Behr Bonz multicart is no longer available

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Please note the Behr Bonz multicart is no longer available.
Be normal.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

What a shame. I'm glad I bought mine before it was discontinued.

Barney
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Based on its capabilities, it was a good value.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

6502dude wrote:Based on its capabilities, it was a good value.
It certainly was. I stuffed mine into a Gorf cart and it was the best decision I made all last year! A great piece of kit. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

It'll be quite a collector's item. I just couldn't afford it at the time it was available. (jealous)
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

It is still possible for people to make their own Behr Bonz multicart using the published schematics and a 27C160 EPROM. Just replace the 1N4148 diodes with 1N6263.

I sell the programmed EPROM for 10$ US each plus cost of shipping. Please specify NTSC or PAL version.

Shipping to the US is 10$, rest of the world is 11$
Be normal.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

eslapion wrote:It is still possible for people to make their own Behr Bonz multicart...

[snip]

I sell the programmed EPROM for 10$ US each plus cost of shipping. Please specify NTSC or PAL version.
I did not know that. At last weekend's Notacon/Blockparty, I was telling everyone that though the Behr-Bonz had come out last year, it was not being produced, but if the developer received enough interest, another run could be made.

Because I couldn't find my NTSC version, I plugged the PAL version of the cart into a NTSC VIC-20 and used Larry Anderson's NTSC/PAL monitor/t.v.. I had to warn the gamers that the PAL games would not be quite right. :) Ah, well, they enjoyed playing the games on it anyway.

Back from Notacon/Blockparty,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
July 25-26 CommVEx v5 - http://www.commodore.ca/forum and click on ComVEX
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

If you use a NTSC computer with PAL software, there is no point locating a multisystem monitor since the computer will anyway generate a NTSC video signal. In this it is only a matter of games being misaligned on screen and some not working due to timing differences. Only if you had a PAL VIC-20 it had made sense to use a NTSC/PAL monitor.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

carlsson wrote:If you use a NTSC computer with PAL software, there is no point locating a multisystem monitor...
(snip)
Only if you had a PAL VIC-20 it had made sense to use a NTSC/PAL monitor.
However, the PAL C64 DTV needed that monitor.

Having had to explain the NTSC and
PAL C64 DTVs to the crowd,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
July 25-26 CommVEx v5 - http://www.commodore.ca/forum and click on ComVEX
thecommodore
Vic 20 Newbie

i'll buy one

Post by thecommodore »

if someone wants to make one or sell it i will buy one now!
thecommodore
Vic 20 Newbie

CRIKEY!

Post by thecommodore »

just seen mega-cart
crumbs!
i must admit i LOVE the vic so much (got c64 and amiga too since childhood) but mostly for the sound/music/voice stuff
but because of my lack of old school dedication and patience, almost every time i switch it on there is some kind of problem, which makes me not use it much, and consequently not check this forum enough
i never heard of this, i only heard of the other cart yesterday and will certainly save up to buy one - awesome

there is a game for vic 16k called star warp II, it is like a star trek style adventure game, a bit like a tiny verion of elite my mate had on bbc
i have never heard a mention of it, it was retail, uk
i'd like to share it - is recording a wav file from tape sufficient?

forgot to say, i've read a few conflicting reports, which VIC is faster or better, NTSC or PAL - I read USA versions were slower, but somewhere else they were faster (running from uk). my vic 1020 expander is european voltage but i have both kinds of VIC so need to decide which version of the cart to buy? do yuo sell these mega carts on ebay? should do...

wish they would do a audio/music package for the vic like 'mssiah' for c64, with all the old software on too, this would breath new life into the vic coz its sid chip RULEZ all others - anyone interested?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

There is no SID chip in the VIC-20. Its audio is generated from a combined video and sound chip, the VIC-I. Although there are a couple of music programs (some present on the Mega-Cart), most are pretty basic.

I haven't seen or tried MSSIAH myself but got the impression it is rather advanced live play program with MIDI capabilities. I suppose one could put together a MIDI interface for the VIC-20 too. In c:a 1985 there existed some SYNC (?) cartridge, but I don't know about its accompanying software.

Regarding faster or better, I think NTSC and PAL are pretty equal. PAL runs at a slightly higher (0.1 MHz) clock frequency, but has more raster lines to update. A great deal of the new VIC-20 software gets developed towards PAL although most programs run or have a NTSC version too.

I suppose you have a PAL display (TV or monitor) modern enough to get NTSC composite video in colour? If you get NTSC in B&W like many older European sets only can produce, it would be another point why you should focus on PAL. Jack Tramiel would not be too proud of a computer which has eight levels of grey scale. :-D
Anders Carlsson

thecommodore
Vic 20 Newbie

thanks for the reply

Post by thecommodore »

"I suppose one could put together a MIDI interface for the VIC-20 too. In c:a 1985 there existed some SYNC (?) cartridge, but I don't know about its accompanying software. "

among the most important sentences ever typed
how do we make this happen?

more sync cartridge info please anyone? you guys are a secret elite indeed
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

MIDI interface on the VIC-20:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/templarseries/maplin.html

I can't find links to those older designs, but one involved a heavily modified VIC-20 with just a few brightly coloured keys on the keyboard. Perhaps someone else has saved or know where the pictures can be found.
Anders Carlsson

davidv_
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by davidv_ »

Eslapion made me one of those. But i got got sidetracked into doing PC/MAC music software and didnt continue the VIC MIDI Synth project i was thinking about. (i got up to the point where my 6502 code started to decode the incoming MIDI stream)

Its true the VIC-I chip is pretty limited in terms of sound capabilities. I like the waveforms though, its just that you cant do much with them musically due to the limited pitch precision.