Speech Synthesizers for VIC 20

Discuss anything related to the VIC
thecommodore
Vic 20 Newbie

Speech Synthesizers for VIC 20

Post by thecommodore »

hi all, i thought this would make a good thread... any info? fire away please

if anybody could supply me with a copy of the manual for adman electronics speech cart i will be able to work it again, i've forgotten the commands basically, lost the manual in the moove

i've also got alien voice box but never got it to work

i prefer em to c64 versions that i've heard SO FAR, currah etc, the vic ones sound more robotic and basic and harsh
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I would like to restate: If anyone has a speech cart, please post wav files. I would like to preserve good examples. I, for one, have never heard any speech cart for the VIC.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
thecommodore
Vic 20 Newbie

sure

Post by thecommodore »

if i can get hold of the manual for adman i will do so, this will also encourage me to dust off the 2 or 3 others i have and record em
adman was my fave
i need the software program to get alien group box working too...
JagMod
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by JagMod »

I built and programmed a speech cart for the VIC back in the 80's when I was in college. I used a chip Radio Shack was selling at the time.
Actually wasn't a cart, but a white experimental board hooked up to the user port.
JagMod
yago
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by yago »

Some friend lend me his "speak easy" speech cartridge, which plugs into userport, and is therefore compatible with c64 and vic20.

I used that beast also on several demos, for example "knochentanz"

http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=29965

I also recorded an mp3 from it, please forgive the bad quality
http://k2.untergrund.net/music/knochentanz.mp3

The used chip inside the speak easy cart is a SP0256.

Some of viznut/pwp excellent demos even have software speech synthesizers[/url]
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

I have a Jameco Speech Synthesizer that works on the user port and that which I used with my VIC-20. I'll try to hook it up and record it.

Jim
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I still wonder if the C64 version of SAM, the Software Automatic Mouth could be ported to the VIC-20. I've spoken with a highly skilled coder who doubted it, but as far as I understand it is made up from sampled phonemes put in order. One of those days when I have absolutely nothing else to do (i.e. in 30 years from now), I will try to disassemble the program and have a look.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I was thinking about the very same idea of taking brief samples and making some sort of tiny synthesizer on the Vic - but the problem would be quality.
Viznut's stuff is the closest thing to what I've ever seen done on a stock Vic...
Learning all the time... :)