S-video hack dumb question

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

TarkaTOtter
Vic 20 Dabbler

S-video hack dumb question

Post by TarkaTOtter »

If I get the s-video hack done and I reconnect the RF box (by stupidity) will I still get a picture on the TV?

Serious question now - anyone know who can do the S-video hack for me, in the UK, I'll pay for it.

I cannot work in such a small space and am scared of damaging the pcb or other nearby components.

(have not touched a soldering iron in over 20 years and even then it was just a hobby)

regards Tarka
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

I don't know in UK but i'm sure Eslapion (Canada) may do this work for you.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

nbla000 wrote:I don't know in UK but i'm sure Eslapion (Canada) may do this work for you.
He can do anything. After I joked about a top loading VIC, he made one in just a few hours!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
matsondawson
The Most Noble Order of Denial

Re: S-video hack dumb question

Post by matsondawson »

TarkaTOtter wrote:If I get the s-video hack done and I reconnect the RF box (by stupidity) will I still get a picture on the TV?

Serious question now - anyone know who can do the S-video hack for me, in the UK, I'll pay for it.

I cannot work in such a small space and am scared of damaging the pcb or other nearby components.

(have not touched a soldering iron in over 20 years and even then it was just a hobby)

regards Tarka
If it's the same as mine, you'll either get gray scale, or smeared colour offset maybe 1/8th of a screen.
a4000bear
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by a4000bear »

TarkaTOtter wrote:If I get the s-video hack done and I reconnect the RF box (by stupidity) will I still get a picture on the TV?

regards Tarka
You will get a monochrome (B&W) image. You may sometimes get some very poor colouration depending on stray capacitance etc.

It would be possible to modify the cable and plug to the modulator to join the two signals back into a composite signal, within the modulator instead of within the VIC, so you would have a colour picture.
TarkaTOtter
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by TarkaTOtter »

a4000bear wrote:

regards Tarka
You will get a monochrome (B&W) image. You may sometimes get some very poor colouration depending on stray capacitance etc.

It would be possible to modify the cable and plug to the modulator to join the two signals back into a composite signal, within the modulator instead of within the VIC, so you would have a colour picture.
Now thats an idea - I have 2 vics, I want to leave as one original, and have 1 for daily use as s-video.
If I join the Lum and Chrom pins in the modulator plug I guess I can have 1 Modulator for both computers. In case I take the wrong cable.

Can anyone see a problem with a hacked modulator cable?

(apart from the problem if I take my original Vic with the S-video cable of course :roll: )