An old Vic lives again

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

amramsey
Vic 20 Hobbyist

An old Vic lives again

Post by amramsey »

I have a few broken Vics sitting in my closet (along with some other machines), just waiting for me to get around the fixing them. I just can't seem to pass up a poor broken and cheap machine on Ebay for some reason. :lol:

Anyhow, ran across this thread on AtariAge a few weeks ago : http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.ph ... pic=142755. I'm not even sure how I stumbled on it, normally I don't check out the for-sale action over there. Anyhow, the plus/4 motherboard got me interested as I've got one that has never worked, so I PM'd the guy. Turns out that he has an *ssload of various commodore chips in addition to what he is listing. So I picked up the Plus/4 motherboard, a spare TED chip + a vic video chip for good luck.

Got the parcel last night and finally had to chance to swap out some stuff. Got the Vic and +4 up and running by swapping in the new video chips so I'm a happy camper. Tested out the plus/4 motherboard and its a runner too so I guess I've good for parts on that thing for a while to come. :D

Had to crazy glue a key back on the the Vic also and now its good to go. I don't know how I manage to get machines with a broken '4' key.... I've got two of them. Strange. I've got one last broken Vic in the closet which needs new interface chips, a new video chip, a new keyboard as well as a new joystick port. I'm still scratching my head on how the guy managed to screw that thing up so bad. looks like he cracked the joystick port pins inside the machine somehow and then tried to solder it back together, bridged the 5V line onto some of others and partially smoked the interface chip. :roll: Well.... I don't think it smoked the first time he fired it up because he's got tinfoil wrapped around the fuse so I'm guessing it blew the fuse before anything got too damaged, he basically eliminated the fuse and then managed to really fubar it when it fired it up again. :x

Given the amount of stuff that one needs, I may just keep it for various other pieces.

Anyhow, if anyone needs various bits and pieces, Mirage1972 has great prices and cheap shipping (even to canuckland) so he's highly recommended.
channelmaniac
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by channelmaniac »

Sweet!

Do yourself a big favor and HEATSINK THAT TED CHIP!!! ;)
Call me a cheap bastard... I learned to fix things to save money... even surface mount soldering...

Visit my website: http://www.arcadecomponents.com
matsondawson
The Most Noble Order of Denial

Post by matsondawson »

Funny, I remember when I was real young my Vic 20's power supply went. And I stuffed tinfoil in the fuse socket...
Number of times I've stuck metal in sockets as a child, I'm surprised I'm still alive.
brighty
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by brighty »

matsondawson wrote:Funny, I remember when I was real young my Vic 20's power supply went. And I stuffed tinfoil in the fuse socket...
Number of times I've stuck metal in sockets as a child, I'm surprised I'm still alive.
:D :D
I did this as a kid too. I stuck a set of spare keys into a 240v electrical socket, there was a flash, a strange feeling in my arms and the next thing I knew I had hysterical parents around me and shouting at me!

Perhaps more common than we think in amongst our community ;)

I always find 6502dudes' icon rather nostalgic :D :D
amramsey
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by amramsey »

channelmaniac wrote:Sweet!

Do yourself a big favor and HEATSINK THAT TED CHIP!!! ;)
The RF shield box has a piece that comes down to tough the TED. I spread new thermal grease on there but you are right, I should likely ditch the RF lid and put a nice big heatsink on there.

I've always felt that the plus/4 and C16 fit into the same boat as the Vic-20.... sort of the red-haired stepchildren of the C= family. :D The C64 and Amiga models really overshadowed all these machines sadly.
shem
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by shem »

I'm in the process of upgrading a c16 to 64K internally at the moment gonna replace the old red LED with a nice blue one :D
I'll take my cart to go thank you ;)
tjlazer
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by tjlazer »

How does Super gluing a broken key work out? Does it work ok?
Commodore collector
Vic 20, C64/128 and Amiga