uIEC/SD fo Dummies

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Did you restore the card to 2GB?
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Check out "sd2iec Read Me" since the uIEC/SD comes with sd2iec firmware.
I did, I like, and re-formatted with spell-check into a PDF for a bit easier-on-the-aging-eyes to read. Download: UIEC.pdf 8)
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

gklinger wrote:Did you restore the card to 2GB?
No, I still don't know how to do that. :(
carlsson wrote:Previously modded? Do you care to explain what your VIC can do that most of the others can't?

I'm not sure. Like most modded VICs it has a reset button and a little toggle switch near the expansion port. I'm embarrassed to admit I am not really sure how these mods were used. I know some copied carts to disk, but I don't know how.

Wow, I really feel like a dummy in this thread. :?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

I got my two Transcend SD cards (2GB) in today, along with a Kingston MobileLite USB 2.0 9-in-1 reader -- all from www.wiredzone.com.

Drop some PRG files and a D64 file from Vista64 workstation and promptly moved it to the VIC ... voila, a big-assed drive at my disposal -- woot!!! 8)

I have never seen Quikman 2K8 run on a real VIC, nor my VIC-SSS demo with 3K expansion -- very cool. Machine emulation is nice, but seeing it in action on the real McCoy using a bat-handled joystick can never be replaced.

If you do not own one of these, get them while they last -- a truly irreplaceable geek toy. Thanks Jim Brain! :D
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

Maybe I missed it, but where would I order 1 of uIED devices from?
Rob
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

rhurst wrote:If you do not own one of these, get them while they last -- a truly irreplaceable geek toy. Thanks Jim Brain! :D
no problem. I have plenty, and I can make more. For those who care, the hardware design and SW are both under GPL (SW under v2, HW under v2 or v3, your choice), so the design will outlive me.

Jim
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I want my files to appear in the order they were saved, like a real disk drive -- newest file at the bottom of the directory listing. Is there a way to do this?

Also, how do I permanently change the drive number? I know it was already discussed somewhere here, but I can't find it now.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Your second question is answered here:
http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/uIEC

OPEN 1,10,15:PRINT #1,"U0>"+CHR$(device):CLOSE 1
OPEN 1,device,15:PRINT #1,"XW":CLOSE 1

I'm not sure, but I think you need to open the channel twice because you changed the device number in the middle of a session so the drive would not react on the next command.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Jeff-20 wrote:I want my files to appear in the order they were saved, like a real disk drive -- newest file at the bottom of the directory listing. Is there a way to do this?
The FAT file systems works like CBM DOS. When creating a new file, the system scans the directory for a "free" entry slot, and creates the entry there. Thus, to have newest files at the bottom, you need to format the disk and then only create files, not delete them.

jim
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

With these new-fangled OS's employing a graphical user interface, the built-in alphabetic, or date-based sort will disturb a custom sort present in the FAT or CBM-DOS directory - at least on display. ;)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I think I miss the hum and rattle of a traditional disk drive because my mind fills in the sound for me! I am sure I hear phantom noises from my uiec! Distinct 1541 motor sounds. :lol
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Jeff: Did you know that the 1541 Ultimate accurately reproduces the sounds of the 1541?
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I didn't even know what a 1541 Ultimate was until now (I googled it). Is that even remotely VIC related?
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Jeff-20 wrote:I didn't even know what a 1541 Ultimate was until now (I googled it).
Weird. It has been discussed here many times. There's even a 1541 Ultimate thread all about it.
Is that even remotely VIC related?
It can be used with a VIC-20 in 'stand alone mode' in which it operates like, exactly like, a 1541. In stand alone mode you lose some of the extras that make it such a great device so it's probably better suited to be used on a 64 but it works just fine on a VIC-20. I use mine a little differently. I have it plugged into a 64 and I have it connected to both the 64 and the VIC-20. When I'm using the VIC-20 the 64 acts only as a device to select disk images the 1541U will use.