What is the definitive Vic Version of.......?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

What is the definitive Vic Version of.......?

Post by Vic20-Ian »

This is a new Thread that is designed to evolve through game types.

The idea is that I will start the thread off with Asteroids and ask for your favourite versions to identify the definitive version for the Vic and why.

Once Asteroids is exhausted we will move on to another game.

At the end we should see whether we need to encourage a new 2009 version due to the lack of a great Vic version.

So, Asteroids on the Vic - What is the best version and Why?
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

I think Bug Byte Asteroids has the edge over Solar Softwares Asteroyds.

Bug Byte has slightly stilted motion of the ship but the gameplay has three rock sizes and the level gets progressively harder.

Asteroyds on the other hand has a faster scrolling display but the gameplay is easy. Just point vertically upwards and hold down fire and never get hit by the asteroyds. Only 2 sizes of asteroyd 4 chars and 1 char.

Any other known versions?
Vic20-Ian

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I've never seen a really great version of Asteroids for the VIC-20 (I'm not counting games like Omega-Race or Tom Griner's Black Hole since we're trying to find definitive versions of a purely Asteroids type game).
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Does Moons of Jupiter count?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Does it have Asteroids that break up into smaller pieces and a rotating ship that can thrust around? Hyperspace is a nice to have but not essential.

Myriad has asteroids in it but too many other aliens to be classed as an Asteroids clone.

Having looked and found only 3 games with vaguely asteroids type name and finding one was not eligible, I think we might need a 2009 version!
Vic20-Ian

Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

There is a particularly poor Asteroids clone in the TOSEC set called, funnily enough, Asteroids. It is truly abominable! Every time you shoot the action stops until the 'shot' is finished - and it's on a white playfield!

The other two versions mentioned each have glaring weaknesses which is a real shame when you consider the smooth glory that is Omega Race. If I was to choose one I would have to be contrary and pick Asteroyds - but that's only because I have a soft spot for Solar Software.

It really does seem, though, that there is room for a new (and decent!) Asteroids clone on the Vic. Maybe we could pressure rhurst to use his Omega Fury engine to make an Asteroids flavour game set in the Omegan universe...c'mon rhurst, you know you want to! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

c'mon rhurst, you know you want to!
25 years ago, I did ... I even had a mock-up version of it running on my screen. The "A" ship was buzzing about, two "rocks" were floating. There was no way (then) I could work efficiently on the target machine to write a decent version of the game ... at the time, you needed a PET computer, with a real editor and assembler, to do arcade development.

I read that Commodore had a VAX for their software engineers to use, as they ported their assembler into that. I had access to PDP and VAX back then, too bad there wasn't a "copy" about ... :cry:

Even when I got my 128 in June 1985, the built-in monitor was not enough. it would be almost 3-years later when I got my hands on Merlin 128 -- the only problem was, the 8-bit era was almost gone by then. I began, but never completed, a Bubble Bobble clone on the 128.

Thank goodness for machine emulation and modern 6502 tools!! 8)
I am enjoying scratching those 20+ year old itches (and the scabs are healing nicely :P )

So maybe a decent asteroids game is feasible -- it's promising given the early results from Omega Fury. But until that is done, I am not making any guarantees. :wink:

I also got some other saved game programs from a high school friend -- with one that never got officially published, although he tried desperately to do so. I will be posting them up on my web site shortly -- stay tuned!
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
I'll pay you to make a Bubble Bobble port for the Vic! :P

In theory, how much work would be involved in using your 'Omega' engine (to coin a phrase!) to creat and Asteroids game? Would you ever release the engine to allow others to try, at all? Not me - I wouldn't know where to begin! I'm just curious. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:In theory, how much work would be involved in using your 'Omega' engine (to coin a phrase!) to create and Asteroids game? Would you ever release the engine to allow others to try, at all?
I don't think it could be adapted, given the expectations of an Asteroid clone. Implementing a monochrome, wire-framed, vector-like graphic can be achieved using a fully bit-mapped screen, like Omega Race, for MUCH more efficiency to support a larger contingency of rocks -- as it does not require different colors and the rocks are see-through and not even animated.

The "engine" is released... open source, baby, the only way to go! Put ".s" instead of ".prg" after omega-fury in the URL to download and you get the source. I will post a "real" entry only after it is suitable to announce for release.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Yes, but your engine could make a good port of Atari 2600 asteriods (non vector).

http://www.consoleclassix.com/info_img/ ... nShot2.jpg

I'd bet it could even make a good attempt at Atari 7800 Asteroids.

http://www.atariprotos.com/7800/softwar ... oids_7.png
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Next up Galaxions!

As I have Mame to play this I am usually spoiled. What about the VIC20 versions.

What is your favourite version and why?
Vic20-Ian

Tepic
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Tepic »

There can be only one. Star Battle published as a cart by commodore.
DanSolo
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by DanSolo »

I thought this might be of interest to any Asteroids fans out there. By which I mean it'll make you :roll:
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

What is going on in this crazy world?! Who has the film rights to Simon?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

What is going on in this crazy world?!
Hey, I am hoping the millions of google bots provide "a clue" to some rich studio looking for the next best thing in a space sci-fi storyline. I'll settle for 10,000 Canadian. :P