14%
10 or more
19%

Total votes: 37

gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

How Many Game Cartridges Did You Have?

Post by gklinger »

I'm immensely curious about the business facet of the VIC-20 so I'm posting a few different polls (thanks for voting!) to find out more about people's setups back in the day. In this case I'm wondering how many game cartridges (not utility carts or RAM expanders) you had back when your VIC-20 was your primary computer.

If you remember what cartridges you had and you want to list them, that would be great too.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Neither my brother nor me when I took over his VIC-20 had any games or other cartridges. We once borrowed three games from a friend of his (Road Race, A World at War, can't remember the third one).

My very first cartridge was a 12K (!) RAM expansion with room for another 2K if I could have afforded. It used to contain some demo software, removed before reselling the cartridge. It was bought perhaps late 1985, early 1986.

My very first game cartridges were Avenger, Shamus and Pirate's Cove, included with the VIC-20 I bought in 1994-95. It lasted for a week or so. Fortunately I found another boxed two-prong VIC-20 locally right after that. It camed with boxed Jelly Monsters and some more game. So in practise, it took me 10 years to get ahold of my first game cartridge.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Only one: Radar Rat Race, bought in a department store in Hamburg on a holiday trip to Germany in the summer of 1983.

I had one legit game on cassette too: Skramble.

All other games (quite a few) were pirated copies on cassette.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Bacon wrote:Only one: Radar Rat Race, bought in a department store in Hamburg on a holiday trip to Germany in the summer of 1983.

I had one legit game on cassette too: Skramble.

All other games (quite a few) were pirated copies on cassette.
Pretty much the same (incredible how similar were our VIC stories all over Europe :wink: ): Radar Rat Race, plus cassettes from the newsstand (mostly pirated games).
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I can't remember exactly which ones I had but I know I didn't have many. I certainly had the ubiquitous Avenger but also Adventureland, Jupiter Lander, Omega Race but other than that I'm not sure - it was a long time ago!

Nobody I knew then had carts. They really weren't a big thing around here. Everybody bought tapes so very few shops actually stocked carts. As a wee kid I could never understand why every game wasn't released in a big box on robust media with instant loading...Now, as a cynical adult, I get the economics of it all. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

No original game cartridges actually.

I bought a 3K expander in 1986, and found a Personal Finance cart on a flea market in 1995. I converted the Personal Finance cart to a game cartridge holding a self-written BASIC game in 2006.

Greetings,

Michael
Last edited by Mike on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

ORIGINALLY (i.e. back in the day) I had:

Omega Race
Gorf
Garden Wars
...for sure.

And I might have also had VIC Avenger.

Of course I traded cartridges temporarily for weekends with friends.
Everything else was on tape.

Nowadays I own between 80-100 different cartridges I think - but that doesn't count for this poll.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

ral-clan wrote:Nowadays I own between 80-100 different cartridges I think - but that doesn't count for this poll.
Which makes me wonder, does the Mega-Cart count as one cartridge or all cartridges? :)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

One. We're talking physical items here, not what they contain ;)

(for the record, I think I'm up to about 150 now)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Mayhem: To the best of you knowledge, how many VIC-20 game cartridges were there in total?
Gary_Leeds
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Gary_Leeds »

off the top of my head and without looking at a list i had

Cosmic Cruncher
Donkey Kong
Omega Race
Money Wars
Clowns
Radar Rat Race
Gorf
Mole Attack
Jupiter Lander
Super Slot
Avenger
Jailbreak
Defender
All the scott adams carts

So thats about 18 but im sure i had more of the Atari range as well so probably about 25 in total
formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

I have no cartridge, no tapes and no disks, I only have programs writes by me (all lost in time) and copied from a spanish magazine called Club Commodore.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

gklinger wrote:Mayhem: To the best of you knowledge, how many VIC-20 game cartridges were there in total?
If we're just talking games here, then according to my files for DP there are 175 US and 19 non-US cartridges known so far (although this does not discount duplication for say the Audiogenic releases in the UK and of course the highly rare 3 Japanese releases of Pac-man, Galaxian and Rally-X). I haven't got any of the Handic duplications listed yet, I may fill that in with due time...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Ivanhoe76
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Ivanhoe76 »

Cartridges I had in the early 80's were:
-The count
-Pirate's cove
-Pinball spectacular
-Clowns
-Road Race
No one should tolerate death and violence because tolerance will generate habit.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

I didn't buy any.

I bought Vic-20 for programming and to solve some math problems more quickly and easlity than doing the problems with a calculator.

Latter, I picked up a couple of cassette based games (Power Blaster + Alphoids) to check out graphics. I don't think I have ever played these games for more than 5 mins each in total, since buying them.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20