When Did You Get Your First VIC-20 (Part II)

Discuss anything related to the VIC

When did you get your first VIC-20?

5%
30%
18%
10%
5%
3%
3%
1988 or later.
28%
I don't have a VIC-20.
No votes

Total votes: 40

gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

When Did You Get Your First VIC-20 (Part II)

Post by gklinger »

I'm curious about when people got their first VIC-20s. I realize we already have this thread but I'm starting a new one because I'd like to attach a poll. The threads can be merged if need be. I included the last option for completeness but if you fall into that category, shame on you! ;)

I'm also curious what peripherals you got with your VIC-20, if any, so please post details if possible.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
shem
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by shem »

Well I got my vic in late 1986 In the Uk the 64 ruled the commodore market by this time so there wasn' much software available by the time i got the vic
so I had to learn basic then assembly and write my own games

I remember going to the library on a regular basis to see what vic20 listings I could find
I'll take my cart to go thank you ;)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Christmas Day 1982 - and BOY WAS I EXCITED! First computer/video game I ever owned. A Christmas gift from my parents.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

ral-clan wrote:Christmas Day 1982 - and BOY WAS I EXCITED! First computer/video game I ever owned. A Christmas gift from my parents.
Pretty much the same story here :D
Learning all the time... :)
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Any peripherals? Datasette? Disk drive?
amramsey
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by amramsey »

Xmas day, 1982. The Vic, a datasette, Omega Race and Cosmic Cruncher. My third game would have been the shooting game in the back of the basic manual within a few days of that. I learned soon after that not to wiggle the power bar with my foot while typing in games. :? :lol: :lol:

I added Gorf to my collection about a month later (my birthday) and after that a bunch of Scott Adams games, and a handful of forgotten titles as the prices dropped over the next two years. I do remember paying an absolute fortune for a Super Expander.

I didn't get a disk drive until I upgraded to a C64 in around 1985.
Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Zeela »

I got my first VIC in 2003 :)
Check out my humble collection of old 'puters an such
http://www.zeela.se
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Zeela wrote:I got my first VIC in 2003 :)
Really? That's awesome. Did you already have a 64 and decided to check out its older brother? I'm interested in hearing what you favourite games are since you came to the VIC when games were more readily available.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

darkatx wrote:
ral-clan wrote:Christmas Day 1982 - and BOY WAS I EXCITED! First computer/video game I ever owned. A Christmas gift from my parents.
Me too, although in Sweden we get our presents in the evening on Christmas Eve. It was a present for me and my two brothers.

I think we had a Datassette from the beginning, and probably two white Commodore joysticks (could have come later, I'm not sure). Later on we bought a switchable (16K?) RAM expansion.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

darkatx wrote:
Idem, but in 1983 :D .
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I got mine really late when the 64s were hot and the VICs were on discount.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Christmas 1985. A local shop, called What Every Woman Wants, must've bought a job lot at the end of the Vic's life. It cost £40 with a Datasette and (I think!) a six pack of CBM games. The only other hardware I had was a 16k RAM pack and the Programmer's Aid cart.

If you count joysticks et cetera, the first joystick I got was a Crack Shot which lasted about a week before it started playing up. Eventually, I convinced my dad to invest in a Quickshot II Turbo. It cost £12.99 which was a fortune for us back then but, boy, did it last! :)

Oh, I also made a dust cover in Home Economice class at school. It was flourescent yellow and I thought it was cool but it probably doesn't count in this poll... :P
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

orion70 wrote:
darkatx wrote:
Idem, but in 1983 :D .
Also in 1983. :mrgreen:
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:A local shop, called What Every Woman Wants, must've bought a job lot at the end of the Vic's life.
So actually a somewhat outdated home computer was not what Every Woman wanted? At least not at that time in history. Just the other day we speculated where all the female VIC users are, and as you seem to have bought your first VIC in a "ladies store" :oops:, there should have been plenty of women owning one.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

gklinger wrote:
Zeela wrote:I got my first VIC in 2003 :)
Really? That's awesome. Did you already have a 64 and decided to check out its older brother? I'm interested in hearing what you favourite games are since you came to the VIC when games were more readily available.
Not until 2002 here, my brother's gf finds hers in the loft and asks me if I'd like it. As a lot of people know I'd been part of the C64 scene since 1984, so it was time to check out its predecessor...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...