Omega Fury

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

adric22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by adric22 »

Pedro Lambrini wrote: I have to say, though, that as much as I enjoy Quikman I genuinely believe Omega Fury to be one of the best games ever produced for the Vic. It is slick and sophisticated and feels like a real leap forward in the development of games (along with ROQ) on the mighty Vic.
What are you basing this on? I will be the first to admit that after playing Omega Fury I was impressed with the technical aspects of the game, such as the colorful software sprites. However, I honestly got bored playing it after 5 minutes because the actual gameplay itself is not much different from Omega Race, which I've been playing since I was 6 years old. So even though it looks better than Omega Race, it isn't any more fun. Don't get me wrong, Omega Race used to be fun for me, but after the first 20 years or so of playing it, I think I just wore it out. Same goes for Pacman, defender, Q-bert, etc..

That is why I wanted to put my programming efforts into creating something new and different.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

adric22 wrote:
Pedro Lambrini wrote: I have to say, though, that as much as I enjoy Quikman I genuinely believe Omega Fury to be one of the best games ever produced for the Vic. It is slick and sophisticated and feels like a real leap forward in the development of games (along with ROQ) on the mighty Vic.
What are you basing this on?...
My opinion. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
adric22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by adric22 »

Pedro Lambrini wrote: My opinion. :)
Well, I knew that. What I meant was do you think it is the best game because it is the most fun VIC-20 game? Or do you think it is the highest level of technical achievement? (or both?)
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Thanks for these opinions/feedbacks. I get bored after 5-minutes of any classic arcade game, myself, but I never tire of my favorites, such as Mr. Do!, and will return to play it over and over. So I respect that peeps can get bored with this game after 5-minutes; most space-shooters don't command an attention span much beyond that.

So, yeah, kind of the point with Omega Fury -- it's supposed to play 'like' Omega Race. After all, it's a sequel, not a clone or remake, so I wanted the basis of its game to remain identifiable and play out within an "arena", but certainly take the opportunity to enhance and expand upon each characteristic given the new storyline.

adric22 pointed out one of its technical charms, like colorful sprites, but felt like it plays too much like Omega Race. I like to think it offers much more enhanced play and technical charms than just that, especially given the storyline behind it which sets the context that the physics, objects, and AI are all played out. Please consider, if not tolerate, this itemization for how this sequel plays differently over the original:

- hires with all 8 primary colors and an alternate color pulsing are in use, over monochrome vector-style graphics;
- the playfield is larger than original, and the action is freer to play out into this more expansive area;
- physics for thrusting, braking, and turning are more inline with a space game;
- up to four enemy ships can be aggressive at once with differing characteristics and tactics, not just two;
- four mine types with differing characteristics, instead of two mine types with a single characteristic;
- hull point values on all objects using a hit point system, instead of single collision or single shot obliteration;
- an energized weapon system;
- an improved storyline and objective, rather than galaxy-renowned training with android ships;
- single ship for a pilot to reach the highest rank, over multiple lives and a bonus value system; and
- 16k footprint over 8k

Yes, most of these items can be viewed for its mere 'technical improvements' that were made possible because it is a larger program. But what I was hoping to achieve was some kind of 'continuity' from that original classic into a game that offered improved gameplay with its physics, more personality in all of the enemy targets, and a different mission in protecting the center objective with your life.

Other than that, one can look at it blandly as just another ho-hum space-shooter for a nearly 30-year old machine... and any "new" game that gets 5-minutes of charm from this dinosaur and audience is all that can be expected and appreciated. :P

That's why I asked and found Pedro's comments spot on. It was the story in the making, re-discovering, and completing of Quikman, rather than the polished replica from the game itself that caused the mass appeal. I get it now, and thanks for that reality check! :D
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

I'd like to add, that beyond the case of Omega Fury, or Quikman, many of us had some ideas in mind to program in the 80'ies, that never got realised then. That happened, because we got a bigger computer, still didn't have the programming experience, wouldn't appreciate the cross-development idea. There didn't exist emulators. And so on.

We've simply "returned home", and now want to see what is possible to achieve with the VIC-20. And we must acknowledge it's still good for some surprises. :D
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Tried my hand at 8-bit artwork beyond simple sprites... and I did it while re-using some of that "zero" RAM in the process, so Mike can't hold it against me that I am wasting disk space. :P

Play it online or download the archive. Enjoy!
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
Nice! Not quite the CG animation I had predicted but not bad... :)

Now, release this on a cart with hi-score saving and I'll be a happy man!
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

adric22 wrote: ...do you think it is the best game because it is the most fun VIC-20 game? Or do you think it is the highest level of technical achievement? (or both?)
Sorry for not responding sooner (been busy!). The presentation of the game does a really good job of setting the game up. It doesn't push the machine to breaking while conveying a very polished atmosphere...you know that the game is going to be good, at least from a technical perspective! To me there is nothing more annoying in a game than shoddy presentation. First impressions do count and the game impresses in the first instance!

The game-play lives up to that initial hope. Very polished, very slick and, most importantly, when I screw up as a player I never feel it is the game's fault. The engine never lets you down and the game always feels smooth and the ship always feels like it's under MY control.

There are, of course, things in the game that I would've done differently (if I could code anywhere near that level!!) but as a single persons concept and implementation I can't really fault it in any way. I really am that impressed!
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Quite a few small changes I believe are worth posting about. Merged the latest software sprite stack, changes to some graphics, and corrected enemy ship boundaries for a higher degree of freedom within the playfield. Nothing too drastic, mainly some irritating bits that were bothering me. :P

If you have not played this game yet, give it a try. Download from this folder or play it online.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Just replayed it a bit on line... a bit very long :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
vicassembly
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by vicassembly »

I continue to be impressed by your programming!
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

So Atarileaf that created this video review of Omega Race is taking me on to review Omega Fury. Fortunately, he has a VIC-1111 16k RAM expander, but only a tape drive.

Wow, I just saved +16k Omega Fury and Berzerk MMX on one side with +8k Quikman and Berzerk on the other side, verified, and for two tapes. Crikey, that took a v-e-r-y l-o-n-g time -- I really don't miss tape. And I really have a new respect for Jeff's Denial collection he distributed to MANY people on tape.

Whew!!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Six (and for some, seven) programs per tape. I almost lost my mind.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.