New Release: Un

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

New Release: Un

Post by Jeff-20 »

Un
A game for the Unexpanded Vic 20, keyboard controlled. All BASIC.

Again, insomnia attacked last night. I decided to edit my last game, Ten Ten. After that, I was still not sleepy. I decided to make another game as fast as I could. Here's the idea:

I started to think about how every game I've made recently seems to remind someone of another game. I'm sick of it! It seems like every idea is taken. It reminds me of that South Park episode, "Simpsons Already Did It"!

So I put all of energy into developing a completely new concept in game play. Here it is -- a completely original game! Unlike any other ever made. It's a card game. I call it "Un" based on the french word for one. The idea is actually quite simple:

Gameplay:
In this completely original card game, the object is to be the first player to rid yourself of all the cards in your hand before your opponents do so.

Each player is dealt 7 cards with the remaining ones placed face down to form a DRAW pile. The top card of the DRAW pile is turned over to begin a DISCARD pile.

The first player has to match the card in the DISCARD pile either by number, color or word. For example, if the card is a red 7, player must throw down a red card or any color 7. Or the player can throw down a Wild Card. If the player doesn't have anything to match, he must pick a card from the DRAW pile.

Once a player has no cards left, the game is over.

Draw Two Cards - When this card is played, the next person to play must draw 2 cards and forfeit his turn.

Reverse Card - Simply reverse direction of play. Play left becomes play right, and vice versa.

Skip Card - The next player to play loses his turn and is "skipped." Mighty clever.

Wild Card - This card can be played on any card. The person playing the card calls any color to continue play, including the one presently being played if desired. A Wild card can be played even if the player has another playable card in his hand.

I made this game super fast; however, it could be one of the sloppiest examples of programming I have ever offered you guys. Apparently, the "music" only sounds good when one is sleep deprived at 4am.

Download
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

This sounds like a card game I learned in College called "Perfect hand."

Sorry, Jeff... :oops:

:wink:
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

DigitalQuirk wrote:This sounds like a card game I learned in College called "Perfect hand."

Wait, you didn't even play the game, but you want to tell me it is not an original idea because it sounds like something you heard of years ago?
Richard James
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Richard James »

I score this game a one out of one.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I think it sounds similar to the card game Uno by Merle Roberts, but I haven't yet played your version.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Now, I don't see the rule about declaring, "Un!", as you are playing your second-to-last card, though? And here I had huge expectations of using my integrated mic on my HP display with HDMI, too. I did play the game, and the VIC characters did all the talking, while I did all the drawing. :P

I take Un means ONE hand? No scoring at the end? Well, this certainly is not the wildly popular card game, Uno, then ... but it is an excellent teaser. :wink:

I like its graphics and your organization of the VIC's display. One detail might have been erasing the YOU playing card with a SPACE, followed by a DELETE to move the remaining cards back to their right. And simply append any drawn cards.

And I finally get why this web site is called DENIAL. :o
Nice job!!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

You guys are crazy! There is absolutely no relationship between my completely original card game, UN and the incredibly popular, ubiquitous card game, UNO!

UNO means one in Spanish. Un means one in French. The similarity in card design and game play is pure coincidence.

And Yes, rhurst, you must shout "Uno"... I mean "Un" (not Uno!) when you have one card. The computer will do it for you, but it only counts if the player yells it aloud along with the computer's two beep sound. Yeah, I know Un only has one syllable, but two beeps felt right.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I'm interested to know what the AI is for the other players btw :)

Nicely programmed especially in such a short time... had some games at the second difficulty level and managed to win most of them so I will look to step up next time.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Richard James
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Richard James »

The graphics look great but I think you need to fix the redraw issue. When I played the game my cards were redrawn for every time the computer moved.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Jeff-20 wrote:
DigitalQuirk wrote:This sounds like a card game I learned in College called "Perfect hand."

Wait, you didn't even play the game, but you want to tell me it is not an original idea because it sounds like something you heard of years ago?
I was just teasing you, Jeff. Hence, the :wink:

Good to see your human side... :D

You're an awesome dude in my books, and your games are always the best. If you were a developer back in 1982, you would've been rich. 8)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

DigitalQuirk wrote:I was just teasing you, Jeff. Hence, the :wink:
Yeah, I was just making an observation. Apparently, some can see a similarity between my game and another existing game without even playing it. Sigh. My next game will be impressive; I promise! :lol:
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Jeff-20 wrote:
DigitalQuirk wrote:I was just teasing you, Jeff. Hence, the :wink:
Yeah, I was just making an observation. Apparently, some can see a similarity between my game and another existing game without even playing it. Sigh. My next game will be impressive; I promise! :lol:
Each and every one, thus far, has been impressive.

I promise.

8)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Jeff-20 wrote:You guys are crazy! There is absolutely no relationship between my completely original card game, UN and the incredibly popular, ubiquitous card game, UNO!
Kudos Jeff. I was absolutely struck by the clear and very obvious differences between your singularly unique game "Un" and the incredibly popular, ubiquitous card game "Uno".

Since my daughter absolutely loves "Uno", she should certainly enjoy....er....NOT ENJOY....your strikingly different, unrelated game that goes by an entirely unrelated and obviously entirely distinct title.

Therefore, we will certainly NOT enjoy it as we play it all afternoon today.
8)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Jeff, may I suggest you implement the missing Wildcard/Take4 card? ... eh, this is not UNO?

;)
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

Jeff, very well done! Despite I don't like playing card games on the computer, I've found my self playing several UN matches in a row! Great AI too, it's not easy at all to win a game!

It could be a perfect game if the redraw routine didn't flicker that much.

Thank you for making this videogame, I hope you have more sleepless nights :-)