I just ordered a uIEC/SD

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

I just ordered a uIEC/SD

Post by Jeff-20 »

I need some general advice. I just ordered a uIEC/SD. I have not used SD memory before. I've been having trouble reading SM cards with my laptop unless I use a USB card reader.

Would this be a good item to get with my new uIEC/SD?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sandisk-8GB-Micro-S ... 1|294%3A50

It's on Ebay. Is this a decent price and a reliable item? My ultimate plan is an internal mounted unit such as Schema's mod. I need enough room for all my junk and all of the GB20 stuff.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Jim would better answer the question whether the uIEC supports SDHC cards. If it does not, you are probably limited to 2 GB cards, which should cost you no more than $10 in the supermarket, probably far less than that.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Unseen
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Unseen »

carlsson wrote:Jim would better answer the question whether the uIEC supports SDHC cards.
It does.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Great to hear. It struck me that Jeff's laptop or external card reader also needs to support SDHC in order to transfer any software to the uIEC interface. Perhaps the USB card reader will handle that.
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I picked this auction because it comes with a USB reader. My desktop has no card reader at all, and my laptop has a card reader that doesn't seem to correctly read. I hope the USB reader will solve all of there problems.

Can files be sorted into folders or must everything be in a root directory?
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

You can sort files into folders. I have GAMES, UTILS, DEMOS, etc. The games are in turn sorted into UNEXPANDED, 3K, 16K, etc.

And you can mix D64s in with PRG files, any way you wish. You just treat the D64s as folders.

You'll definitely want JiffyDOS or EasyLoad to make the folders easy to navigate, though.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

OK. This is going to sound stupid, I'm aware of this so please don't laugh but how do I load a file stored on the uIEC? I tried to LOAD"$",8 to get a list of files but it doesn't work - you probably all know that already!

So, how do I play games from this wee bugger?! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Unseen
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Unseen »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:I tried to LOAD"$",8 to get a list of files but it doesn't work - you probably all know that already!
Maybe you can provide additional details, for example what result you got when you tried that command?
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:I tried to LOAD"$",8 to get a list of files but it doesn't work - you probably all know that already!
Try another device #. The uIEC doesn't ship configured as drive #8. :)
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Schema wrote:You can sort files into folders. I have GAMES, UTILS, DEMOS, etc. The games are in turn sorted into UNEXPANDED, 3K, 16K, etc.

And you can mix D64s in with PRG files, any way you wish. You just treat the D64s as folders.

You'll definitely want JiffyDOS or EasyLoad to make the folders easy to navigate, though.
How would folders be managed on an unexpanded VIC? How would one navigate?

Also, if I wanted the entire know VIC library including every tape and type-in, what size SD card would I need?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

My uIEC came preconfigured as device 10, which I quickly changed to 9 in order to access it with Action Replay.

Jeff: There is a special DOS command sent to the uIEC device called CD:

OPEN1,10,15,"CD:DIRECTORY":CLOSE1
OPEN1,10,15,"CD:IMAGE.D64":CLOSE1

If you have a DOS wedge you can just type @"CD:DIRECTORY", in quotes due to not mixing it with the @C file copy command.

After issuing a such command, the next $ or LOAD command takes place inside the folder. You use CD:<- to return to previous directory.
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I assume I need separate folders, right? The directory would need to fit into the 3.5k of memory, so each folder should be about the size of a disk in content? I couldn't just have a huge root directory. So, how would I just list the folders? Load $, 8?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yes. You will get a directory listing where folders have the file type DIR instead of PRG.

How many directory entries can you fit in 3.5K of memory? If every entry takes up 20-25 bytes of memory, you should fit ~150 files per folder. I believe the maximum number of files on a real 1541 floppy disk is thereabouts or a bit lower.. can't be bothered to look it up right now.
Anders Carlsson

PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Jeff-20 wrote:I assume I need separate folders, right? The directory would need to fit into the 3.5k of memory, so each folder should be about the size of a disk in content? I couldn't just have a huge root directory. So, how would I just list the folders? Load $, 8?
It defaults as device 10, so LOAD"$",10 will work.
Unseen
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Unseen »

carlsson wrote:If you have a DOS wedge you can just type @"CD:DIRECTORY", in quotes due to not mixing it with the @C file copy command.
Quoting CD should only be neccessary if you use a DOS wedge that thinks that it's smarter than you and tries to use its own file-copier when it sees @C - the Action Replay is the only one I know that does that.
How many directory entries can you fit in 3.5K of memory? If every entry takes up 20-25 bytes of memory, you should fit ~150 files per folder
Exactly 32 bytes in memory for each line, even header and footer. It's not optimal, but exactly what a real drive would generate.