I just ordered a uIEC/SD

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I've decided to leave the device as number 10 for the time being. However, I still can't get it to load any files. I can get a list of D64 images on the SD card through the LOAD"$",10 command. I then get a list of the images but the titles of the D64's contain characters, such as symbols that look like underscores etc, that I can't find on the keyboard. When I look at the file names in windoze there aren't any funny cahracters in the titles. What am I missing? Thanks in advance. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:I've decided to leave the device as number 10 for the time being. However, I still can't get it to load any files. I can get a list of D64 images on the SD card through the LOAD"$",10 command. I then get a list of the images but the titles of the D64's contain characters, such as symbols that look like underscores etc, that I can't find on the keyboard. When I look at the file names in windoze there aren't any funny cahracters in the titles. What am I missing? Thanks in advance. :)
Swich to uppercase/lowercase mode with SHIFT-Commodore key combination, and I think you'll discover that those strange symbols are simply the shifted values of those characters.
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:I've decided to leave the device as number 10 for the time being. However, I still can't get it to load any files. I can get a list of D64 images on the SD card through the LOAD"$",10 command. I then get a list of the images but the titles of the D64's contain characters, such as symbols that look like underscores etc, that I can't find on the keyboard. When I look at the file names in windoze there aren't any funny cahracters in the titles. What am I missing? Thanks in advance. :)
It sound to me like you've named the d64 images in uppercase characters, which are gfx chars on the c64 when in uppercase mode.

If you view in lowercase mode, I think you'll see they are uppercase characters.

Jim
Richard James
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Richard James »

According to my calculations the 2GB SD card I bought yesterday for 16$ can store over 12000 D64 images. However some of that will be lost for directories and slack space.

I only have one question how do you get started with this thing. If I create a empty D64 in VICE and copy it into the root of the SD card called "empty01.d64" What commands on the VIC20 will I need to type to read and save to it?
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Thanks DQ and Brain. I can't believe how daft I was! :oops:

Anyway, I'm now up and running and I'm pretty happy. Once I get the Mega-Cart with Easyload for the wedge life will be sweet indeed! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Richard James wrote:According to my calculations the 2GB SD card I bought yesterday for 16$ can store over 12000 D64 images. However some of that will be lost for directories and slack space.

I only have one question how do you get started with this thing. If I create a empty D64 in VICE and copy it into the root of the SD card called "empty01.d64" What commands on the VIC20 will I need to type to read and save to it?
I doubt you will be able to save to it; only read it. I could be wrong.

You need to change to the .d64 image as though it were a directory, so you need to issue the "CD" command.

I use a DOS wedge to issue these commands, but I'll look up the non-wedge style commands and post them if someone hasn't beaten me to it. :wink:

EDIT: Carlsson has actually mentioned this earlier in this thread:

OPEN1,10,15,"CD:IMAGE.D64":CLOSE1

Have you tried that?
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

You can write to d64 images, no problem. They will function just like regular 1541 disks.

Jim
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

brain wrote:You can write to d64 images, no problem. They will function just like regular 1541 disks.

Jim
Not something I tried nor assumed to work; but very cool, Jim. 8)
Richard James
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Richard James »

I got it working thanks.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Unseen
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Unseen »

DigitalQuirk wrote:Not something I tried nor assumed to work; but very cool, Jim. 8)
Why do you think that anyone would release an incomplete read-only implementation of something as simple as D64 access? ;-)

(read-only support developed and commited in two days over Xmas 2007, write support developed+debugged some time later and committed January 12th 2008, uIEC support committed Februrary 5th 2008)
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I actually find it pretty cool that I can save programs to the SD or CF card outside of a D64. It's just one huge directory. Easier to copy out on a PC, too.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Unseen wrote:
DigitalQuirk wrote:Not something I tried nor assumed to work; but very cool, Jim. 8)
Why do you think that anyone would release an incomplete read-only implementation of something as simple as D64 access? ;-)

(read-only support developed and commited in two days over Xmas 2007, write support developed+debugged some time later and committed January 12th 2008, uIEC support committed Februrary 5th 2008)
I had assumed this due to some issues I had encountered with copying files with file and disk copy utilities, because, as it was explained to me, a .d64 does not contain all the information of a regular floppy diskette. As such, I never attempted to save files to a .d64 image, just load files from it.

Also, I do not consider any aspect of the uIEC to be "Simple," with the exception of its ease of use. 8)
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

A d64 is just a container whereas a g64 has geometry.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I have a lovely uIEU in front of me and no memory card! I should have been better prepared! I screwed around waiting on feedback as to what kind of card I should buy, and now I am stuck until I get one.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Jeff-20 wrote:I have a lovely uIEU in front of me and no memory card!
uIEC/SD or uIEC/CF? You can get SD cards pretty much everywhere these days. Drug stores, grocery stores, heck, even my local 7/11 has them. CF cards are a little harder to find but you never know.

Slightly OT: I'm surprised that most people are buying the smaller models even if they don't intend to embed them. The full size unit seems easier to deal with and generally more flexible.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.