I just ordered a uIEC/SD

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Ok, 3581/32 ~= 110 files per folder minus the header and bottom rows.

By the way, what would be the difference between storing PRG files on their own in various folders or making M2I images, assuming the total space per folder is more that what a D64 image can hold?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Unseen
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Unseen »

carlsson wrote:By the way, what would be the difference between storing PRG files on their own in various folders or making M2I images, assuming the total space per folder is more that what a D64 image can hold?
M2I has no advantages over direct storage, especially if you use P00 files to preserve the PETSCII file name. It's the number one entry on the list of features that will be dropped if space gets tight.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

True, the SD card has some FAT format and whichever limitations in file names it implies while I suppose both D64 and M2I would rather contain PETSCII file names. Program files stored directly would be easier to manipulate on a PC, while I suppose e.g. SEQ files need to be put inside an image?
Anders Carlsson

gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Just as an FYI, you can have no more than 144 individual files on a Commodore formatted floppy, single or double sided.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Perhaps with a hand modified directory track 18 (i.e. using an additional track) and refrain from ever validating the floppy disk? :)
Anders Carlsson

Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Jeff-20 wrote:I assume I need separate folders, right? The directory would need to fit into the 3.5k of memory
Another reason why you should use JiffyDOS or EasyLoad. Directories are displayed as they are read and not stored in memory, so you can have huge directories.

In fact, my GAMES\UNEXPANDED directory has several hundred games, so to narrow it down a bit I use a wildcard (JiffyDOS, going from memory here):

@$Z* would list all programs starting with Z.
Unseen
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Unseen »

gklinger wrote:Just as an FYI, you can have no more than 144 individual files on a Commodore formatted floppy, single or double sided.
The 1581 has a limit of 296 files which can probably be exceeded if you use subpartitions to get additional directories. I assume that the higher-capacity IEEE drives also allow for more than 144 files because they have more sectors available on the directory track.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Ah, so it's not device 8 out of the box then? I got a DEVICE NOT PRESENT error. So, I'll change it to device 8 as I don't have a disk drive attached at the minute.

I remember reading a review of the device somewhere containing loads of tit-bits but I just can't remember where about.... :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:So, I'll change it to device 8 as I don't have a disk drive attached at the minute.
Mantra:

OPEN 15,10,15,"U0>"+CHR$(8):CLOSE15

To make that change permanent send "XW" to the new device number (8 in the above example). Or you could just address it as device 10.
I remember reading a review of the device somewhere containing loads of tit-bits but I just can't remember where about.... :)
You're probably thinking of the review written by Larry from Port Commodore but his website appears to be in transition and the review isn't currently available (it was here).
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
Cheers for the specifics. Yes, that was the site with the review - I just found the bookmark in Opera. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Great. it'll be nearly impossible for me to get and install JiffyDos.

So, it seems I will have some limits on the number of files I can store regardless of SD card size. Even with, let's say, 110 files per folder, I'd only be able to store 110 folders in memory when I load to my 3.5k. :( Not that 12,100 is not enough! I can switch off files from my hard drive to avoid keeping memory expansion connected.

(I like to start my VIC with a modest 3581 bytes free, thank you very much)
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Oh.. I believe the SD card can be split into multiple partitions, which would give you room for 12100 files per partition.

The ~110 folders also assume you would lay out all files in a flat structure. If you create a deeper structure, you can have as many folders as the memory card capacity will allow:

Code: Select all

GAMES
     |___ SPACE
      |___ A-C
      |___ D-K
      |___ L-S
      |___ T-Z
     |___ SPORTS
     |___ PUZZLES
      |___ A-H
      |___ J-Q
      |___ S-Z
     |___ PLATFORM
     |___ MAZE

TOOLS
|___ GRAPHICS
|___ SOUND
|___ BASIC
|___ MONITORS

DEMOS
|___ OLD
|___ PWP
|___ PU-239
|___ OTHERS
Well, you understand. On the other hand all the files you store should be executable on unexpanded VIC-20 and while there exists a lot of software, I'm unsure if you can have over 12000 unique titles.
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Duh, I totally forgot about embedding folders. I think I am growing less and less intelligent everyday. I've noticed my programs getting sloppier too. Switching the directories would be a chore, but easier than switching disks, i suppose.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Unseen
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Unseen »

carlsson wrote:Oh.. I believe the SD card can be split into multiple partitions, which would give you room for 12100 files per partition.
Although that is possible and uIEC has no problems with partitioned cards, my recommendation is to avoid partitioning SD cards. Windows (at least XP) won't let you access anything but the first partition.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

carlsson wrote:Jeff: There is a special DOS command sent to the uIEC device called CD:

OPEN1,10,15,"CD:DIRECTORY":CLOSE1
OPEN1,10,15,"CD:IMAGE.D64":CLOSE1

If you have a DOS wedge you can just type @"CD:DIRECTORY", in quotes due to not mixing it with the @C file copy command.
Yes, with EasyLoad+ you can type @"CD:DIRECTORY" or @"CD:IMAGE.D64" to change directory.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.