Help with RF-modulator needed...

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Help with RF-modulator needed...

Post by Zeela »

Hi,

I just gotten a RF-modulator for my VIC. It's a UK one and I live in Sweden. When I try it out, I can't get the sound to work, but the picture is acceptable, if not perfect.

Someone suggested that it might some difference in the PAL format used in Sweden and the one used in the UK. Could that be what's wrong with my modulator or is it just broken?

// Zee
Check out my humble collection of old 'puters an such
http://www.zeela.se
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yes. PAL exists in at least B, G, H, I, D, N and M subversions. I believe the UK uses PAL-I while Sweden uses PAL-B. The difference is on video bandwidth and sound carrier.

http://www.alkenmrs.com/video/standards.html
http://www.hamlet.co.uk/support/apps/Wo ... ndards.htm

Last time I visted Clas Ohlsson, I saw that they have a generic RF modulator which takes composite video and outputs the RF on your frequency of choice. I don't know if and how it works, but it sounds interesting?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Zeela »

Darn...

No more RF-modulators from the UK then... I just got one for my Amiga as well...

// Zee
Check out my humble collection of old 'puters an such
http://www.zeela.se
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

carlsson wrote:Last time I visted Clas Ohlsson, I saw that they have a generic RF modulator which takes composite video and outputs the RF on your frequency of choice. I don't know if and how it works, but it sounds interesting?
Is that possible? I don't understand how that is possible.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Jeff-20 wrote:
carlsson wrote:Last time I visted Clas Ohlsson, I saw that they have a generic RF modulator which takes composite video and outputs the RF on your frequency of choice. I don't know if and how it works, but it sounds interesting?
Is that possible? I don't understand how that is possible.
Going out on a limb here, but isn't an RF signal just the composite signal modulating a carrier wave (the same principle as in FM radio)? In that case, it should just be a matter of changing the frequency of the oscillator generating the carrier.[1]

Right?

[1] It's been 15 years since I took electronics classes. I slept through many of them.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Cool! I have to check that rf modulator out! And of course it's possible - most video recorders can do that...

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

From Scart to RF for 298 SEK.... Maybe a bit expensive...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Universal SCART to RF modulator : 298 SEK
Collection of nice games to play: 500 SEK
The joy of playing VIC-20 on your TV again: priceless!

(inspired by the credit card commercial)
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Boray wrote:of course it's possible - most video recorders can do that...

/Anders
ok, now that I think about it, it makes sense.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Leeeeee
soldering master

Post by Leeeeee »

[quote]Going out on a limb here, but isn't an RF signal just the composite signal modulating a carrier wave (the same principle as in FM radio)? In that case, it should just be a matter of changing the frequency of the oscillator generating the carrier.

Right?[quote]

Right. In most modulators there is a separate sound subcarrier oscillator that runs at 6MHz for the UK and 5.5MHz for most of the rest of the world. The adjustment for this is usually hidden inside the can and covered in soft wax to disuade you from adjusting it.

To adjust the UK modulators you have tune in the picture on your TV then (after opening and removing wax as needed) adjust the sound oscillator (probably clockwise and not by much) until the sound quiets. Make a note of this point. Now carry on until the sound becomes noisy as before then come back again until the sound quiets, make a note of this point. If the two points were different set the modulator to about center between the two.

One thing to note is that this should be done with AFC or AFT on the TV turned off.

Zeela the Amiga modulator, which uses an Aztec RF modulator can certainly be re-tuned. I don't recall the original Vic modulator but suspect that can easily be re-tuned as well.

Cheers,

Lee.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

carlsson wrote:Universal SCART to RF modulator : 298 SEK
Collection of nice games to play: 500 SEK
The joy of playing VIC-20 on your TV again: priceless!

(inspired by the credit card commercial)
Yes, but as you need to make a vic->scart cable anyway.... TVs that doesn't have any AV input must be as old as the vic20 by now... We don't have any color TV without an AV connection....

/Anders
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Bah. What about nostalgia, brownish white and superfluous blur?
Anders Carlsson