UNZIP in Windows XP slow.

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

UNZIP in Windows XP slow.

Post by ral-clan »

Hi! I've only been a Windows XP user since the summer. I've noticed that when extracting files from a ZIP file in windows its very slow. I mean clicking on a ZIP file to open it, then dragging the file, or root directory out to somewhere else on one's hard drive. If the ZIP file has a lot of subdirectories & files, it can take five or six minute. It works, but it's quite slow.

On my old Amiga, extracting ZIP archives through a CLI was very fast - so I was a little surprised.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Maybe it's faster to right click the zip file and select "Extract all"? That's what I usually do...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
AmiDog
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by AmiDog »

The builtin zip-extractor in Windows has to be the slowest implementation of the algorithm ever. I wouldn't be surprised if the VIC-20 could do it faster... Just install WinRAR (or similar).
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I'd go with 7-Zip - it's free so nagging messages and it's fast and versatile. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I have never experienced it as slow, but I've never used XP...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)