Cardapter - lets atari 2600 carts work with the VIC ?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

The ColecoVision was the dream system for the 1980s. Arcade game ports in your home that actually looked pretty close to the ones your friends had to plunk quarters into at the arcade.

We mustn't forget how revolutionary this was in 1983 - after years of accepting the fact (with Atari & Intellivision) that arcade ports were simpler, scaled down, blocky games with a vague similarity to their real arcade parent.

The roller controller, the driving control, the super controllers, the official licenses from Bally, Exidy, Nintendo, etc., the use of arcade art on the cartridges AND the Atari 2600 adapter! ColecoVision was the clear king of home consoles. It still excites me to think of how great this console was.

I remember seeing the first advertisements for the ColecoVision (just before it was released) in Electronic Games magazine. There was a screen-shot of Donkey Kong on the ColecoVision there. I was reluctant to believe it was a real shot of the home system - it was just too close to the arcade original! I was so used to seeing those "artist mockups" of the screenshot from Atari & Intellivision, which tended to embellish the graphics and game action slightly. The Coleco ad was revolutionary.
Last edited by ral-clan on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I'm pleased to report that this thread inspired me to hook my Colecovision up again and it has been seeing a lot more use over the last two months. We had some people over a few weekends ago for a friend's birthday and the birthday boy requested that I crank up the CV and several hours later people were still playing. I guess there's some life left in the old girl yet.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I got one in the 90s from a thrift store. Even collected most of the games. I never could get comfortable with the controllers! I sold the whole lot!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Normal Atari joystic works too. You can plug it to 2th port and use Coleco orginal at 1 port.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I used Atari Joysticks for games like Carnival, but many games require the keypad to even start!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.