Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

uIEC/SD now available (fwd)

Post by RobertBe »

---------------Forwarded Message--------------
Date: Feb 3, 11:28 pm

I held off on announcing uIEC/SD availability until I had some stock (impatient folks, you know who you are :-), but I do now have some stock (90 units).

Since uIEC shares the same firmware (kudos to Ingo Korb, who does not get enough recognition for this fine piece of code) as the recently announced SD2IEC, I'll spare everyone rehashing the similarities and just note the differences:

* uIEC/SD is currently the smallest known CBM drive (1.5" x 1.5" by 0.3"). Perfect for embedding in your favorite machine, drive, or calculator (shout out to Tone007, who stuffed one in a CBM pocket calculator)
* uIEC/SD shares the same 128kB Atmel AVR 8-bit microcontroller as the rest of the uIEC line. With 51kB used for firmware, there's plenty of room left for the future.
* uIEC/SD comes complete for use with IEC connector and power supply cassette port connector. VIC/64/C128 users can simply plug the wires in and use. (SX64/+4/C116/C16 users need to source 5V elsewhere, let me know before purchasing if you'd like an alternate connector)
* Although not yet defined for use, uIEC/SD offers an additional switch line and programmatic LED for future use.
* uIEC/SD not only supports SD and SDHC cards, but either SD or SDHC cards can also be used for updating the firmware (new feature, older firmware update software only supports SD cards)

Pictures available at: http://www.jbrain.com/vicug/gallery/uIEC/IMG_6514

As with uIEC/CF, units are $50.00/unit, with shipping (for up to 3 units) as follows:

$5.00/US
$10.00/Canada
$15.00/Intl

Email brain@jbrain.com for ordering information, or simply Paypal the address for immediate purchase.

I'd like to thank all those who have purchased uIEC units. I hope everyone finds them useful.

Jim
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I want! Can anyone throw together a quick installation FAQ? I suck with hardware.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

You'll think I'm kidding but believe me when I say that it's as simple as hooking up a disk drive. Connect the power, connect the IEC (serial) cable and plug in a memory card instead of a disk and you're cooking with gas.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Mine was shipped this very morning. Cannot wait! Between this and my forth-coming Mega-Cart I am truly sorted in the world of VIC. :)
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Jeff-20 wrote:I want! Can anyone throw together a quick installation FAQ? I suck with hardware.
Can you clarify "installation". uIEC comes ready to use, but if you want to mod it into a VIC, I'm not sure that's a FAQ item...

Complete unit: http://www.jbrain.com/vicug/gallery/uIEC/bg4

Jim
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I thought I had to set up my own power supply. I just plug it into the tape port?
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Jeff-20 wrote:I thought I had to set up my own power supply. I just plug it into the tape port?
This is how mine works. A little tricky unplugging it from the cassette deck port, however.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Can you just hard wire the one connection internally to the cassette port and still use the Datasette without any conflicts or too much draw on the power?
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Mine was shipped this very morning. Cannot wait! Between this and my forth-coming Mega-Cart I am truly sorted in the world of VIC. :)
Yes, i'm working on a small fix for EasyLoad+ included on Mega-Cart to be fully compatible with uIEC.
I think that Mega-Cart with uIEC is perfect for a very geeky Vic user 8)
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

nbla000 wrote:
Pedro Lambrini wrote:Mine was shipped this very morning. Cannot wait! Between this and my forth-coming Mega-Cart I am truly sorted in the world of VIC. :)
Yes, i'm working on a small fix for EasyLoad+ included on Mega-Cart to be fully compatible with uIEC.
That's good to know. I hope the conflict isn't too much of a hassle for you to fix. By the way, are you calling me a geek! :P
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Can you just hard wire the one connection internally to the cassette port and still use the Datasette without any conflicts or too much draw on the power?
Yep.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

brain wrote:
Pedro Lambrini wrote:Can you just hard wire the one connection internally to the cassette port and still use the Datasette without any conflicts or too much draw on the power?
Yep.
That's also good to know! :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I think "Yep" and "TOP" (in the picture) combine to make the FAQ.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:
nbla000 wrote:Yes, i'm working on a small fix for EasyLoad+ included on Mega-Cart to be fully compatible with uIEC.
That's good to know. I hope the conflict isn't too much of a hassle for you to fix. By the way, are you calling me a geek! :P
The current EasyLoad+ version is fully compatible with uIEC if you disable Turbo first, before to load a file from uIEC you just need to press F5 to disable turbo, that's all.

My next fix just allows to load files from uIEC or any other not supported drive even if Turbo is enabled by using standard kernal routines of course.

PS: Supported EasyLoad+ drives for Turbo are: 1540/1541/1541-II/1541C/1570/1571/1581 and relative clones.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Nice to know since I ordered my uIEC yesterday :-)
Can't wait for both to arrive!