Island of Secrets adventure from C64, 40 cols (VIC +24K)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I'm translating the walkthrough in English, I will post it here as soon as it's done. I will also try and correct line 1780, maybe the apple bug ( :D ) is hidden there. Thanks!
fgasking
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by fgasking »

Hi everyone - as well as owning the "Island of Secrets" book... i've got a very similiar styled one called "Fantasy Games" (By same publisher), which seems to have a RPG type in (There are UDG icons in the book for the game). The Vic 20 version requiring a 16k expansion to play according to the cover.

Is this of interest to someday type up/scan pages? (Might have to be when i'm on leave next).
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Absolutely! :D Thanks.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

formater wrote:give me a copy of the solution and I try to pass this point.

The line 1780 have a error, I think is missing a = between B$ and (2758158)
Line 1780 does not affect the vanished apple :cry: .

Walkthrough: PM sent :wink: .
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

So not 100% yet then?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Nope.

Final releases for 40 column games, one-filed and thus suitable for inclusion in GB20, are until now:

Ouranos (+16K)

and

Nuclear Power Plant (+24K)

(Again, thanks to Formater and Carlsson for single-files and FAT40 editing).

If you wish, you can add the conversion of THIS nice little weather forecast program, also from PET, but this time for +8K, regular 22 column VIC :wink: .
Last edited by orion70 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
fgasking
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by fgasking »

Looking in more detail at the Fantasy Games book, the game inside is called "Dungeon of Doom".
Has this been converted already?

The C64 version has already been typed in and fixed up... http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=11518&d=18&h=0 ... So it might be just a case of applying the Vic 20 lines and its done.

I'll try and get the book scanned this weekend if time is on my side :)
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
I Look forward to it. I remember typing this in many moons ago. It's quite a nice wee game with plenty of scope for development. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah I've got that book too somewhere here. If it can merely be adapted and tested, then sounds good. Not sure how to add it into GB20 though.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Update: Formater and I are still on the buggy 40 columns Island of Secrets. Many bugs were corrected and new features implemented; the game was played up until the end with no apparent bugs, but others were found in random events. I wrote a complete walkthrough and added numbers to the map locations (used in the solution).

Formater is also considering the opportunity to produce a new 22 column version for the 16K expanded VIC (hope he doesn't mind if I give this news).
fgasking wrote:Looking in more detail at the Fantasy Games book, the game inside is called "Dungeon of Doom".
Has this been converted already?
I'll try and get the book scanned this weekend if time is on my side :)
The game itself is very interesting, although I don't have instructions for it (please, scan the book :wink: ). Nevertheless, it is a multi-file program, so I really don't know if I can do a proper conversion, given my limited programming skills. :cry:

Here's the book cover:

Also from Usborne:

This is more feasible, as it's all BASIC in a single file. I won't start before finding the book scans, though - instructions are important here :D .
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Everything is done :D .
Now, you can find the final entry for the 40 col version HERE, and the wonderful 22 col version with multi-colour text done by Formater HERE.
The first is for VIC+24K, and still double-filed (waiting for Formater to single-file it); the second is for VIC+16K. A new "show all objects" option was implemented; in the 22 column version the exits are visible.

Both versions were play-tested up until the very end, and we found the plot very well done and fun. A complete walkthrough was also written for this adventure.

The entries (40 col and 22 col) in the General topics thread were updated too.

Have fun, and remember we're here to help young adventurers! :wink:
Last edited by orion70 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

You guys are super!
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Thanks very much! I look forward to playing this all the way through - once the error on the download page is fixed! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Thanks very much! I look forward to playing this all the way through - once the error on the download page is fixed! :)
Error? :?:
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

orion70 wrote:
Pedro Lambrini wrote:Thanks very much! I look forward to playing this all the way through - once the error on the download page is fixed! :)
Error? :?:
There was a 503 error but it's working now. :)