Vic 20's Keyboard font ??

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Dimlow
Vic 20 Newbie

Vic 20's Keyboard font ??

Post by Dimlow »

I was just comparing a dirty vic to a clean one and i noticed the keyboard on the clean one has a rather square font on it. Is there any significance to this? Its an old vic with the 2 prong power connector.

Here is a pic http://eab.abime.net/picture.php?albumi ... tureid=722

Oh yea, and hi, my first post here, i spend most of my time over at the English Amiga board, worth a look if you into Amiga's
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah it's the old PET style keyboard font, it was present on most early Vic20 manufactures.

Oh and welcome to Denial btw ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

There are actually three VIC-20 keyboard fonts (if you only count the English keyboard VIC-20s).

1. Original PET style letters (with flat keytops): Microgramma Extended
2. Intermediate looking slightly more rounded letters, with thinner lines, but still slightly PET looking.
3. Lastly, the same type of tall, thin, Helvetica type font used on the first C64s too.

I think I have an idea for a new Denial Wiki article! :lol:
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Re: Vic 20's Keyboard font ??

Post by gklinger »

Dimlow wrote:Oh yea, and hi, my first post here, i spend most of my time over at the English Amiga board, worth a look if you into Amiga's
Hey, Dimlow. Nice to see you here.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Dimlow
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Dimlow »

OH so its not that special after all then.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Dimlow wrote:OH so its not that special after all then.
Well, it's special in so-far as it's an early model VIC. I count that as special...just not that rare. :)

Personally, I really like the original font. It's nice and clear and evokes the age of the machine. Can't beat nostalgia.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:
Dimlow wrote:OH so its not that special after all then.
Well, it's special in so-far as it's an early model VIC. I count that as special...just not that rare. :)

Personally, I really like the original font. It's nice and clear and evokes the age of the machine. Can't beat nostalgia.
I always felt the original font looked more "Futuristic." Even when I look at it today, it looks as though it's from some distant future generation of computers.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
Yeah, I kind of agree. To me, it's got a retro-futurism that I really enjoy. A bit like reading 1950's sci-fi novels where they have things like boxes that can heat food in less than a minute or telephonic devices that you can carry in your pocket- ooooh! :)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Dimlow
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Dimlow »

Nice Wiki, but i disagree with this.
"The VIC-20 keyboard is electronically and physically compatible with that used in the Commodore 16 and Commodore 64 model computers. "

VIC 20 and C64 keyboard are not interchangeable, i have tried it. Some keys work , others don't. when i looked at the C64 and they Vic Schematics, its quite clear that the matrix is connected to the VIA's in a different order.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Dimlow wrote:VIC 20 and C64 keyboard are not interchangeable, i have tried it. Some keys work , others don't. when i looked at the C64 and they Vic Schematics, its quite clear that the matrix is connected to the VIA's in a different order.
Say what???

The ONLY difference between the later generations of VIC's keyboard and the 64's is the color of the function keys.

The matrix is identical. Interchanging keyboards between the VIC and the 64 has been done thousands of time and they do share the same matrix.

Over the years, I have seen dozens of 64s with a VIC's keyboard and the opposite as well...
Be normal.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

The HELP key on the C16 doesn't work when it's attached to a VIC.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

My understanding was that the VIC-20 and 64 keyboards are identical (save appearance) and I confirmed it with Jim Brain who knows a thing or two about Commodore keyboards.

Jeff: The keyboard matrix for the +4/C16 is different.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Jeff-20 wrote:The HELP key on the C16 doesn't work when it's attached to a VIC.
Ah...I didn't know that the C16 had a HELP key. I will update the article.

As I said in the WIKI announcement thread, anyone who would like to add technical info about they keyboards to the article, please do. That's my weakness.
Last edited by ral-clan on Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dimlow
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Dimlow »

[quote="eslapion
The ONLY difference between the later generations of VIC's keyboard and the 64's is the color of the function keys.
quote]

I noticed that you say later generations, that may be true, but i have a C64 (Rev A Board i believe) here with two missing keys. and a perfectly working vic 20 ( no so early ). I swapped the Keyboard, and it does not work on the 64. I checked the schematics and they were not the same. I concluded that i would need to swap about 8 lines on the connector for it to work. I don't have the time to check right now but i will recheck later tonight for you all.

Oh and Hello gkilger, Now i know who you are, From EAB! Yes nice to see you here.

Just checked the schematics. i am right!

VIC 20

http://eab.abime.net/picture.php?albumi ... tureid=729
C64
http://eab.abime.net/picture.php?albumi ... tureid=728

The Col and ROW lines are swapped