DIY Gamepad paddle combo

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

ohm
Vic 20 Drifter

DIY Gamepad paddle combo

Post by ohm »

I have been searching and I cannot seem to find anything like a gamepad for a vic, or atari 2600, so I figured I would make one and I also figured I might as well add the paddle functionality as well. I did a google search and found the schematic for a 2600 joystick and paddle and am going to make one. There well be four mini push buttons on the left arranged in a d'pad configuration a large knob in the center for the paddle and a larger push button on the right for fire and the left and right d'pad buttons well serve double duty as shoot and speed buttons for the paddle.

One question though would be if I have only one paddle pot would I need a switch to switch from left to right in multiplayer games or does the vic games just use one of the two paddles and you pass it back and forth?

I well post photos as I get it built.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The VIC has two paddle registers, POTX and POTY. If I recall correctly, the Commodore paddles have different sensitivity than e.g. Atari 2600 ones so your pad may not work out of the box on both systems.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Richard James
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Richard James »

It would be nice if someone could either make converters between these different controllers or make new controllers.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Take a look at Nicola's special joystick in the www.mega-cart.com gallery. It is commercially made, but has two pots for paddles built in. Might give you some ideas.
ohm
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by ohm »

I found a schematic for the commodore paddles, what carlsson said makes sense as the atari paddles use a 1M ohm pot and the commodore paddles use 500k pots.
ohm
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by ohm »

I got it all assembled and tested, except for the paddle as I don't have any games that use it yet. Here's a photo if it next to my 16k expansion cart for size reference.
I think my problem with my joystick not working after a few minutes of playing was the joystick itself. I was able to play for 20 minutes or so with the game pad and playing moon patrol I was able to jump whereas with the joystick it would not. So I think I well be taking the joystick apart next to see if it is repairable.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

The problem I have with a lot of original joysticks is that the brass "sleeves" inside the holes of the female connector become enlarged with years of use and don't contact the pins of the VIC's male DB9. I'm not sure how to solve this other than to replace the joystick's connector with a new one. A stopgap option is to squeeze the joysticks connector with pliers in the hope of compressing the little sleeves somewhat.

Okay, I know this message is going to inspire some lewd jokes!
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Nice potential. :)

I've been thinking for a while that someone (not me, I'm rubbish!) should design a 'next gen' joystick / pad for older DB9 machines. I mean, there seems to be a market for lots of weird and wonderful hardware and adapters so I don't see why a new controller wouldn't sell...

I know there is the reissue Comp Pro and there's the Atari 2600 joystick remake but they contain no real developments that could be put to use in today's world. :)
ohm
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by ohm »

Now I just need to figure out how to make a nice label for it.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

ohm wrote:I got it all assembled and tested, except for the paddle as I don't have any games that use it yet.
Try Pong by me and Nippur72 or get a Mega-Cart, it has a lot of paddles games.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
ohm
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by ohm »

My 1541 drive just showed up in the mail today so I well have to start trying things out.