My awesome new modded VIC-20

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Doing a search on the internet for the uIEC, I got lots of photos and reviews, but couldn't find a price or a place to buy one. Does anyone know of a link?
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

ral-clan wrote:Doing a search on the internet for the uIEC, I got lots of photos and reviews, but couldn't find a price or a place to buy one. Does anyone know of a link?
Read post from "brain" earlier in this thread, it has his conact info in msg.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Schema wrote:
Jeff-20 wrote:Schema,
You may have explained this before, but how did you get the keyboard to look so "VIC" and not C16 or 64C?
I'm not sure what you mean? I just moved the keyboard from a 64C into the VIC, no painting or anything.
I often see the 64C with this keyboard.

I'm not entirely familiar with the 64. Even with the VIC style keyboard, houldn't it have 16 colors on the number keys? Two colors under each number.

I just did a google search. I guess I was wrong. I vaguely remember seeing two colors under each key. Maybe that was a variation? As a bonus, I just discovered the existence of the C64 "Aldi"... freaky.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Yeah, there are two variations of the 64C keyboard, I just used the one that was more VIC-like. And we 64 users just memorized the keys for the extra colors (or used trial and error :wink:)
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I discovered (much to my chagrin) that 64C keyboards with the PETSCII graphics on top are different from the ones with the PETSCII graphics on the front. I couldn't get the cable attached to one with the graphics on top to reach to my Keyrah. Very frustrating.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Jeff-20 wrote:i just had a vision for a VIC mod! A top loading cart slot ... The label would have to face forward.
Your wish is my command!

:wink:
Last edited by eslapion on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be normal.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Ha! That's brilliant. You're a mad scientist, eslapion.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ha ha! You are amazing! I love the freaky keys too. You cut the slot a little wide didn't you? Is it functional or just a mock up?

We need to add a VIC mod gallery to inspire more of these. I'd love a gallery of interesting variations!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

A top loading VIC makes so much more sense than a rear loading one (except for when you need to add a slot expander).

Monitor stands, etc. aways block the rear cartridge port and required you to pull out your VIC and stretch all the cables.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Jeff-20 wrote:...You cut the slot a little wide didn't you? Is it functional or just a mock up?
I cut out the venting slots so I didn't have much of a choice with the width.

It is fully functional but I need to properly position the control switches. I'll give you more pictures when they are in place.
Be normal.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Had you considered soldering on a second cartridge port so one faces up and one faces out the back with a toggle switch to choose the port? Sort of like a 2+1 expander but only 1+1 and internal. Stick a BB in the top and an UE in the back and you're good to go. That would be freaky cool.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Perhaps you know, but most (all?) MSX computers have dual cartridge slots: one top-loading, one rear-loading. As far as I know, those machines can use both at the same time, or at least have two cartridges inserted. Some of my game cartridges only work in one of the two slots, while the others work in either of them.

An alternative position for the cartridge is along the side. On the VIC we already have power cable and joystick on the side, but if one is willing to do some heavy remodelling I suppose those could be moved elsewhere. How about one or two joystick connectors in the front, the power cable and button on the back? I know other computers which look like that, e.g. the vTech Laser 2001 that I'm happy to own one of.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
dano
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by dano »

eslapion wrote:
Jeff-20 wrote:i just had a vision for a VIC mod! A top loading cart slot ... The label would have to face forward.
Your wish is my command!

:wink:
What are those brown colored function keys origionally from? I have a Vic with a bad keyboard, I'be been keeping my eyes open for other computers to use as doners and the brown color really looks sharp.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

dano wrote:What are those brown colored function keys origionally from? I have a Vic with a bad keyboard, I'be been keeping my eyes open for other computers to use as doners and the brown color really looks sharp.
This VIC's original keyboard was destoyed. It was initially replaced with a standard C64 keyboard and later C16 keyboard keys were substituted.

So the function keys really come for a C64 breadbin's keyboard.
Be normal.
dano
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by dano »

Nice, I just picked up a Vic off of my local Craigslist and it has two keys broken off. I initally got it just as a part machine, but then after reading this thread I thought I might find a new keyboard for it. I thought the C64 keyboard looked about right but I've never owned one, now I know what to look for :)