cart information

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

brain
Vic 20 Nerd

cart information

Post by brain »

Is there a discussion thread or reference that discusses the various legal configurations for game and utility/RAM carts?

I tried wading through the BehrBonz and MegaCart threads, but so much information is suppressed, I can't begin to get technical details.

Jim
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: cart information

Post by eslapion »

brain wrote:Is there a discussion thread or reference that discusses the various legal configurations for game and utility/RAM carts?

I tried wading through the BehrBonz and MegaCart threads, but so much information is suppressed, I can't begin to get technical details.

Jim
Would you care to elaborate on the term "legal" ?

The Behr Bonz schematic is based on the fact that no cartridge that is documented uses both BLK2 and BLK5 at the same time.

The same applies to BLK1 and BLK3.

Now, I am talking ROM only, of course... a 24k RAM cart WILL use BLK1 and 3 at the same time and a 32k RAM cart will use all 4 at the same time.

Also, personally, I don't know of any utility cart that will put ROM in BLK1 or 2 and that's why the Ultimate Expander offers ROM options in BLK3 and 5 only.
Be normal.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Some utility cartridges are only 4K though, and designed in such way that with a cartridge expander you should be able to plug in both within the same 8K block.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Maybe he is talking about the fact that you are selling hundreds of copyrighted games without any legal rights to do that.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

At this time, I was using "legal" in the "legal opcodes" sense. In other words, what configurations are valid or used by games. Is there any reason to turn on RAM1 but not RAM2 at the same time, for instance?

I was looking for the matrix:

Code: Select all

none
std cart:  BLK5ROM
8k ram:  BLK1RAM
16k:       BLK1RAM,BLK2RAM
24K...
27k....
weirdcart:  blk2ROM,BLK5ROM,RAM1
etc.
stuff like that. I'm curious about the internals of the various carts being created here.

Jim
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Well, eslapion quite well described the actual situation:

BLK1 + BLK2: no known examples
BLK1 + BLK3: no known examples
BLK1 + BLK5: Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, Dancing Bear + some more?
BLK2 + BLK3: Scott Adams' adventure series
BLK2 + BLK5: no known exemples
BLK3 + BLK5: All other 16K cartridges

There may be some 4K or 8K cartridges which map individually into BLK1, 2 or 3 but I don't think in combination with another block.

RAM expansions is another matter. The typical ones are BLK1, BLK1 + BLK2 or BLK1 + BLK2 + BLK3.
Anders Carlsson

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

carlsson wrote:BLK1 + BLK5: Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, Dancing Bear + some more?
I have the following down as attaching something to BLK1 in GB20: Cannonball Blitz, Centipede, Dancing Bear, Dig Dug, Donkey Kong and Lunar Leeper.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

carlsson wrote:Well, eslapion quite well described the actual situation:

BLK1 + BLK2: no known examples
BLK1 + BLK3: no known examples
BLK1 + BLK5: Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, Dancing Bear + some more?
BLK2 + BLK3: Scott Adams' adventure series
BLK2 + BLK5: no known exemples
BLK3 + BLK5: All other 16K cartridges

There may be some 4K or 8K cartridges which map individually into BLK1, 2 or 3 but I don't think in combination with another block.

RAM expansions is another matter. The typical ones are BLK1, BLK1 + BLK2 or BLK1 + BLK2 + BLK3.
Add to that that all known 4k or 8k games carts go into BLK 5, some utility carts use all or half of BLK5 (Super Expander and Basic V4 is $A000-$AFFF, there is a version of VICMON which is $B000-$BFFF, HESMON uses all of BLK5) and there are a couple of utility carts which use only one half of BLK3, (Programmer's Aid and one version of the Rabbit tape accelerator reside in $7000-$7FFF and the original VICMON is located at $6000-$6FFF).

Utility carts don't tend to use BLK1 or 2 to avoid conflicting with RAM expansion, I suppose.
Be normal.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

On Zimmers there is at least one version of VICMON relocated to $4000 but it could be a hacked version.
Anders Carlsson

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

From the VIC-20 Cartridge Rarity & Gameplay listing (1998):
carlsson wrote:BLK1 + BLK2: no known examples
Daedalus, Baldor's Castle, 12k(*) BLK1+BLK2 (SYS20182)

From Cartzilla:
The location of the game was also unusual for a cartridge, though not unusual for a game written in Basic. The author apparently just copied the image from his 16k RAM expander's memory area to that same memory area on an (EP)ROM cartridge format. Only this game and the Scott Adams games require a SYS number to start and both because they sit in the area normally used by Basic programs.
carlsson wrote:BLK1 + BLK5: Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, Dancing Bear + some more?
Atarisoft, Centipede, 16k BLK1+BLK5
Sierra, Lunar Leeper, 12k(*) BLK1+BLK5
Sierra, Cannonball Blitz, 12k(*) BLK1+BLK5

(*) shouldn't they be 16K?

:wink:
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

orion70 wrote: Sierra, Lunar Leeper, 12k(*) BLK1+BLK5
Sierra, Cannonball Blitz, 12k(*) BLK1+BLK5

(*) shouldn't they be 16K?
They only use 12K of 16K for code.
On MegaCart, the "extra 4k" is used for additional games/utilities within 16K space.
Last edited by 6502dude on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

You obviously missed my post above Orion ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Yep, I should learn to keep reading the whole thread and not only the first posts. :?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

orion70 wrote:Daedalus, Baldor's Castle
That one was unknown to me. Is it confirmed to have been a commercial cartridge or just something homemade?

It also makes me wonder when you boot a VIC-20 with a 8K ROM cartridge in block 1, does the VIC automatically rearrange the screen matrix to $1000 but remain at 3583 bytes free since the contents of block 1 isn't writable RAM?
Anders Carlsson

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

carlsson wrote:Is it confirmed to have been a commercial cartridge or just something homemade?
I don't know. It is indicated as "extremely rare" in Ward Shrake's VIC-20 Cartridge Rarity & Gameplay listing.
I tried a google search, but no luck: the only info available is Daedalus, 1983, by Martin Kennedy. No images of the cartridge and/or its box.