VIC-20 software... on vinyl???

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

orion70
VICtalian

VIC-20 software... on vinyl???

Post by orion70 »

See what I found in a site with several ads and articles from old Italian computer magazines:

(Note: from the symbol at the right bottom of the pic, looks like it was an Ebay auction)

Rough translation of caption:
Vinyl (scan only). Two Games Flexy [???] for Vic-20, Zx Spectrum Sinclair, Texas TI 99/4A, Sharp 700.
First disc: Discolist "Epidemic", the first 33 rpm record full of programs for your ZX Spectrum - Sharp 700.
Second disc: Discolist "Egscape [sic] - The egg escape". 33 rpm record (first part for Vic-20, second part for Texas TI 99/4A; third part for ZX Spectrum)
One had to record the sounds from vinyl to cassette of course, so I can't see the point to sell a vinyl, or enclose it in a magazine. :roll:

This is a real must-collect, though. :shock:

[to mods: please, move it to Collecting and History]
nippur72
de Lagash

Re: VIC-20 software... on vinyl???

Post by nippur72 »

orion70 wrote:One had to record the sounds from vinyl to cassette of course, so I can't see the point to sell a vinyl, or enclose it in a magazine.
I remember I once had one of such magazines (can't remember the name) and the "vinyl" support was actually a very thin rubber-like disk that could be used only a limited number of times.

The rubber-like property might justify the inclusion in a magazinen because you can put it between the pages and don't worry if the magazine bends during transportation. I guess it was an attempt to reduce costs.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

This possibly explains the "Games Flexy" denomination.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

It appears the UK magazine Your Computer distributed software on 33 rpm flexi discs for a while. Actually I was bidding on one of those earlier this year, and drove it up to £10 or so before I quit. It was only me and one more bidder. While looking around on eBay, I saw several other similar records, both Your Computer and other variations so they may not be quite as hard to find as you expect. Of course if you look for a particular one it may be harder.

When it comes to ZX Spectrum and other home computers using a regular tape recorder, it would actually be possible to connect the turntable directly to the computer and play back the record. For us Commodore, Atari and some other brand owners, we would need to save the sound to tape before loading it which was a bit more cumbersome.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Based on the bad-luck I've had just getting a regular cassette-to-cassette dub of a VIC-20 game to work (due to speed and head alignment problems), I imagine that dubbing from record to tape would not have a high rate of success.
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

ral-clan wrote:Based on the bad-luck I've had just getting a regular cassette-to-cassette dub of a VIC-20 game to work (due to speed and head alignment problems), I imagine that dubbing from record to tape would not have a high rate of success.
The quality and type of tape may also be important.
I also think stereo cassette decks are bad for duplication.
I remember we had a high success rate copying c64 tapes after trying different types of cassette decks and tape brands.
vic20tapes.org - preservation of vic20 tapes.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

I got almost all software for my VIC in the old days by copying from tape to tape. I remember it taking a while to find levels on the two cassette decks that worked, but once found, we'd mark the right levels on the decks so we didn't have to fiddle around with them the next time.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

Interesting that these things really exist. I have dreamed about this.. It would be nice to get the best software on a 12'' with beautiful cover art. So useless, but wonderful. Imagine a Robotic Liberation vinyl on your shelf.. The soundtrack included on side B. (Too bad it's a disk demo)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Random access LP! :lol:

Anyway, most demos load sequentially so it is rather a matter of distribution media that make them disk based. If the transfer speed is great enough, I think turbo tape or a vinyl record would work too. As for fidelity, I think a 33 rpm or even better 45 rpm record would be even more reliable than a compact cassette when using high transfer speeds?

How about an IDE/ATAPI interface with drivers to let you load digital data directly from a CD-ROM? I know Codemasters (?) experimented with such stuff late on the C64 but I think they distributed the games as audio tracks and had to be replayed through a tape interface. Modern time IDE interfaces seem to focus on hard disks though.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
CrAlt
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by CrAlt »

Ive seen LP programs before. I think one came with a mag called "Hot CoCo". Was a paper thin record you tour out of the mag.
kelp7
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by kelp7 »

Iltanen wrote:Interesting that these things really exist. I have dreamed about this..
Then you'd find that this is awesome:

http://www.discogs.com/release/7941

'cept of course it's c64, not vic...

but it was excellent tho...
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

kelp7 wrote:
Iltanen wrote:Interesting that these things really exist. I have dreamed about this..
Then you'd find that this is awesome:

http://www.discogs.com/release/7941

'cept of course it's c64, not vic...

but it was excellent tho...
Whats that.. I did look link, but still dont know :)
kelp7
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by kelp7 »

Mikam73 wrote:Whats that.. I did look link, but still dont know :)
It's lots of things :) It's basically an album by an artist called 8-Bit Construction Set. It's based around Commodore and Atari. One side of the record dedicated to Commodore. The other side dedicated to Atari. It's a collection of music written on these machines, and loops written on them too (just loop round and round in what's called a lock-groove, for DJs to play around with really) and it's also a couple of data tracks that you can stick on cassette and load into the appropriate machine.