Reading color memory

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

adric22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Reading color memory

Post by adric22 »

Why do I get random numbers when trying to read back color memory?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

You do? Maybe because it's just nibbles, 4 bit memory.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
adric22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by adric22 »

Boray wrote:You do? Maybe because it's just nibbles, 4 bit memory.
Ah.. I think that is the answer. I tried reading it while AND'ing it with $0F and it works reliably.

I'm trying to build a little program for drawing PETSCII art on the VIC-20 and C64 and I was hoping not to have to store the color memory elsewhere, especially on the VIC since I want it to run on an unexpanded machine.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Color memory doesn't use the whole 8 bits of the location. I think only 4 bits. The higher four bits is used for something else. So you have to read it with something like PEEK(location)AND7.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
adric22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by adric22 »

Jeff-20 wrote:Color memory doesn't use the whole 8 bits of the location. I think only 4 bits. The higher four bits is used for something else. So you have to read it with something like PEEK(location)AND7.
Now wait a minute.. something just occurred to me. If it is only 4-bit color memory, is it not possible to display a different background color for each cell like on the C64?
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Nope. I don't own a 64, but the answer is surely no.

I think the top 4 bits are either random garbage or somehow connected to the clock because it is not consistent. I'm not sure. I'll have to look it up.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Jeff-20 wrote:Color memory doesn't use the whole 8 bits of the location. I think only 4 bits. The higher four bits is used for something else. So you have to read it with something like PEEK(location)AND7.
PEEK(location)AND15 will also preserve bit 3 (value: 8), which indicates multi-colour enable. The upper 4 bits are bus noise, picking up everything that had been there in the previous cycle (i.e. essentially random).
adric22 wrote:Now wait a minute... something just occurred to me. If it is only 4-bit color memory, is it not possible to display a different background color for each cell like on the C64?
The colour-memory for text display on the C64 is also only 4 bits wide.

However, when displaying hi-res, the text screen will supply attribute data, giving 2x4 bits for back-, and foreground for a 8x8 pixel cell.

Michael
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

.. and the VIC-20 doesn't have a such bitmapped graphics mode so no, your idea to use a different combination of foreground and background at each character won't work, at least not in any easy way.

The reason why the memory is only four bits wide is because it a total of 512 bytes covering an area of 1K (37888-38911). When you change the location of the screen, the location of colour memory alternates between 37888 and 38400. If you define a larger screen area you may use bigger portion of the colour memory. I'm not sure why the VIC-20 was designed in this way, but the "hidden" half of the colour memory often can be useful to store extra data about the screen: hidden colours in puzzles etc. I've used it quite a lot for that purpose.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
channelmaniac
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by channelmaniac »

It's using a single 2114 SRAM IC for color memory.

That IC is 1k x 4 bits in size. It takes 2 of them to get 1k x 8 bits - and the VIC-20 only has 1.

RJ
Call me a cheap bastard... I learned to fix things to save money... even surface mount soldering...

Visit my website: http://www.arcadecomponents.com
adric22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by adric22 »

channelmaniac wrote:It's using a single 2114 SRAM IC for color memory.
Out of curiosity, would there be any benefit to adding an additional one in there?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

In an attempt to make the colour memory $9400-$97FF eight bits wide? No colour attribute is more than four bits anyway. The only benefit I can see is to get another place to store code or additional data, but it would be non-standard. Actually I think someone (Marko Mäkelä?) has written a program only using four lower bits op-codes, somehow clearing or setting the upper bits from bus data. It is rather a proof of concept, but quite interesting.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image