PAL JiffyDos

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

sirmorris
Vic 20 Newbie

PAL JiffyDos

Post by sirmorris »

Does this exist?

I've just resurrected a lovely VC20 and it's missing something..!

Thanks
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Yes, it does. I was lucky enough to get mine as long as Maurice was responding to orders...
sirmorris
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by sirmorris »

It's Bizarre that someone should lose interest in making money :cry:
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

I think he was just overwhelmed by the requests and finally "closed his doors". Sadly he doesn't took the opportunity to make some collaborations or even sell his rights to other people :-(
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Even more of a shame is that he took money from people and never shipped the items and accepted other items for repair and never repaired them or sent them back. His conduct has been shabby to say the least.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
sirmorris
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by sirmorris »

That's the picture I have, unfortunately.

Are there any posts that illustrate the etiquette for this site? Being a newbie I don't want to ruffle any feathers by doing anything like, oh asking if anyone has an image that I could burn..!

(PM me if you do, ahem)
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Sometimes, you never know what you'll say that'll ruffle someone's feathers here. That said, I know eslapion was selling copies of JiffyDOS; you could ask him if he's around. He's more reliable than Maurice; just mind the feathers. :wink:
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

DigitalQuirk wrote:Sometimes, you never know what you'll say that'll ruffle someone's feathers here. That said, I know eslapion was selling copies of JiffyDOS; you could ask him if he's around. He's more reliable than Maurice; just mind the feathers. :wink:
I just returned Maurice's favor for letting me believe that I would get a shipment of his original items... waiting since june 2006...

As for feathers... I am quite sure you've made a few friends yourself... I do remember one in particular referring to you as a (french shower sack)... :wink:
Be normal.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

It could be that Maurice enjoys and makes more money on his other interests (old cars, was it?) than on serving the C= users.

Anyway as I stated before, it surprises me greatly that nobody in the Commodore community has developed their own disk speeder and utility software. JiffyDOS has been around for what, 20 years of which CMD has been the only distributor for the last 10 or so. Even modern C64 hardware like 1541 Ultimate and MMC Replay rely on being JiffyDOS compatible. I would rather have thought software developers behind these products would make their own routines.

Many of the demo groups have their own speeders, and some people have experimented outside of that but still in the year of 2008, people keep asking for a product (JiffyDOS) that:

(1) still is copyrighted
(2) the only distributor gave up
(3) => piracy is the only answer
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I'm fairly certain that Maurice got into this without fully understanding how to properly run a business. Many people make this mistake, and contribute to the relatively high failure rate. His books, if they exist, are probably a mess and likely haven't been updated since the day he started.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

carlsson wrote:It could be that Maurice enjoys and makes more money on his other interests (old cars, was it?) than on serving the C= users.
He makes a living operating an automotive repair business. Click Here Software was an extension of his hobby.
Anyway as I stated before, it surprises me greatly that nobody in the Commodore community has developed their own disk speeder and utility software.
There are dozens of fast load programs out there. :?:
Even modern C64 hardware like 1541 Ultimate and MMC Replay rely on being JiffyDOS compatible.
To clarify, the 1541 Ultimate does not rely upon JiffyDOS and the MMC Replay is incapable of using JiffyDOS.
I would rather have thought software developers behind these products would make their own routines.
Why reinvent the wheel?
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Well, in other parts of the software community, wheels are reinvented all the time when the old ones suffer from an issue, may it be licensing, availability, ceased development and so on. As you write there are several disk turbos, both completely software driven and some parallel ones. Yet I'm unaware of any made in such form you can burn your own EPROMs to replace the CBM ROMs, getting a permanent speeder other than JiffyDOS, possibly also Dolphin & Professional DOS from the late 1980's.

Sorry for making a false claim about the MMC Replay, but while the 1541 Ultimate doesn't "rely" on JiffyDOS, I have a vague memory of reading it is compatible. It is understandable as it tries to emulate a real 1541 to the lowest possible level.
Anders Carlsson

Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

For the 1541 Ultimate: You can upgrade the floppy ROM file with a JiffyDOS one like you would change ROMs in real floppy et voilà : JiffyDOS compatible!

And as carlsson said: The nice thing about JiffyDOS is that it is in ROM and therefore always available, no need to pre-load some speeder routines etc. DOS wedge commands included...
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

carlsson wrote:... Anyway as I stated before, it surprises me greatly that nobody in the Commodore community has developed their own disk speeder and utility software.
If you ask me, Nicola's Easyload+ is totally free and its just plain great.

Its not as versatile as JiffyDOS but its a lot easier to get it and a lot easier to install.
Be normal.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Sure. Honestly, at least three or four people should be credited for EasyLoad: Pasi Ojala who wrote the actual speed loader, me who converted the routines to work standalone, Nicola who developed a user interface around it. I think even part of the 1581 code once was written by Marko Mäkelä.

On the C64, the utility cartridges have their own speed loaders. I never felt the need of JiffyDOS or any other parallel based speeder as I find the turbo in Action Replay 6 fast enough.

Perhaps it is mostly a matter of "I want" rather than "I need" that makes people stand in line to get access to JiffyDOS?
Anders Carlsson