VIC-1005, the three slot port expander. Problems!

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Boray
Musical Smurf

VIC-1005, the three slot port expander. Problems!

Post by Boray »

Just bought my second non working VIC-1005. It seems to work better with the old 9v Vic-20 than with the CR, but still it isn't working 100% (more like 50%). Isn't it supposed to work just like my VIC-1020, but just with 3 ports? What would be the symptoms if it's one (or two) of the logic circuits that is failing? There are two 74LS244 on board.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Is there an easy way of testing those 74LS244s?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Wonder-Boy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wonder-Boy »

Piggy-backing a working one on top?
Our holy mission is doomed to succeed
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Have we talked about the VIC-1005 before? Is it an official Commodore prodcut? We've never heard about it here in North America. Any pictures?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

It says "Datatronic AB" on the board. Datatronic / Handic was the Swedish Commodore reseller and manufacturer of peripherals.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Thanks for posting this. I now recall that someone posted an advert scan for this product last year sometime and we discussed it then. Thanks for the better quality photos, though. So I guess it's not really an "official" Commodore product.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Official but local perhaps. Datatronic/Handic seem to have been one of few distributors allowed to add their own products within the VIC-XXXX numbering system.

I own a fully working VIC-1005. Based on the number of catalogues it was featured in, it was one of the most common expanders over here. Much more so than any CardCo and so on.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image