FA: VIC-1001 on ebay. Complete in box

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

mostlyharmless
Vic 20 Newbie

FA: VIC-1001 on ebay. Complete in box

Post by mostlyharmless »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0278025700

In very nice condition. Box has some wear but otherwise like new.

Have to sell it because of some unexpected expenses. :(
The BIN is just a chance.

If you need more pictures, just use the contactform on ebay or send me a PM here.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Wow, ridiculous bids for a unit that is not even tested as working ok!
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Zeela »

They're not bidding on it to use it.

It's a collectors item...
Check out my humble collection of old 'puters an such
http://www.zeela.se
mostlyharmless
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by mostlyharmless »

I've just tried to test it as far as i can.

The image is there, but I can't get hold of it om my pal TV.

I'll try to get a NTSC TV this week.

Just realised that the new TV at work should be able to recieve NTSC signals. I'll give it a try.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Or as I wrote in the other forum, if you had a PAL RF modulator or a composite video cable, you'd have better luck at getting a picture.

While I don't have a VIC-1001, for Mostly's sake I tried my NTSC VIC-20 which should be somewhat similar when it comes to function. Using a NTSC RF modulator at best gave a shadow image with a lot of snow. With a PAL RF modulator, I got a clear image and sometimes in colour. Ditto for a composite video cable. The two latter of course requires him to own either to test.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

:shock: I got it! :shock:
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

What's your plan for it? :)
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Schema wrote::shock: I got it! :shock:
650 US$ :shock: you are a true collector....

Do you have received it ? does it work ?
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

gklinger wrote:What's your plan for it? :)
I must admit, I don't have one really! It's just something cool that I've always wanted to have. I'll probably tinker around with it for a few evenings here and there, and then keep it around to show off at expos or TPUG meetings.

nbla000 wrote:650 US$ :shock: you are a true collector....
Do you have received it ? does it work ?
Heh, you have no idea. A couple of years ago I traveled to Japan, and spent two whole days scouring the retro shops in Tokyo and Osaka trying to find one. I did find a Commodore MAX though, which I later resold at a significant markup. So I suppose I can justify this purchase that way. And I've certainly seen VIC-1001s go for a lot more.

I'll have it in a couple of weeks.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Got it today! It's very cool. I haven't powered it up yet though.

The manual is very intriguing, I don't read any Japanese but it's clearly very detailed; much more so than the standard VIC-20 manual.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Schema wrote:The manual is very intriguing, I don't read any Japanese but it's clearly very detailed; much more so than the standard VIC-20 manual.
Of course, saying this will obligate you to scan the whole thing for the rest of us. :lol:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Better: OCR and translate it; then, create a pdf with Japanese text on left page, and English on the right... :P
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

It is said the VIC-20 manual in English was based from the VIC-1001 manual. Does it mean the translator or editor omitted large portions of text to save space?

Will the Japanese writing systems generally be more compact than e.g. English so you can fit more information in less space? I guess that may be the case about Chinese but on the other hand perhaps the characters become unreadable if you print them in a too small size. Text written in a Latin alphabet usually can be made readable down to 6-7 pts with a magnifying glass, or at least 8 pts with regular eyesight. Not that I expect to see an instruction manual printed with miniature text.
Anders Carlsson

Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

It seems to have no similarity with the North American version at all. It's more like a cross between the User's Guide and the Programmer's Reference guide. Photos of the motherboard and chips are in there, plus an extensive section of demo programs, etc etc.

I do intend to scan it (but it's over a hundred pages!), assuming that can be done without breaking the book's spine.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

For that matter, I believe the US VIC manual is more detailed than the Swedish one. At least the US PRG is lightyears more advanced than the Swedish edition, which pretty much is a list of BASIC commands, some words on the VIC chip and that's it. Ok, perhaps a slight exaggeration but comparing those two books makes me sad to see how much interesting and important material was left out when the book was translated.

In the case of the C64 PRG, the Swedish edition is much more advanced and quite follows the US edition but divided into three volumes. Perhaps the publishing company didn't anticipate that Swedish VIC-20 owners would be willing to pay for a thick, detailed book so they reduced it to a subset.
Anders Carlsson