Vic-20 game DUNJON II remake for Blackberry 957

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Athlor
Vic 20 Drifter

Vic-20 game DUNJON II remake for Blackberry 957

Post by Athlor »

Recently I did a remake of a Vic-20 game by Ghislain De Blois. The original was in basic but this version is in C. It was a fairly easy remake because it didn't really utilize any graphics. But since it was originally a Vic20 game I thought it noteworthy to post it here.
Image Image
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

ported to what system?
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

When I first made 'Dunjon' 5 years ago and posted it on usenet:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys ... d36a8c2a84

It took me maybe a few hours of programming. The more 'refined' version, 'Dunjon II' was put out for the Minigame competition after someone in the thread mentioned it.

I never really expected it to become a mini classic, I just wanted to make a simple hack and slash dungeon crawling game. It has all of the cliches of D&D: creating a character, going out in the dungeon, exploring, killing monsters, casting spells, finding treasure and then eventually getting killed off.

Some complained that it was too hard, but this was done deliberately by design. My memories of playing D&D constantly involved rolling and re-rolling characters (during the same playing session) with a DM who was a stickler for the traditional rules (you reach 0 hit points--you're dead no matter what).

Eventually, the engine of Dunjon II was used in Realms of Quest II (well, at least the dungeon crawling part). While the latter is obviously superior in presentation (using ML to neatly scroll the text) and graphics (Ultima-style scrolling map, ML to speed up the movement on the screen), there is a certain charm to the crudely minimalist Dunjon II. It looks like something that comes out of the 1980s type-in games programs from COMPUTE! magazine.

What Dunjon II ultimately is, is a D&D simulator. I've always wanted to program such a game, and it was something that was always creeping in the back of my mind.

As for any future RPG games for the VIC-20, I must admit, I've been distracted lately by other things and most of my retrocomputing time is now spent with my MMC Replay cartridge for the Commodore 64. I'd like to eventually do "Realms of Quest III" which will be an epic RPG (comparable to Ultima IV) for the VIC-20 (I decided that it would be OK if it required 16K ram expansion).

I am slowly working on another VIC-20 game now, which is a US presidential election simulation game. It's in a preliminary stage for now--I'm just collecting data of previous election results and working on AI.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Athlor
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Athlor »

I always thought this game had the potential of a classic. Basically I refactored it using GW2QB which outputs 1 command per line and moves around blocks of code to eliminate as many gotos as poosible. Then after a little more finessing it was fairly easy to make the C equivalent in code. A Java ME version for cell phones wouldn't be hard either. A Linux and Windows console version would be easy too. ;)