WTB: Carts and games for my VIC...

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

WTB: Carts and games for my VIC...

Post by Zeela »

Hi,

I got a Vic comming my way next week or so... It doesn't come with any software so I'd like to have some games to play with...
And maybe a RAM-cart or Super expander.

I'm not looking for anything rare, just some fun cheap games...
so if you have any duplicates I'm interrested...

BTW I'm located in sweden, so preferrably swedish stuff or at least PAL stuff.

// Zee
Check out my humble collection of old 'puters an such
http://www.zeela.se
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

If you have a diskdrive, (1541 etc...) then you can connect it to your internet computer with a special cable and then download lots of vic20 software from the internet... Then connect it to the vic20 and... play! ;) But for the cartridge images to play, you will need at least 8K of expansion ram. But there are a lot of stuff for the unexpanded vic too... Take a look in "Game of the week" for adresses to game sites.

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Never underestimate type-in games... see the 20 line game contest in the BASIC section. Welcome to VIC country!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Zeela »

Yeah, I have a couple of disk drives ( a 1570 and a 1571) that I could use.

But I'd really need some sort of memory expansion 8 or 16Kb

But I'd really like some original Carts with games so my 5-year-old son can use the VIC by himself.

One game I really would like is Meteor Run.

// Zee
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Zeela »

Thanks.

That one I must have missed when looking at auctions at Tradera.
Too bad it's a bit expensive.

// Zee
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Depends on how much you want it. The rarity list suggests $6, which equals to 45 SEK, while this one in plastic starts at 149 SEK. Get a ROM image and test play in an emulator with your son if he likes the game. :)

Considering the relative demand for memory expansions and that there are a few really good DIY projects, I wonder if not anyone is selling ready made expansions? Nicolas Welte sells assembled kits of his RAM/ROM board, but maybe that is a little overkill.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Does Demon Attack actually work okay on a PAL Vic20? I only ask because I've tried it on 2 different machines and the graphics are crapped up. Or was there actually a PAL release of it? (my copy is from the US)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i am assuming there was a PAL version, as i have both NTSC and PAL rom images on disk.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I only ask because I've never seen any of the Imagic games for sale outside of US/Canada. Having said that, the version included with GB Vic20 seems to be PAL as it works fine on Vice (and displays the same crappy graphics if you switch to NTSC mode).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i wonder how many games only appeared in europe and vice versa?

there seems like a lot of tape games coming out of the UK for example, that i have never heard of in canada
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Hm, so maybe a PAL version rarely seen could be more uncommon than a NTSC version. If the cartridge is still shrink-wrapped and never opened, maybe it is a NTSC cart? How would one tell the difference other than try to play it - maybe the box art or cartridge label would say?

BTW, I think that is the first non-tape VIC-20 software item I've ever seen on Tradera. I haven't followed it very well, so I can be wrong.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Well Anders, I think I have bought 8 carts on Tradera the last year... so.... But not at that high price... The cheapest was 5 carts in a bundle for 71 SEK. I was a little stupid to not bid on an 8K ram cart that went very cheap because that was before I found out that my vic1020 expander works just fine (and I had only one vic20 then... ;) )
The highest bid on a game cart on tradera I have seen was something like 80 SEK for Donkey Kong... But I don't think 149 SEK for a never used game is very high. The problem is that if I would buy it, then I would probably NOT open it. Just save it and maybe sell it some day in the future....

I regret that I didn't buy a lot of carts in 1991 when they had a sell out at "Stor&Liten" for 14 SEK each!!!!! I just bought two! :roll:

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

A tip to find all vic20 stuff on tradera is to just search for "vic" and then look for everything that isn't a book by "Vic Sunesson" ;)

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »