Maximum display size PAL and NTSC, post your pics here

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

nippur72
de Lagash

Maximum display size PAL and NTSC, post your pics here

Post by nippur72 »

I've written a small utility program to check the maximum display size of real hardwares (TV sets or Monitors).

If you like, download it from here and run on your real VIC-20.

Use cursor keys to center the screen and +,-,<,> to increase/decrease the screen size. "I" key turns on/off the interlaced mode. R key restores the original screen values.

Don't forget to post a picture, the datas showed in the screen are useful to game developers, so they can write NTSC and PAL compatible programs!

I'll start with a picture of my system, a 14" TV set from "SINUDYNE":

Image[/url]
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Hey, I wrote a program just like yours once:
http://user.tninet.se/~pug510w/datormuseum/overscan.zip
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Your link doesn't work.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Now it did...
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

Boray wrote:Hey, I wrote a program just like yours once
a typical example of Convergent evolution :)

BTW, do you have any pics? I'm interested in NTSC values...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

nippur72 wrote:
Boray wrote:Hey, I wrote a program just like yours once
a typical example of Convergent evolution :)

BTW, do you have any pics? I'm interested in NTSC values...
Mine seems to be quicker... Convergent design... not evolution... My program ceirtainly didn't write itself by chance over millions of generations... ;) I don't have any NTSC machine... And my Philips monitor has knobs to tweak the display to what you want... But I will take a picture of my display anyway because I think this is a good idea (of course I would, wouldn't I ;) ). I think I only got Vic User to post his values when I posted my program here...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

My normal vic display:

Big display on my normal monitor setting:

Oversized display on my normal monitor setting:

Biggest display I could get on my monitor:

Standard size on this monitor setting:
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

With my biggest setting, I got 224x280 = 62720 pixles. A c64 has a display of 320x200 = 64000 pixles.
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

and better than a ZX spectrum that has 32x24 and less colors.

P.S. nice monitor btw, with all those tweaking knobs
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Boray wrote: Mine seems to be quicker... Convergent design... not evolution... My program ceirtainly didn't write itself by chance over millions of generations... ;)
For the record, evolution isn't chance, thanks to something called natural selection. :wink:
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

DigitalQuirk wrote:
Boray wrote: Mine seems to be quicker... Convergent design... not evolution... My program ceirtainly didn't write itself by chance over millions of generations... ;)
For the record, evolution isn't chance, thanks to something called natural selection. :wink:
So you mean there is a purpose in evolution? Who's purpose?
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Boray wrote: So you mean there is a purpose in evolution? Who's purpose?
Ours.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

My normal vic display (Commodore 1084s):

Big display Interlace off (31x25 is better but i may adjust the display for 31x26):

Big display Interlace on (31 rows x 25cols is better IMHO):
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Boray wrote:
DigitalQuirk wrote:
So you mean there is a purpose in evolution? Who's purpose?
It's meaningless to talk about purpose in natural processes, although we as self-reflecting sentient beings have a tendency to look for purpose and meaning in everything.

For an introduction to the role of chance in evolution see the talk.origins FAQ.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

what is the effect of interlace, I can't see any difference on my TV set.

And also, why your bottom colour memory looks all black while mine is random? Did you clear it by hand? :)

A small tip when taking pictures of CRT displays: to avoid the horizontal black strip use a very low shutter speed on your camera (e.g. 1/8 second). This because with fast shutter speeds you actually capture the raster beam painting on the screen; the black zone is the part of the previuos video page that is dropping in luminosity and that needs to be "refreshed".

If your camera doesn't allow to change the shutter speed, but has "presets", then look for "night scene" or "fireworks" preset.

Low shutter speeds require the use of a tripod or of a very steady hand. You can also avoid the spotlight mirrored on the screen by turning the flash off. If the overall pictures (except screen) is too dark you can take two exposures and merge them in photoshop (like I did in my picture).

Sorry for the small OT.