Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

nbla000
Salmon Run

Tetris+

Post by nbla000 »

Hi there,

I've just released my last Tetris version: Tetris+

It was born as an enhanced version of Tetris Deluxe already derived from the first version of Nippur72's Tetris but after a lot of changes mainly in the play mode, i've released it as a new game.

There are 3 different play modes now: ARCADE, TRIAL and CLASSIC, hi-score saves to disk or MegaCart nvRAM, new nice Carlsson's tunes for various events and an arcade style charset made by Nippur72, thanks Nino.

Special thanks to Carlsson for his great music player and new nice tunes.

Please go to my Tetris+ page for further info and download.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

It was previewed at our barbeque party two weeks ago. Perhaps one of the 10 most playable VIC-20 games ever, according to me and my friends. Even those who hate Commodore computers liked to play it!
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I was playing this yesterday. It's excellent!
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

gklinger wrote:I was playing this yesterday. It's excellent!
Yesterday ?!?!
I've public released it just few minutes ago...

You got a leak from a beta tester, ok i know all of them :wink:
btw please use the last final version with minor fixes from the Tetris+ page.

If i'm not wrong you have the special 6502dude hacked cartridge, using the 8k rom version you may save/read hi-scores with it.

Thank you for your compliment and many thanks to Carlsson for his patience, nice tunes Anders 8)
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

nbla000 wrote:You got a leak from a beta tester, ok i know all of them :wink:
I'm guilty :oops:
I had this image loaded in 8K nvRam hack green cart when I brought it to TPUG meeting in May.

In the past month I have played the game periodically. Sorry not much feedback from me - I really could not find anything wrong.

I agree with gklinker's assessment. It is an excellent game and carlsson's music is great!

The cassette insert graphic is very nice! If you do not mind, I will add to the Arma TAP files site as I post it back online.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Yep. I plugged in the 8K nvRam cartridge and there it was. Once I started playing it I couldn't stop. Even my girlfriend had a go. It really is superb and everyone involved deserves a big pat on the back.

I shall install the latest version tonight for another session!
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

6502dude wrote:I'm guilty :oops:
I suspected this :wink:
In the past month I have played the game periodically. Sorry not much feedback from me - I really could not find anything wrong.
Don't worry, i will send you new MegaCart Roms with new Tetris version that read/save hi-scores on IO/nvRAM addresses and all new additional features.
The cassette insert graphic is very nice! If you do not mind, I will add to the Arma TAP files site as I post it back online.
Yes great Orion70 work too, The VicTalian Team: Nippur72, Orion70 and me plus the Swedish foreign, Carlsson with his flag on the cover too :wink:

About Arma, worthy thing your support, i think it must be a resource for classic games released before the 1990.

A good idea may be to add all new releases to the denial wiki in a specific Software subsection, maybe "New releases" or "2k releases", all of us may contribute to this section, i'm sure Mayhem may help us.
gklinger wrote:Yep. I plugged in the 8K nvRam cartridge and there it was.
Another great 6502dude work, i use it mainly for tests on real machines without manage eprommers/cables and other stuff, simply load it and go, very useful !!!
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

That's a great conversion - I didn't see the original one, so I base this on its' own merits. It is polished and professional - why didn't we see more games of this quality 'back in the day'?

I like the music too - impressive, and hardly distinguishable as Vic music.

However, I must put it away now, for my own good - I wasted too many hours of my youth on Tetris!

-G
3^4 is 81.0000001
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Victragic wrote:It is polished and professional - why didn't we see more games of this quality 'back in the day'?
Isn't it though? It puts quite a few commercial releases to shame in the quality department. As for why we didn't see many games of this quality back in the day, I suspect it is because NBLA000, Nippur72 & carlsson weren't writing games back then. :)

Aside from the fact that Alexey Pajitnov didn't write the first Tetris until 1985, I'm convinced that a game like this, and quite frankly, many of the games released this year, would have been big sellers.
fgasking
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by fgasking »

Excellent stuff!... thanks very much :)
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

gklinger wrote:I suspect it is because NBLA000, Nippur72 & carlsson weren't writing games back then.
I think the main reason is that now exist Internet and Denial :wink:

In one word knowledge.

I got my vic when i was 11 years old, the manual was in english and i studied french as foreign language at school.

My friends were in the same condition and the only way to learn something was to buy basic courses on cassettes or magazines with basic code to retype, btw basic only.

I didn't know Vic-20 Memory Map, ROM Addresses, video/color memory relocation and absolutely nothing of assembler.

I'm a VB programmer but i started to learn ASM, two years ago with Carlsson who explained me first ASM rudiments and Nippur72 that opened me the ASM world by writing PONG along with me.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Just imagine what kind of VIC-20 games people like Tom Griner, Jeff Minter and Eugine Evans could make today if they had kept up with their old skills and had the motivation and time.

As NBLA writes, all the documentation, modern resources and information exchange make up a big deal for high quality homebrews. There are no deadlines, so a game can be polished indeterminely long instead of finish this and start working on the next game instead.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
TMR
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by TMR »

carlsson wrote:There are no deadlines, so a game can be polished indeterminely long instead of finish this and start working on the next game instead.
This is the biggie i reckon, a game can be in limbo for years whilst it's tweaked, tuned and generally made ready; look at Xeo3 on the Plus/4, i've been waiting for that for about seven years now and it'll get released when the authors decide it's ready.
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

The quality of VIC releases in 2008 is astonishing, thank you! This is better than any Tetris I've played on 80's computers. Must have been a lot of codework
Ivanhoe76
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Ivanhoe76 »

Great work nbla000 (compliments goes to nippur and carlsson too, obviously!!)...this is one of the best arcade conversion for our viccy... well except frogger '07... except pong and parachute (even if it's not properly an arcade, this can be defined a conversion!!), and so on... P.S. : I pleasantly noticed that the vic scene is still alive, even more than ever befere!!!
No one should tolerate death and violence because tolerance will generate habit.