New Release: GOMOKU

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

nippur72
de Lagash

New Release: GOMOKU

Post by nippur72 »

I've finally released my Gomoku port for the Vic-20 which we have been discussing on this past thread: Gomoku on Vic?.

You can download it from my Vic-20 home page.

A cross-compiled Commodore 64 version with the same features is available too. Machine language enthusiasts may also download full source code.

EDIT:

An updated and improved version (2019) is available here.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

GREAT! Something to do when outside is raining and you need some time-killer... And it's damn SMART! :evil:

Thank you very much.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I like the border; excellent. I really want to understand methods for creating artificial intelligence (where the computer makes unpredictable strategic, not random, choices).
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
TMR
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by TMR »

Hasn't it been a busy month for VIC releases! =-) Just a suggestion since there's a C64 port of this one, but have you considered doing a C16 version as well...?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I didn't know what this game was until now. In swedish, it's called "Luffarschack" which means "bum chess". Here is a screenshot of my BorayLetter email game version:

PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Now I have payed it too, in vice, and it's nice! :)
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

TMR wrote:but have you considered doing a C16 version as well...?
I just finished a C16 / Plus4 version too :-) (download from the same page)

It was a tedious work because I had to find all the TED registers and the color values. I also had to dig the rom Kernal looking for the "print integer" routine (the one used by the LIST command to print line numbers). Sadly to say, there is no rom disassembly for C16 (the only one is now broken link).

The print string routine (address in A/Y) gave me a lot of problems because works differently than in VIC20/C64. Perhaps because the C16 Kernal is more advanced with all those escape sequences, &c.. &c...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

fgasking
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by fgasking »

Awesome stuff!... will check it out!.... this indeed has been a fantastic year so far for the Vic 20 and long may it continue!
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I'll give the computer credit, it's quite tricksy (for me at least) although I have managed to win. Now for a Go program hah hah :lol:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

This is really something great! I did not believe that such a good Gomoku game could be made on a VIC. The power of this little computer still amazes me-
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

Quite a hard game, I wasn't able to beat it under 18 moves and it usually beats me.

Could there be an option so that the computer plays first? (I'd just like to see how it plays against itself : D)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Heh. I found a Go-Moku game for the C64 on CSDb, and wondered if it was a different one than this one.

Yet again the C64 scene shows its ugly face, as someone has "cracked" Nippur's game. :evil: These "cool" people have tagged on a title screen with music and are so proud of themselves. Of course the web page doesn't display original credits, such are not important in the land of demos and cracks.

Every time this takes place, I get less and less motivated to develop anything for the C64 and stay entirely with the VIC-20. :-? There is nothing bad with that, just a waste of a platform I know fairly well but not feeling welcome to contribute to.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

carlsson wrote:Every time this takes place, I get less and less motivated to develop anything for the C64 and stay entirely with the VIC-20. :-? There is nothing bad with that, just a waste of a platform I know fairly well but not feeling welcome to contribute to.
I agree, another reason is that pratically everything was discovered for the C64 while the vic is a treasure to discover.
An example ? Robotic Liberation, imagine all this knowledge applied to a new game....

About Gomoku for the Vic i wish to add it on MegaCart if Nippur72 agree.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

There are no commercial c64 games any longer so now they have to crack freeware... How pathetic... :roll: