Power Supply

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Power Supply

Post by dragos »

In case some of you have missed it, there is a thread on C.S.C (http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys ... b9522b96b#)
regarding a "custom" power supply. I encourage you all to read it.

pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Well, whatever works :?
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Okay, I just read the comp.sys.cbm thread and now I "get it".

Like I said over on Amiga.org, a little harsh looking, but is there anything electrically bad/harmful about doing things this way? Is it breaking any "rules"?

The reason I ask this is that I have a box of old wall-wart power supplies and have often though about making a Commodore power supply this way, because tracking down replacement power supplies for my 1541-II is a pain in the arse!

If I do this though I'll probably avoid the larger case to improve ventilation.

EDIT: okay, I did read about some of the risks in using this method over on comp.sys.cbm. I guess I won't be doing things this way.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

If you don't mind me asking, how much did this set you back?
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

pitcalco wrote:Well, whatever works :?
Looks like someone didn't read the OP. The point is that it died after 3 hours.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

$35 plus $15 shipping.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Elsewhere, eslapion wrote:
Anyways, my job now is to ensure public safety... you should be thankful you have meticulous people like autistics making sure your TV set or computer doesn't blow up in your face when you turn them on...
When I read the first bit of this, I figured he had a summer job as a crossing guard or a shopping mall rent-a-cop. :lol:

It is pretty scary that someone who would sell that piece of junk as a "custom heavy duty" power supply has anything to do with equipment testing and inspection.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

gklinger wrote:
pitcalco wrote:Well, whatever works :?
Looks like someone didn't read the OP. The point is that it died after 3 hours.
Yes, I did read it. While it is hard to express sarcasm on the forum the rather disconcerted looking smiley at the end of the sentence was intended convey such a sentiment.

I am not especially surprised that a set-up like that did not last long.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

As a side note, last Tuesday I picked up a fully working VIC-20CR style power supply for ~$0.35 at a second hand store having a clearance. I also picked up a mostly fully working Atari 2600 original joystick for $0.15. I look around in desperation for a matching VIC-20 or breadbox C64, but didn't find any. Either the second hand store didn't have any, it was already sold or kept in the storage room to be brought out later.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

6502dude wrote:Elsewhere, eslapion wrote:
Anyways, my job now is to ensure public safety... you should be thankful you have meticulous people like autistics making sure your TV set or computer doesn't blow up in your face when you turn them on...
When I read the first bit of this, I figured he had a summer job as a crossing guard or a shopping mall rent-a-cop. :lol:

It is pretty scary that someone who would sell that piece of junk as a "custom heavy duty" power supply has anything to do with equipment testing and inspection.
I think this might be the Denial Forum's own Watergate scandal. :cry:

Paul Lambert
Berlin
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

carlsson wrote:As a side note, last Tuesday I picked up a fully working VIC-20CR style power supply for ~$0.35 at a second hand store having a clearance. I also picked up a mostly fully working Atari 2600 original joystick for $0.15. I look around in desperation for a matching VIC-20 or breadbox C64, but didn't find any. Either the second hand store didn't have any, it was already sold or kept in the storage room to be brought out later.
Hi Carlsson,

Just a question to someone you might know, like you.

Was the VIC 20 with a two-prong 9V AC power input ever sold in Sweden? I have one I bought in America and I have to connect the 110V power unit to a power converter which produces so much interference that the telly flickers and there is a constant hum. If you happen to find a 220V Vic 20 power unit of the 2-prong kind would you let me know, please?

Paul Lambert
Berlin
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yes, the two-prong VIC-20 is quite common in Europe/Sweden. I think I know where I can find a loose power supply, and will keep you in mind.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

pitcalco wrote: If you happen to find a 220V Vic 20 power unit of the 2-prong kind would you let me know, please?
Maybe you have to modify the plug that goes into the vic-20. Take a look at these pictures: http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/wiki ... r_Supplies
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

pitcalco wrote:I think this might be the Denial Forum's own Watergate scandal. :cry:
Ok, then who is "deep throat"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry to all those too young to remember this period in US politics. :wink:
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

6502dude wrote:Ok, then who is "deep throat"? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Centallica. Definitely. :)
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.