Mail order Monsters for the C64

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Mail order Monsters for the C64

Post by ral-clan »

Could someone help to find a working ROM dump of this game for the C64. It's the only game I fondly remember, but can't seem to track down on the internet. I've got a copy of a ROM, but it doesn't work.

http://www.lemon64.com/?game_id=1582

If you have a .d64 of this game, or know where to get one, please get in touch with me (PM or here in this thread).

Thanks!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Have you checked Arnold?

ftp://arnold.c64.org/pub/games/m/

Ok, it is piracy but so is Zimmers, Arma's TAP images, both multicarts and so on. :twisted:
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Oh, thanks! That site didn't come up on a search engine for some reason.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

This might be one that requires a G64... have to check.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Mirage1972
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Mirage1972 »

The one from Lemon works just fine on my emu... both on the current VICEPlus (for Mac) and on Power64 (also for Mac).
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Mirage1972 wrote:The one from Lemon works just fine on my emu... both on the current VICEPlus (for Mac) and on Power64 (also for Mac).
Well, I did download it from arnold, but I must be blind, because I looked and looked but didn't see a download for the ROM image on Lemon64 (only download for the music and box scan).
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

carlsson wrote:Have you checked Arnold?
I found it on http://www.c64.com.
Ok, it is piracy but so is Zimmers, Arma's TAP images, both multicarts and so on. :twisted:
You tell me the company, that still sells any of these programs. :?

In 99,99% of all cases, the Internet archives mentioned will be the only way to get hold of the programs, short of buying these second- (or third-, fourth-, etc.)-hand from a collector. From which the company wouldn't gain anything anymore, either.

Finally, said addresses are well known. If any of the represented companies is interested to defend their copyright, they always can demand for removal of their software.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

You keep saying ROM - was this a C64 cartridge or are you just acting clueless, calling all forms of downloadable software for ROMs? :)
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mirage1972
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Mirage1972 »

ral-clan wrote:
Mirage1972 wrote:The one from Lemon works just fine on my emu... both on the current VICEPlus (for Mac) and on Power64 (also for Mac).
Well, I did download it from arnold, but I must be blind, because I looked and looked but didn't see a download for the ROM image on Lemon64 (only download for the music and box scan).
Arnold, I meant Arnold, sorry. (but I got it some time ago, not just now, who knows if it's the same still). At any rate, it works for me. I don't have any odd emu settings or anything, but like I said, it's the Mac versions. I wouldn't think it would make any difference, but... there it is.

I just tried the MOM on the PC through GB64v05. It works fine also. PM me your email address and I'll email you that file tonight if you want.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

carlsson wrote:You keep saying ROM - was this a C64 cartridge or are you just acting clueless, calling all forms of downloadable software for ROMs? :)
I'm just being lazy. I know they are disk images. I am used to calling all games for emulators "ROMS" though. Sorry. :oops:

Anyway, I did get Mail Order Monsters working. It turns out that you need to turn "TRUE DRIVE EMULATION" on in VICE in order to get it to work (I guess the version I downloaded has a floppy speedup loader in it). Otherwise it would hang.

Now....onto something that's NOT on Arnold and NOT downloadable from Lemon64 (but listed there). "Broadsides" (by SSI, I think). Anyone know where that obscure game is available? This is a naval combat game.

While on Arnold I got two of my favourite old games: Maniac Mansion and Zack McKracken. Awesome games. Unfortunately, they won't load in VICE with either TRUE DRIVE emulation turned on or off. Perhaps I need to wait longer, but it seemed like the load process just hung after a few seconds.
Last edited by ral-clan on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

ral-clan wrote:I'm just being lazy. I know they are disk images. I am used to calling all games for emulators "ROMS" though. Sorry. :oops:
If these were the Lemon forums, you'd be dead already. :)
Anyway, I did get Mail Order Monsters working. It turns out that you need to turn "TRUE DRIVE EMULATION" on in VICE in order to get it to work (I guess the version I downloaded has a floppy speedup loader in it). Otherwise it would hang.
As a rule of thumb you should always have true drive emulation turned on. The amount of time you save not having to constantly reload things with TDE offsets the occasional slower load time.
Now....something that's NOT on Arnold and NOT downloadable from Lemon64 (but listed there).
In all fairness, Lemon isn't a software repository and Arnold is far from complete. The best advice I can give you is that when you want a 64 game, go to the GameBase64. If it isn't there, it isn't anywhere.
"Broadsides" (by SSI, I think). Anyway know where that obscure game is available? This is a naval combat game.
Proof infused pudding: Broadsides
While on Arnold I get get two of my favourite old games: Maniac Mansion and Zack McKracken. Awesome games. Unfortunately, they won't load in VICE with either TRUE DRIVE emulation turned on or off. Perhaps I need to wait longer, but it seemed like the load process just hung after a few seconds.
Perhaps. You should try the versions from GameBase64. The GB64 is stress tested and everything works. There is simply no need to look anywhere else. Also, you can download the entire GameBase64 for offline use.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Thanks. I had never visited GB64 before. It is truely all-encompassing!
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

We aim to please to collate everything out there ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Hanzi
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Hanzi »

Maniac Mansion can be downloaded from GB64 but it`s not possible to play it to the end. (Sorry Mitch)
The only working cracked version of Maniac Mansion is the Radwar crack.
(tested to the end).
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Hanzi wrote:Maniac Mansion can be downloaded from GB64 but it`s not possible to play it to the end.
Really? I've never tried but it seems like the sort of thing that I would have heard before now given the popularity of the game.
The only working cracked version of Maniac Mansion is the Radwar crack. (tested to the end).
By you?

I don't meant to doubt you. I'm just looking for any/all information I can get on this. Thanks in advance for your help.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.