VIC-20 on the Technical Museum

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

carlsson
Class of '6502

VIC-20 on the Technical Museum

Post by carlsson »

Me and Stonan visited the Technical Museum in Stockholm last Sunday, mainly because a temporary exhibit about computer games. The exhibit was so-so, but you got to play a few games and read some quotes from Swedish game developers, distributors and so on.

Most interesting was that they had a small demo display, where recordings of demos from various systems were displayed. I captured the display while it was playing Robotic Liberation by PWP. Among the other demos was State of the Art by Spaceballs (Amiga) and more.

On another floor, the museum had a regular exhibit with telephones, multimedia and computers. In this section I found the VIC-20, C64, IMSAI and all the others in the photo album linked here:

http://www.anders.sfks.se/bilder.php?album=11

It is hard to see, but the VIC-20 cartridge is Submarine Commander and its owner had fitted a switch on the side?! I suppose it was a switch to disable block 5, in order to prevent it from autostarting.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Wonder-Boy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wonder-Boy »

Hey cool! I've been meaning to go there.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

:D

But it would have been much more nice if they had the computers running something.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I prefer museum exhibits showing the artifacts in a period setting, demonstrating a typical set-up. A small black and white TV would have been nice; as well, I'm fairly certain that the joystick plugged into the Vic in that display came out after the Vic 20. A Commodore 64 display definitely needs a 1701 or 1702 monitor.

A "Wood paneling" backdrop typical of the late 1970's/early 80's would set the mood for the Vic, while a pastel would represent the decor of the Commodore 64's hey-day. It would also be nice if they had hanging on the wall behind the exhibits framed examples of adverts for those computers. It's all about the details for a good exhibit.
Wonder-Boy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wonder-Boy »

I was there today! It was nice. They displayed many Swedish games, e.g. Fairlight for Spectrum and The Darkness for XBOX360 etc.