33%
Nah, that's blasphemy!
67%

Total votes: 18

PaulQ
undead vic

The Asus EEE - a modern day Vic 20?

Post by PaulQ »

I don't know if anyone here has seen this or not, but Asus is developing and promising a low-cost notebook known as the EEE. Google is your friend and will provide you with the links to learn all about it.

Given its low-cost design and price point, is this the modern day equivalent to the Vic 20? I see parallels here, but some of you may beg to differ...
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Re: The Asus EEE - a modern day Vic 20?

Post by gklinger »

DigitalQuirk wrote:I don't know if anyone here has seen this or not, but Asus is developing and promising a low-cost notebook known as the EEE.
The full name is "Eee PC" (pronounced e-p-c) and Asus is past the developing and promising stage. I already have one. :)

There are less expensive PCs out there so I'm having trouble seeing the parallels.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

One parallel is the fact that the Vic 20 was considered the first affordable home computer. Up until then, you were lucky to get a game console for the price of a Vic.

Traditionally, laptops have been more expensive than their desktop counterparts. Now, for the price of a game console, you can own a laptop computer.

In other words, what the Vic did for home computers, the Eee PC is doing for laptop computers.

Another parallel is that, when the Vic 20 came out, it wasn't the latest and greatest; it's design was greatly simplified over other computers of its day, but offered full expansion to that of bigger computers. In the same respect, the Eee isn't using the latest and greatest and is a very simplified laptop, though via peripheral add-ons can have many of the same features (ie; storage capacity) of more expensive laptops.

That's all I got.
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

um $399 for that toy? Best Buy regularly sells new REAL laptops for that amount. I think people that buy tose will bo sorely disappointed.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

dragos wrote:um $399 for that toy? Best Buy regularly sells new REAL laptops for that amount. I think people that buy tose will bo sorely disappointed.
Tsss tss... ignorance is bliss...

The EEE PC is a fantastic little device. Unlike a REAL laptop, it is fully solid state. Its resistance to shock is way higher than that of a REAL laptop.

Even if its the same price as a low end laptop, its much better because it is both smaller and sturdier than a laptop.

Its solid state drive can easily be boosted to a much higher capacity and this thing has about the same power as a 5 year old laptop but it costs peanuts.

Unless you use processor intensive applications, which is rarely the case on a laptop, its a fantastic substitute AND it can run emulators such as VICE and WinUAE very nicely.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: The Asus EEE - a modern day Vic 20?

Post by eslapion »

gklinger wrote:There are less expensive PCs out there so I'm having trouble seeing the parallels.
The Sinclair SX-81 was also cheaper than the VIC at the time...

However, it wasn't as "universal" as the VIC.

The VIC was selling everywhere, it supported Atari Joysticks and paddles and it used ordinary cassette tapes to store programs. It also had Basic built-in rather than require a bootable disk with cryptic commands to use.

The EEE PC uses Windows XP that everyone is familiar with and its available in common electronic stores.
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

tout it all you want... still crap
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

dragos wrote:tout it all you want... still crap
Well, if you ask me (which you didn't, but I'll pretend you did,) as far as I'm concerned, real notebooks are crap. I mean, putting something like a hard drive inside a portable device like a notebook is a terrible idea. Hard drives were never designed for that type of use. Then there's the fact that manufacturers try to make them as powerful as desktops; inevitably, they run hotter than desktops, which really shortens their life. I mean, desktops are usually in a tower case with plenty of space for huge heat syncs, multiple fans, and lots of airflow. Stuff all that power into a space a fraction of the size, with a single fan and the addition of a huge battery that needs to be charged (adding to the heat), and how long are we expected to think these things will last? Maybe a few days past their warranty, if they're actually used on a daily basis.

The Asus Eee notebook, to me, represents what portable computing ought to be. No miserable hard drives to add to the heat and to act as the weak link if you happen to bump the notebook at just the wrong time (which has happened to me). With a processor running in the Mhz range, rather than the Ghz range, plus the lack of a hard drive, you do away with a lot of the heat issues that plague notebook computers.

Honestly, I think the Eee would suit my portable computing needs perfectly. I've had notebooks, and suffered all the problems that come with owning them. Thus far, the Eee would seem to remedy those problems. Mind you, I think they could do away with the camera and shave off a few more dollars, but that's okay.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

eslapion wrote:Its solid state drive can easily be boosted to a much higher capacity and this thing has about the same power as a 5 year old laptop but it costs peanuts.
Actually, it doesn't use a standard IDE SSD and upgrading the storage is possible in only a small fraction of the units shipped.
Unless you use processor intensive applications, which is rarely the case on a laptop, its a fantastic substitute AND it can run emulators such as VICE and WinUAE very nicely.
Are you speaking from first hand experience? I have first hand exerience and I must disagree. The Eee PC runs Windows very poorly and WinUAE was almost unusable. E-UAE under Linux was slightly better but not enough to make a difference. It's functional for web browsing, email and light word processing on the road. Beyond that, prepare for disappointment.

I'm mildly amused that a bunch of people who have never used an Eee PC (and probably never even laid hands on one) are debating it's faults and/or merits.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

gklinger wrote:Are you speaking from first hand experience? I have first hand exerience and I must disagree. The Eee PC runs Windows very poorly and WinUAE was almost unusable. E-UAE under Linux was slightly better but not enough to make a difference. It's functional for web browsing, email and light word processing on the road. Beyond that, prepare for disappointment.

I'm mildly amused that a bunch of people who have never used an Eee PC (and probably never even laid hands on one) are debating it's faults and/or merits.
We have a small pile of them at the university.

I played Elite for Amiga just fine... dunno what else to say.

The EEE PC we have use CF cards as hard drives and we were able to replace them with higher capacity cards real easy.

Generally, I had performances which compare to a P-3 of 800MHz.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

eslapion wrote:We have a small pile of them at the university.
Which model? What OS? Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.
The EEE PC we have use CF cards as hard drives and we were able to replace them with higher capacity cards real easy.
In mine the SSD is soldered to the board and can not be upgraded and the model that can be upgraded uses a PCI Express mini card. I'm perplexed because no model has ever been released that used a CF card for storage (according to Asus themselves). When you said CF, did you mean PCI Express mini card? You've really got me curious now.

Anyway, I have a life-long obsession with handheld and portable computing so I had to purchase an Eee PC when it was released. I don't regret my purchase but it hasn't become the constant companion I had envisioned. If the rumours are correct and Asus releases a version with a Merom processor, a 9 to 10" LED display and upgradable storage, I'll buy another. With 2GB of RAM and 32GB of solid state storage, the Eee PC could be the perfect portable for my needs.

I still don't see any real connection to the VIC-20 though.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

My main interest in this is to do the following:
-Browse the web and do e-mail tasks while away from home
-Edit and create various types of documents while away from home (including html)
-Run classic DOS games, such as Command and Conquer: Red Alert and Sim City flawlessly
-Replace my Palm Z22 as a PDA, to keep track of appointments and special dates
-Be able to manipulate photos (crop, resize, enhance) taken with my digital camera

I do like my Palm, but dislike the fact that I need to connect it to my computer to get things like programs and pictures into it. I also dislike the lack of a keyboard; though I could add one, but the screen on the Z22 really isn't suitable for editing things like html files. I've been considering upgrading to a better Palm unit, but it looks as though the Eee PC will better suit my needs.

I've had notebooks in the past, but even the small ones are too big, they tend to run too hot, and I despise the fact that the hard drive is so vulnerable. More expensive models offer better protection of the hard disk drive, but now we're into a lot of money for something bigger and more powerful than I want or need. Solid state, like my Palm Z22, really is the way to go for a klutz like me!

Also, I should add that, when I travel (I do enjoy traveling), I prefer to travel light, but still be able to bring conveniences like a computer along. I like to pack everything I need in a single backpack (camcorder, clothes, etc.) As such, I really like those cargo pants that can be converted into shorts!
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

2 and a half hour battery life. Why oh why? If it had given 8 or maybe even 5 I would have bought one in a second. I don't need everything to be so small, sometimes less really is less - make it with an option for a big battery at least, and I'll be more curious..

It's not that great to use - the touchpad is awful, the keys tiny and the screen like looking at a PSP - not great for a lot of text if you have eyes like mine.

I wonder how hard it would be to get a version of Windows Mobile working on it.

$499 here (we're nearly on par with the US now) - I think this is more of a prototype than anything, an appetiser before the true contenders - in THAT respect it is like the Vic. (Don't flame me, you know it's at least partly true :wink: )
3^4 is 81.0000001
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

I have one! :twisted: And I think it's great. Sure...I could have got a full sized laptop for that price, but who wants to lug a full sized laptop around? Yeh...sure there are other ultra-protables on the market, but at least twice the price. For the money, I don't tink you can go past it as a gadget. It cost less than my PDA. (OK...so my PDA is more powerfull :wink: ) But you can do VIC software development ANYWHERE!

As to whether it's the modern day VIC-20...probably not. There have been affordable desktop PCs that have been getting into the average consumer's homes for a long time. But it's certainly setting a new trend in ultra-portables.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

hawk wrote:..who wants to lug a full sized laptop around?
Arthur C Clarke?

3^4 is 81.0000001