Poll: What do you do for a living?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Poll: What do you do for a living?

Post by Jeff-20 »

I know it is a personal question, but what do you do for a living? I am just curious as to how this hobby relates/influences your chosen careers, jobs, professions. Anyone work in the tech industry?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Currently web programmer (not designer - I'm not so good with graphics and colours) in the travel industry. I'm working with PHP most of the day.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

for me, i think you are right, about this hobby influencing my employment.

although my background is in biology, because of my interest and non stop talking about computers, i am often the guy to go to, in the event something goes wrong with a computer at work (Candadian Hydrographic Service), and they don't want to call the help desk.

Eventually i got offered to run the Print On Demand shop, where i get to play with some amazing large format printers.

Still want to get back into the biology, but for now it's a cool job. unsupervised, my own office, my own hours, and plenty of gadgets!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Do you have some scientific project where you can interface a VIC-20? Maybe you know it was rather popular for such projects, at least compared to the C64 which has more stuff going on and harder to interface timing critical stuff (I've heard). Ten years ago, about right after I had re-bought a VIC, I was asked by a pal to sell it to him to be used in some project.
Anders Carlsson

vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i am still massively interested in hooking up the vic to external devices, like a digital thermometer etc..

i just picked up a book on how to make robots for the vic 20, so that should be fun to read.

actually, i just finished recording to file, all the vic 20 books, manuals, etc.. i have, and will be starting to scan them in, and then have them available for public download.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

vic user wrote:i am still massively interested in hooking up the vic to external devices, like a digital thermometer etc..
Someone found a "Home Weather Kit" for the C-64 for sale at the SWRAP Expo, which was a little A/D board, several sensors that could be connected, and some software. I don't know too many details, but if it used the User Port (likely) it would probably work on the VIC-20.

The VIC-REL is an easy way to connect things to the VIC or 64, but it's only digital I/O. You could probably use the Paddle inputs to get analog data into the VIC though.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Back on topic...As I mentioned before, I am a "Software Systems Engineer" at MD Robotics in Canada working on various space systems.

My VIC20 (and then 64) definitely led to a strong interest in computers and technology, encouraging me to to to University and get an Engineering degree.

Oddly enough, I don't actually write any software at work - I'm more on the planning side. So I get my coding kicks on the VIC and 64 whenever possible instead :wink:
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

oh, that weather kit would have been neat!

be nice to find out all the things it monitored.

one nice thing about the user port, is that you have quite a bit of input and output lines you can use.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I'm a english (lit) professor at a college in downtown chicago. I'd like to think putting together a program is like writing a poem... But I am very far from the tech industry. I've always worked in the arts/humanities fields.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

English prof!

Maybe you are not as young as I thought, but maybe you are. I thought for some reason you are in your mid twenties, and being an english prof by then would be pretty cool
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

You're close... late 20s. I started teaching quite early.
Last edited by Jeff-20 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

-"Oooh professor, I would do anything to pass this exam!" *blinking eyes*
-"Really anything?" *sounds enthusiastic*
-"Oh yes professor, anything you tell me to do!" *give glimpse of breasts*
-"Then I suggest you go home to study some more."
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

yes... "Go home"... that's exactly how it happened (cough cough)...

I teach poetry courses so it is 95% female (no exaggeration). But getting the girls versus keeping my job is an easy choice (or at least that's what I keep telling my girlfriend).
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

So, Mr. Poetry Prof, what are the good rhymes for "VIC"? :lol:

Code: Select all

grep ick\*$ /usr/share/dict/words | more
gives 564 choices, of which many are names or have several syllables. Some "words" are not even there (like d-i-c-k). At least we share the same endings as the Oric people.
Anders Carlsson

Leeeeee
soldering master

Re: Poll: What do you do for a living?

Post by Leeeeee »

I know it is a personal question, but what do you do for a living?
Anyone work in the tech industry?
Up until three weeks ago I was an electronics engineer but like a lot of jobs mine evapourated and I was made redundant.

Tomorrow I start work as an extra in the Demi Moore film currently being produced not too far from here.

Sunday and Monday I was an extra in a TV Drama, two days shooting for a total of three minutes of screen time.

So I guess now I'm an actor. 8^)=

Lee.