Lost version of Frogger? FOUND!

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Stinky
Vic 20 Amateur

Lost version of Frogger? FOUND!

Post by Stinky »

This is possibly an unknown version of Frogger. I bought it in 1984 from a computer store in Canberra, Australia. It came on a plain tape with no sleeve, just a plain case and a green spot sticker with "frogger" handwritten on it. I have not seen it anywhere else and a quick scan through the online archive doesn't show it.

Download it here http://gringo.strangled.net/frogger-stinky.tgz

Notes: For the unexpanded VIC. frogger is the basic loader which has a bogus load statement, but pokes a routine into RAM which loads the next part which I have named zfrogger.

I can't remember the details as I archived it many years ago, but zfrogger loads to $1000, test it with a 3k expander and load it with ,1. Sys 4096 to start it. I think I dumped it like this because of the special loader trick. Both files are exactly as they are in VIC RAM, but could use a cleanup for other things.

This is my favourite version of frogger on the VIC and IMHO the best. I'm sorry that I hadn't uploaded it previously and I would like for this to be included in Mega-Cart if possible.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Any chance of producing a TAP of it and a scan of the inlay? I can't get the files to load properly (even after putting them in a D64), so perhaps someone needs to massage them properly to make it self working for GB20...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Hi, i've tested your frogger discovered version and i think there is a very close/same game in zimmer/arma's but i don't remember the name at the moment.
Stinky wrote:This is my favourite version of frogger on the VIC and IMHO the best.

You probably don't know Frogger '07 absolutely the best Vic-20 frogger conversion, it was released by Victragic, another Australian guy.
Frogger '07 is a game for any Vic+16K, full infos on this thread.
I'm sorry that I hadn't uploaded it previously and I would like for this to be included in Mega-Cart if possible.
I need to check if is possible because i need to hack it since is a multi file version, btw FYI Frogger '07 is included on Mega-Cart, to be honest is my Vic favorite game after Salmon Run :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Mayhem wrote:I can't get the files to load properly (even after putting them in a D64)
I need to investigate but i think is a game for the Vic+3K even if the start address is $1000.

On vice set a vic+3K

if you want to see instruction:
LOAD"FROGGER",8
RUN

to run the game:
LOAD"ZFROGGER",8,1
and after SYS4096 to start it.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Can someone explain how to start this in VICE?

There was no file extention on the unRAR'd file, so I assumed it was a .PRG and renamed it such.

Then I opened VICE and switched to 3K expansion (as the poster suggested above).

The I choose "AUTOSTART DISK/TAPE IMAGE" and it loads, but then starts automatically (no time to type the SYS command recommended) and I get a black screen that hangs.

It seems like I need to put this on a D64 image - is there a quick way to do that in VICE (i.e. create a blank D64 image, then get this PRG onto it)?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Having got it run now, I've checked it off against all the entries in GB20 and it matches the Anirog release. So I've already got it here :)

As for constructing D64 images, I usually create them and then add the PRGs in using a program like DirMaster.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

ral-clan wrote:Can someone explain how to start this in VICE?

There was no file extention on the unRAR'd file, so I assumed it was a .PRG and renamed it such.

Then I opened VICE and switched to 3K expansion (as the poster suggested above).

The I choose "AUTOSTART DISK/TAPE IMAGE" and it loads, but then starts automatically (no time to type the SYS command recommended) and I get a black screen that hangs.

It seems like I need to put this on a D64 image - is there a quick way to do that in VICE (i.e. create a blank D64 image, then get this PRG onto it)?
If you want to start it without create a D64 image using Vice on WINDOWS, this is the way:

1) Unrar the tgz file and rename the file "ZFROGGER" as ZFROGGER.PRG

2) open VICE, set the memory as VIC+3K and close VICE.

3) Double click on ZFROGGER.PRG by holding the Caps-Lock key (Run-Stop for VICE) this prevent load and autorun.

4) In Vice (Vic+3K emulated) go up with cursor keys and press "RETURN" above the row LOAD"ZFORGGER.PRG",8,1 and after type SYS4096 to start it instead of RUN.

Enjoy yourself :wink:

PS: To create D64/D71/D81 images i use Star Commander a DOS program that works in windows too, btw i've tried DirMaster and i must say that is really practical and cool 8)
Stinky
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Stinky »

nbla000 wrote:
Mayhem wrote:I can't get the files to load properly (even after putting them in a D64)
I need to investigate but i think is a game for the Vic+3K even if the start address is $1000.
I can't exactly remember how it works but the original program did run on an unexpanded VIC. The details are hazy but the loader would start and load directly to $1000, which is why there's a problem loading from basic. This version of Frogger was a favourite in my youth. It is remeniscent of "Road Toad" on the 64.

I still have the tape somewhere, but it's in another city. Be sure that this is the 100% version.
Stinky
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Stinky »

Mayhem wrote:Having got it run now, I've checked it off against all the entries in GB20 and it matches the Anirog release. So I've already got it here :)
Have you verified the gameplay/intro against this version? It resembles other versions graphically but is quite different.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah I played the game you posted, it looks and plays exactly like the Anirog release I have here. But which was first? Entirely possible it got licensed down under for release there.
Stinky
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Stinky »

Mayhem wrote:Yeah I played the game you posted, it looks and plays exactly like the Anirog release I have here. But which was first? Entirely possible it got licensed down under for release there.
Where can I get a copy of Anirog frogger?
Stinky
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Stinky »

I've had a look at the program, the correct entry point is $10F0, so sys 4336 will start it correctly. There also seems to be some extraneous bytes appended to zfrogger. I'll do a cleanup and onefile when I've got some time.

Also in the archive is SNAKMAN, this ubiquitous and excellent game is complete and is a version released in Australia by "Computer Classics". It may differ slightly to the other online versions.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Snakman I actually have via a random purchase I made a couple of years back; if not for that I would certainly still need the file you uploaded. But as it's a one-piece and I made a TAP, it's still going in :)

I've uploaded the Anirog version of Frogger if you wish to check it out. I know Anirog did license games from other companies (especially Kingsoft in Germany) but I believe this is one of theirs...

http://www.mayhem64.co.uk/misc/FroggerAnirog.zip
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

nbla000 wrote:If you want to start it without create a D64 image using Vice on WINDOWS, this is the way:

1) Unrar the tgz file and rename the file "ZFROGGER" as ZFROGGER.PRG

2) open VICE, set the memory as VIC+3K and close VICE.

3) Double click on ZFROGGER.PRG by holding the Caps-Lock key (Run-Stop for VICE) this prevent load and autorun.

4) In Vice (Vic+3K emulated) go up with cursor keys and press "RETURN" above the row LOAD"ZFORGGER.PRG",8,1 and after type SYS4096 to start it instead of RUN.

Enjoy yourself :wink:
Thanks, I did double click on the icon for FROGGERZ.PRG.

Unfortunately, VICE starts, then looks for a file:

LOAD "*",8,1
SEARCHING
?FILE NOT FOUND
READY.

I tried changing "*" to "FROGGERZ.PRG" but it cannot find that either.

I did get the game working from the D64 posted by Mayhem though.

Thanks anyway.
Stinky
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Stinky »

Mayhem wrote: I've uploaded the Anirog version of Frogger if you wish to check it out. I know Anirog did license games from other companies (especially Kingsoft in Germany) but I believe this is one of theirs...
Yes it's pretty much the same game but there are some tiny differences. The intro is different of course, and the lady frogs are a different colour.