New Release : BLUE STAR

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Heh, thanks!
It's a 42" LCD. Makes the VIC text easy to read :)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

As a related note, I picked up a bunch of stuff from Chaosmongers, Cronosoft's eBay account yesterday. Among the items I ordered was one copy each of Blue Star and ViColumn, just for the good cause.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

:D That screen looked crazy.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Old School Gaming finally reviewed Blue Star:
http://www.oldschool-gaming.com/view_re ... _blue_star

Makes me want to start work on a sequel!
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

It's nice to see Blue Star getting the recognition it deserves even if I think giving it an 8 is a little on the low side. :(
Kweepa wrote:Makes me want to start work on a sequel!
Do. It. Now. :)
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

gklinger wrote:I think giving it an 8 is a little on the low side. :(
That's why I want to start on the sequel :)
Seriously though, thanks for the encouragement!
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Finally, a review! :P I'm in agreement with Goran. I think 8 is too low. While not meaning to sound like a brown-nose, Blue Star is my favourite Vic game ever. To me, it's Metroid for the Vic. Even some of the beasties remind me of Metroid baddies but that's no bad thing. While the tune is repetitive it does really suit the game and the overall atmosphere is great. I would score it at least a 9.

As for a sequel; I would kill babies just to have a blast of that! If you do start a follow-up would you keep it for the unexpanded Vic? Personally, I would love to see what you could do with more RAM. Your a talented bloke and having that real estate could only be a bonus... :)
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Then again, Astrol Nell got an "8" as well, so I would consider your efforts at the same bar level (which is fantastic). :shock:

People have to have a Vic-20 mind when reviewing Vic-20 games, but most unintentionally compare quality of a game to the C64 in terms of their expectations :roll:

I think even a 3K expansion version would be great and less work than the higher memory location changes that may be needed with a 8K or 16K increase.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:To me, it's Metroid for the Vic.
Heh... I've no idea why that would be.
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/shee ... rId,31776/
The working title for Blue Star was Metroid Victory :)
If you do start a follow-up would you keep it for the unexpanded Vic?
That's a thorny question... Trying to keep it in 3.5k would be aesthetically ideal, but there's not a great deal of wiggle room left, since I'd like to double everything - rooms, room size, enemies, pickups. So a 3k expansion (with support for 8k/16k) would make more sense. We'll see...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Congrats for advancing from engineer to senior engineer in three years! :)
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Aahh, Metroid VICtory. I see what you did there. :P

I wonder why nobody else has picked up on the Metroid feel...
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Aahh, Metroid VICtory. I see what you did there. :P

I wonder why nobody else has picked up on the Metroid feel...
I was born too early. The NES seems too "new" to me to be included in my retro-computing collection, so I've never played Metroid.
Richard James
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Richard James »

I made a gameplay video of bluestar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgUdiIHU5aQ

It is made with VICE and so it is not as good as I would have liked. Also it only displays a little area of the game.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
TMR
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by TMR »

Centallica wrote:People have to have a Vic-20 mind when reviewing Vic-20 games, but most unintentionally compare quality of a game to the C64 in terms of their expectations :roll:
An eight or nine is an exceptional game by Oldschool Gaming's scoring system (that's how the "official" writer's guide classifies those two scores in fact) and games earning a maximum ten are very rare because the overall score is a rough average of what the two reviewers give it (rounded up or down depending on the overall review). It's nothing to do with expectations from the C64 to be honest, because no C64 game has ever scored a ten either, in fact we've given just one out to Jonathan Cauldwell's Shoot 'Em Up Designer on the Spectrum and his GameX was probably the closest to getting that mark before that point.

But review scores are only meant to be a guide anyway, essentially if it's above a six it's worth a look. =-)
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

I still think this is one of the most brilliant VIC-games ever. Two questions that nagged me:

- why does the fire-button make the hero jump and "up" on the joystick fire the gun? Wouldn't it make much more sense the other way around? Maybe this can be patched easily with a few POKEs?

- Is there a POKE for unlimited energy? I've had many a try at this game, sometimes getting very far, but never finishing it :-(