New Release : BLUE STAR

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Downloaded the newest version you just put up. Bug fixed! Now I need to try and find those codes for the blue door... more playing needed ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

Sweet dude. Very nice.
Rob
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Just played this game. As has been stated by others, the smooth motion is great! This game certainly beats some that were professionally released on cartridge back in the 1980s.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Very nice game,

I particularly like the clever use of multicolour and smooth animation.. visually it's terrific.

In some ways reminds me of Blagger for the C64 or Big Mac for the C16.. for the unexpanded Vic it's brilliant.

Tricky to play too... I'm crap at it.

I note each screen uses 256 characters - I'm assuming you used a type of compression to maximise the number of screens possible? Any idea how many screens are in the game? Or is that a spoiler too :)

-Glen
3^4 is 81.0000001
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Victragic wrote:I note each screen uses 256 characters - I'm assuming you used a type of compression to maximise the number of screens possible?
Yup, simple Jet Set Willy style compression - draw character x y times in direction z starting at location, err, Q. Although that was a side benefit of keeping the sprite rendering, which I wrote first, as simple as possible.
Any idea how many screens are in the game? Or is that a spoiler too :)
Spoiler:
There are (only) 10 unique layouts over 62 map locations.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Mayhem wrote:Downloaded the newest version you just put up. Bug fixed!
I think it was a video memory problem, now that the file is pucrunched the user may not corrupt this area anymore on start (RUN).

I will add Blue Start to the Mega-Cart, for testing purpose only of course ;-)

i will report you feedback.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Gosh! I just realized since I'm mostly browsing with a text-only browser these days, I yet haven't seen a single screen shot of this game, much less downloaded it to play. :oops:

Another embarassing confession to make is that I can't remember having played Glen's Frogger 2007 neither, despite being considered the best new VIC-20 game of last year. :oops: I'm sliding behind on news. I even prepared a floppy full of the very latest VIC games and demos, but alas never got an opportunity to load more than a handful of those.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Well, what are you waiting for? Boot up that VIC!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Better up, I re-organised my floppy disks of recent (1996 and newer) VIC-20 stuff to fit all new releases that I could find. Roughly counting, the VIC community as a whole has produced more than 1 MB of new quality software in the past 10-12 years, of which 64 kB brand new games only in 2006-07, not counting the demo scene releases. Each floppy side has 0-3 blocks free!

In the process, I had to move (upgrade?) Robin's "Splatform 20" from new games to a disk otherwise full of cartridge ROM dumps. :-)
Anders Carlsson

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Oh yes, on the topic: Blue Star is a wonderful new game! I'm particularly impressed by the choice of colour combinations and smooth animated graphics.
Anders Carlsson

Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Thanks!

Off topic again: is there a comprehensive list of those new VIC releases somewhere? I've only seen a dozen or so games.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

carlsson wrote:Better up, I re-organised my floppy disks of recent (1996 and newer) VIC-20 stuff to fit all new releases that I could find.
Hi Anders, may you share with us these floppies as d64/d81 image ?

Maybe someone miss some recent release, thank you.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Ivanhoe76
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Ivanhoe76 »

kweepa, I want to say just one thing: GREAT JOB... Never seen such a clever use of multicolor graphic and really smooth "sprite" (can we finally define them sprite, guys?) moves... Unbelievable if we consider it's stored in just 3,5 kb. Your new game can really compete with some software produced in the 80's for the vic and (now I know I'm saying something outrageous...) even some Atari 2600 game...Go on like this!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
No one should tolerate death and violence because tolerance will generate habit.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Ivanhoe76 wrote:Your new game can really compete with some software produced in the 80's for the vic and (now I know I'm saying something outrageous...) even some Atari 2600 game
Hey, Atari 2600 is the EVIL! :wink:

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Apart from the big palette and I believe some hardware sprites, I always found VIC graphics superior to the 2600. Due to the much different architecture, you can get so much more detailed graphics without losing gameplay on the VIC. Many games that might look boring or ugly on the VIC-20 are considered totally impossible to implement on the 2600, as I have seen in discussions on AtariAge. But yes, the 2600 was released some 3-4 years ahead of the VIC even if an earlier version of the VIC-I chip might've been available around when the Atari 2600 was released.
Anders Carlsson