Behr-Bonz VIC-20 Multicart available

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Zeela »

Elapsion, how about PAL vs NTSC games? Will it work on my PAL VIC?

// Z
Check out my humble collection of old 'puters an such
http://www.zeela.se
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

I love it when you bitch at me Golan... thank you for telling me what to do with my life. I really need your guidance.
Golan is busy right now, so I'm representing him in answering this....

I don't think Golan was trying to bitch at you in anyway, pulling your chain a bit yes, but with having someone else represent you on a project launch is a bit odd and kinda leaves the buyer wonder if you'd have enough time to complete their cart for them if you're so "busy".

Now be nice guys or we'll have to put you in the corner where Killpiller is right now :wink:
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

eslapion wrote:The PCB of the Behr Bonz cart is about the same size as the board inside any commodore made VIC-20 game cart. And it has been designed so you can put it in a VIC game cart plastic case. It has the proper screw hole in the center for that.
Cool.
Shippping to canada depends on your postal code. Canada Posts has just modified their pricing. Generally, it varies from 7$ to 11$.
Okay, thanks.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Centallica wrote:...having someone else represent you on a project launch is a bit odd and kinda leaves the buyer wonder if you'd have enough time to complete their cart for them if you're so "busy".
Actually, spending less time to answer questions and provide technical details allows me to spend more time making the carts.

I hope you understand.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

What's really perplexing is that eslapion has decided to act as Gideon's spokesperson for the 1541-Ultimate.

Anyway, the Behr-Bonz sounds cool. Not as cool as the MegaCart though so I'm going with the more capable device. I guess a MegaCart vs. Behr-Bonz poll is in order.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

gklinger wrote:What's really perplexing is that eslapion has decided to act as Gideon's spokesperson for the 1541-Ultimate.

Anyway, the Behr-Bonz sounds cool. Not as cool as the MegaCart though so I'm going with the more capable device. I guess a MegaCart vs. Behr-Bonz poll is in order.
What Golan is trying to say is that being a "spokesperson" for another product oe person is becoming a upcoming new trend lately :P :lol:

I'll stop here :oops:
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

After all I suppose it is good that Eslapion also made a multicart, for three main reasons:

1. In the original thread, he was one of those in charge (which he unfortunately made clear all too well to other contributors). I suppose the Behr-Bonz cartridge summarizes the original project?

2. Those who would like a multicart for the VIC-20 but are not ready to pay the money the MegaCart will cost to produce, have a cheaper alternative. It may also cut down a bit on Brian's pre-order lists, which I don't think is entirely a bad thing.

3. It may speed up the finishing touches of the MegaCart, so we all get to have a realistic choice of which multicart(s) to get. Who knows, perhaps a third variant emerges before 2008 is over?

I'm just a bit amused that the original project halted with software development, then I (later Nbla000) secretly developed menu software for Brian. Now David just as secretly has developed software for Francois. Probably it is the way to go with projects: get a tight team of hardware and software people and work on your own. Present a finished product once you have it, and from there take suggestions on further improvements. I know e.g. Jeff would like more community efforts, but those barely lead anywhere.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Probably it is the way to go with projects: get a tight team of hardware and software people and work on your own. Present a finished product once you have it, and from there take suggestions on further improvements. I know e.g. Jeff would like more community efforts, but those barely lead anywhere.
True, sometimes "too many cooks spoil the broth".

In keeping with this spirit: I am pleased to announce that the THIRD VIC-20 multiple function cartridge - which I secretly developed all by myself last evening - is now ready for order and shipping!

It's called the "Flexi-Cart" (tm) and is actually just a block of extruded foam cut crudely to the size of a VIC-20 cartridge with a dull butter knife.

FLEXI-CART features:

- weighs much less than any other VIC-20 cartridge.
- guaranteed not to crash your system.
- totally transparent operation: allows VIC to boot up in standard 3K mode!
- extremely low power consumption (none).
- comes with custom made label (masking tape with crayon inscription "FLEXI-CART").
- machine washable.
- truly multi-function:
  • - keeps dust from getting inside your VIC-cartridge port
    - can be used to even out chairs/tables that rock by placing under leg/foot.
    - good for erasing chalk-boards
    - absorbs spills and messes

Here is a picture of the first batch newly arrived from the "factory" (my kitchen).

Only $79.99 US (including shipping)!

So, who will be the first buyer? :lol:
Last edited by ral-clan on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

ral-clan wrote:So, who will be the first buyer? :lol:
I'll update my poll. ;)
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

gklinger wrote:What's really perplexing is that eslapion has decided to act as Gideon's spokesperson for the 1541-Ultimate.
I am not Gideon's spokesperson... :? :shock:

I was thrilled by his project and I wanted to pick his brains for my other ongoing projects.

I spent a couple of hours on MSN messenger asking him questions nobody thought of. He too is an electrical engineer and I was quite surprised how well the guy knows his stuff.

He is WAY better than me with digital electronics.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

ral-clan wrote:So, who will be the first buyer? :lol:

Hummm.... "machine washable" is a very attractive feature I must say! :lol:
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Zeela wrote:Elapsion, how about PAL vs NTSC games? Will it work on my PAL VIC?

// Z
At the moment, the Behr Bonz is fully compatible with NTSC systems.

Most games work with PAL VICs but not all of them.

I will probably develop a ROM content for PAL systems but not for a few months, at least.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I would love to see more info about the menu system. Pics, etc. I'm proud of all of the projects coming to fruition here.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

ral-clan wrote:I am pleased to announce that the THIRD VIC-20 multiple function cartridge - which I secretly developed all by myself last evening - is now ready for order and shipping!

It's called the "Flexi-Cart"...
You are the man!!! :-D Not only is the Flexi-Cart usable on the VIC-20, but it is adaptable (with just some trimming) to any and all Commodores -- adding machines, typewriters, calculators, TV Game, Microchess, PETs, B and P series, Ultimax/Max, C64s, C128s, C16/Plus4/116/232/264, Amigas in any form, C= PC's, the C65, the Commodore LCD... you name it! ;-) Also works on the variants, like the CommodoreOne, C64 DTV, MiniMig, and Clone-A. NTSC, PAL, PAL-N compatible? Bah, the Flexi-Cart doesn't care; it just works. Truly, the Swiss Army knife of the C= world! :-D

What a product!
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
Stinky
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Stinky »

eslapion wrote:I was thrilled by his project and I wanted to pick his brains for my other ongoing projects.
Many of us in the C= community are also very interested in this innovative, modern design. It would have been neighbourly to have a public discussion for the sake of inspiration and purchaser information.
eslapion wrote:I spent a couple of hours on MSN messenger asking him questions nobody thought of. He too is an electrical engineer and I was quite surprised how well the guy knows his stuff.
There are many C= hobbyists who are also electronics engineers, including me. Again, it would be neighbourly to share insights and information. The real innovation in Gideon's design is in the software and integration, more than the digital design in this case,

Please don't look down your nose at other members of the community, the people who support you by purchasing your products as encouragement.