Behr-Bonz VIC-20 Multicart available

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

Thanks for the heads up regarding the reset. I guess I'll just get used to powering off. No biggie. :)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

hawk wrote:Thanks for the heads up regarding the reset. I guess I'll just get used to powering off. No biggie. :)
This may help:
http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 3&start=30
Be normal.
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

Has anyone designed a label for the Behr Bonz multi-cart yet?

If so, maybe you could put a PDF version of it on your site at 8-bit central.

Otherwise I guess I could try my hand at it. :lol:
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Re: Any news on PAL version?

Post by RobertBe »

I wrote:At yesterday's Netherlands Commodore Show, I gave a PAL Behr-Bonz cart to Ron van Schaik, co-organizer of the show.
At the June 24 Commodore Scene meeting in Preston, England, I gave a PAL Behr-Bonz cart to Shaun Bebbington of MicroMart newspaper. He will test out the games on it, too.

Along with Nigel Parker of Commodore
Free magazine, who had one already,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
CommVEx v4 website - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

RobertBe wrote:
I wrote:......
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

RobertBe wrote:At the June 24 Commodore Scene meeting in Preston, England, I gave a PAL Behr-Bonz cart to Shaun Bebbington of MicroMart newspaper. He will test out the games on it, too.
That's very kind of you!

Shaun is a good friend. I chatted with him a couple of times.
Be normal.
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

OK, I've had a go at it. Now don't shoot me down Eslapion, I know it's not really a Denial collaborative effort, but I couldn't think of what else to put there, and I wanted to try the Denial logo. :lol:

If you give me some comments, suggestions, I'll update, and then when you're happy, I'll supply the PDF file for you to host on your Behr Bonz site.

Last edited by hawk on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

eslapion wrote:Shaun is a good friend. I chatted with him a couple of times.
Yup, Shaun is one of the good guys. After the Commodore Scene meeting of June 24, Shaun handed over a very low serial-numbered PAL VIC-20 to me. The two-pin power connector looks different than the one used here in North America, but I will bring it back. If I can get it to run, then it will be at CommVEx v4, running the PAL version of the Behr-Bonz games multicart.

Leaving Rhodes, Greece,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
CommVEx v4 website - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

@Hawk:
Hey that's very nice!

I would be very happy to make your artwork available to the public.

Originally, the sticker that I put on the Behr Bonz EPROM chip uses the Eurostile ExtendedTwo typeface for the word "Commodore" which is the same one used on both the real VICs and all Commodore made VIC cartridges.

Also, on this sticker and on the Behr Bonz web page, the Behr Bonz cartridge logotype uses Stone Serif Bold.

It seems to me like the kind of fonts you have used give a friendlier/funnier feeling to the image of the product.

Maybe you could keep the original Stone Serif Bold font only for the word "Multicart".
Be normal.
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

Hey Eslapion, I'm glad you like it. The main reason I didn't use the real fonts was that I couldn't find out what they are. Now I know what they are, I'm not sure I want to pay that much for a font. :cry:

Anyway, I tend to agree with you about the friendliness and wackiness of the fonts I've used...lets face it, we're all a little bit crazy tinkering with archaic computer equipment. :wink:

I'll try and find an equivalent for the Stone Serif Bold for the "Multicart", and I'll also modify it to indicate PAL or NTSC.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

A bit unrelated, but the following site has helped me quite a couple of times to determine a font:

http://www.whatthefont.com/

You supply an image of well spaced letters, fill in which letters they are supposed to be and the engine tries to look up the closest match. For commercial fonts, it has at least a 90% hit ratio from my experience. Once you have figured out the font, it is more easy to find free or alternative versions.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

I've used the real fonts to create an alternative cart label.

I would have liked to add the "PAL" logo as the part number, but I was unable to find a source of the Superstar font.
Last edited by hawk on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Hawk, I like the first one; but I think there's something missing. Tell me what you think:

:wink:
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

@DQ:
I have soooooooo much respect for people who consider that copying games that were discontinued more than 25 years ago is piracy...

FYI, the plural for sumo (wrestler) is sumi, pronounced "sue me"...

@Hawk:
Your latest revision is stunning!

I know that the font used for the item number (VIC-19XX) was ITC Machine with some sort of outline.
Be normal.
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

DigitalQuirk wrote:Hawk, I like the first one; but I think there's something missing. Tell me what you think: :wink:
I like your modification...but then I play Puzzle Pirates :lol:

I'll some of the Superstar substitue fonts before I release one. They're not exact, but they have the same feel.

An interesting story about the colours I used for the first label...it wasn't until I scanned the Avenger cart that I realised the 16K cart I was copying off had been in the original machine so long, that the colours of the two horizontal strips were different...one having faded. :oops:

When I asked my wife's opinion about the replica cart label...she said that I'd captured the "Baby Poo" colour very well.