Screwing around with the server

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

PaulQ
undead vic

Screwing around with the server

Post by PaulQ »

I had Red Hat 9 installed, and decided to fiddle around when I decided, hey, why not upgrade? So I heard all these great things about FreeBSD. I select all the options I think I had in Red Hat 9, and after swapping disk 1 and 2 like I used to on a 512k single disk drive A500, I ran out of disk space on a 4.3GB hard drive!

Needless to say, I hated the installer. The options screen gave me a very un-detailed look of the packages, with no clue as to how much drive space they would occupy; further, the lack of a facility to compare what I'm installing to the amount of space which is available is simply shameful. All the disk swapping was the icing on the cake. I had to keep swapping disks and answering requests, even though each step kept telling me the volume was full! Why does it keep on going?

I've written off the latest release of FreeBSD for now, and I'm trying out Ubuntu Linux next; but I have a feeling I'll be running back to Red Hat 9 awfully soon...
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

That's too bad. My experiences with FreeBSD have been positive. I prefer its cohesive feel whereas LINUX feels like (and is) a kernel with a bunch of GNU utilities floating around. It's hard to describe. I guess it's like chocolate and vanilla. Everyone has a preference and it's difficult, if not impossible, to convey the reason you prefer one over another.

I hope you find and OS/distribution that works for you.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Well, for some reason, both Ubuntu 6.2 and Red Hat 9 are freezing up during install like a Vic 20 with a bad POKE. I tried different configurations, BIOS settings, even stripping the system down to the basics. I have no idea why it's doing this. The FreeBSD installer doesn't freeze, so it looks like I'm back to doing the two-disk shuffle. It goes like this:

"This is disc #2. Package xxxx is on disc #1. Would you like to switch discs now?"

Back and forth, back and forth... :roll:

Beats locking up, I suppose...but this time I have to be careful not to fill my 4.3GB hard drive.

And people accuse Windows of being bloated... :roll:
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Greetings, from Ubuntu Linux. Mr. Toad's wild ride is over, for now.

This whole sordid tale started when I was at my wits end with Red Hat's Up2Date. I finally did everything I was supposed to do to make it work, I had the latest version installed with all the right scripts and crap, when it ended with an obscure server error.

I got FreeBSD 6.2 installed, to be greeted by a command prompt. StartX wouldn't even do anything. I must've missed something, but don't know what. Now, I'm pretty good at most command line systems. OpenVMS I know extremely well. DOS I also know in and out. OS/2; yep, got that down pat. Even with the Amiga, I get around much better in the CLI/Shell. But Linux? I want my crutch...er, I mean, Gnome. Or KDE. Or whatever. Heck, we're coming up on to 2008! What kind of operating system doesn't install a GUI by default anymore?

I gave Ubuntu one more shot, and it didn't freeze! The installation went very smoothly, though it took a long time to complete. Well, it's done. So, Ubuntu it will be, for now. Who knows; maybe I'll fiddle with the command line only version of FreeBSD on my old Aptiva or something. I've had enough of this crap for now, so I think I'll just fiddle with Ubuntu to see how I like it.