A Vic-20 article in the making (help requested!)

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Mayhem
High Bidder

A Vic-20 article in the making (help requested!)

Post by Mayhem »

So... Darran at Retro Gamer has given me the nod to start work on a Vic-20 article (finally) for the magazine. So as this is the place to be, I figure I'll ask for some assistance in trying to make it the best it can be :)

I've already done a fair amount of research and I can draw on my own personal experiences and knowledge but here's where people can assist:

1) If anyone has got definitive month/year release dates for the machine in Japan, US and UK AND launch prices, that would be a great help. I've got some figures and such here, but it would be great to confirm for sure.

2) Aside from the Vic-20 designation in the West (and VC-20) and Vic-1001 for Japan, there isn't any other random, obscure version of the hardware I don't know about?

3) The hardware articles have been changed slightly to allow for more factual information, and a nod to communities and websites. Naturally I'm going to include this place first and foremost, but I need four in total. What other places would you recommend to include? Naturally I have a few thoughts but would like to hear what you think ;)

4) Any links to interviews, articles, features etc on the machine or the people involved in creating it that I might not be aware of would be great to add to the background writing.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

2) I don't think so. There certainly were prototypes of one thing or another, but nothing that went to production. Well, perhaps you should mention VIC-21 which simply was a bundle consisting of a VIC-20 and a 16K memory expansion. As far as I understand, it is not built into the machine, but just a regular memory expansion. Does anyone know otherwise?

3) Other sites... Is Zimmers' FTP and Arma's TAP archives not kosher for Retro Gamer to print? Perhaps Bo's vic20tapes.org falls in the same category. GameBase 20? Is there a presentable page for the Mega-Cart?

4) Many years ago, Rick Melick conducted a series of interviews with important VIC people. They are still archived somewhere, and would be good to refer to, perhaps as one of the links above if you can find a reliable archive (on Digital Press, I believe).
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

2) That's what I gather as well, and seemingly presented as such at the SWoC site. I had wondered to include it, but have decided not because it isn't a revision of the hardware at all.

3) They need to be either forums, communities or websites. Places to download dumped games are definitely off limits. Cosine's site is another one I will most likely use for example.

4) Already referenced and read. I may attempt to send an email to him if I want to use any quotes from them. There is also a great history of the machine on the old Geocities too... if you can find it heh...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Most (but not all?) VIC-20 demos should be available on Pouët, although that is far from a VIC-20 centric website.

Of course you are going to mention the two major board revisions of the VIC-20, even if the key hardware is the same? It is particularly interesting because the power connector is different, and the case differs slightly as well.
Anders Carlsson

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I don't think it would warrant it as much as say Commodore's revision of the C64 from breadbin style machine to the slimline model. Now that would definitely be included if I was now writing the piece for the C64 based on the new "template" of doing the hardware features. To this end the standard Vic-20 and Vic-1001 are all that will be specifically separated and mentioned.

You could argue the Vic-1001 isn't much different from the Vic-20, but then again the Japanese ROM and the whole concept of the machine being created and released first in Japan define its existance anyhow...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I suppose more or less official localizations are not interesting either?
Anders Carlsson

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

No, just major variations of the hardware...
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

When Ward Shrake left the retrocomputing world he kept his Digital Archeology pages archived on Digital Press's website at http://www.digitpress.com/the_digs/vic20/ . Lots of good info there.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yes, it's a place I know well :)

Also now there's question #5...

5) It will probably come down to me to pick a list of ten games to feature, or something they will take into consideration. So suggestions, your favourites. Anything considered. I might even try to sneak one of Jeff's games in there ;)
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

http://www.eskimo.com/~areed/vic/

small, but interesting site...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Mayhem wrote:I might even try to sneak one of Jeff's games in there ;)
:lol: Woo-hoo!!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

We previously ran polls for your favorite VIC-20 game, although a bit limited selection. Three of my favorites would be Jelly Monsters, Omega Race and Metagalactic Llamas, while others may list the whole catalogue of Jeff Minter and so on. Jelly is so good that Namco should've convinced Commodore to strike a deal and get 25-50% of the profits instead of taking it off the market. The Atarisoft Pac-Man is much more dull as I remember it.

If you want to include newish stuff that does amazing things with the hardware, Dragonwing ought to be on the list although its gameplay is rather simple. It all depends on whether it should be top 10 most memorable games, personal favorites, most signficiant, most advanced, most playable and so on.
Anders Carlsson

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I suspect most of the games should be commercial, from the era releases (normally how it works) but as said I'm gonna try and slip a new one in there or two ;)

Matrix (aka AMC), Jelly Monsters and Omega Race were three I'd already flagged up to be included. If I pick a Jeff title it would be Game Theory. Just need to select another six...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

IMHO, all the best in each game genre should be represented. For this reason, and keeping as a reference the Best Game Ever poll, I would include:

Coin-op conversions
1) Jelly Monsters
2) Gorf
3) Battlezone
4) Radar Rat Race

Arcade / Platform
4) Omega Race
5) Gridrunner
6) Metagalactic lamas
7) Bonzo (or Perils of Willy?)

Strategy / Adventure / RPG

8 ) Sargon II Chess
9) Scott Adam's Pirate's Cove
10) Brendan Jones' Sorcery (a great attempt for a serious RPG, but maybe I'm the only fan here :( )

:wink:
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Atarisoft did a couple good conversions (even if Jelly Monsters is a better Pac-Man than Pac-Man). I'm mainly thinking about Jungle Hunt and Pole Position, but also Moon Buggy. However, these are coin-ops or ported from other systems so no VIC exclusive titles that made it famous.

Atlantis or any other Imagic cartridge? They may not be so famous, but were among the technically most advanced for its era.
Anders Carlsson