VIC-1605 VICmodem adaptor?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

It is definitely time for a Darkstar revival.

Ian: Is the copy of Darkstar you have fully functional now?

Maybe we should add Darkstar compatibility to CGTerm. I've long considered adding in sound effects for dial tone, busy tone, dialing and connecting and I think it would be cool if it could automatically download a phonebook from a central repository where sysops could list their boards. I would also like to see it expanded to support ASCII, ANSI and ATASCII. Might as well make it a universal tool for everyone who likes BBSing. What do you think?

Whoa, way off topic now. :)
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Was it my imagination, or did Darkstar and Darkterm seem to go hand-in-hand with pirate BBSs in the mid 1980s? I just seem to remember that every single Darkstar BBS was a pirate board back then. Well, there was one exception, it was run by a fellow who was a Jehovah's Witness though and had a bit of a religious slant to his board.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

ral-clan wrote:Was it my imagination, or did Darkstar and Darkterm seem to go hand-in-hand with pirate BBSs in the mid 1980s?
99% of the time (not that I'm implying that Ian and I did or did not engage in any illegal activities.) :)
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Ian Colquhoun
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Ian Colquhoun »

Well, there are 2 issues with the versions of Darkstar that I have.

1. Darkstar 3.1 is now completely cracked. See here. The problem is that the only modem driver I have which is for the 1670 rev 2 doesn't behave with tcpser or bbs server properly. I also don't have the original documentation anymore and haven't been able to track anyone down with it.

2. I also have an original copy of Darkstar '88, but it hasn't been cracked yet. I have full documentation for it though which is a bonus. I'll try to make some time soon to set up a system and see whether I can get it to behave properly online.

As for the pirate thing, I knew of one other Darkstar non-pirate board. Strangely, it was the only Darkstar board I knew of that ran in ASCII mode. Why you would run Darkstar in ASCII and not Colour (PETSCII) was absolutely beyond me. :)
Realms of Mystery BBS
bbs.pipesup.ca 6400
(currently offline)