Game Theory

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Game Theory

Post by Jeff-20 »

"Game Theory -- quite possibily the greatest unexpanded VIC-20 game of all time." -Ghislain Debois (creator of Realms of Quest)

The blurb should ensure everyone will try it. :) This is an updated version of a game included on the Denial Collection I mailed out. This version should be much better. Despite the simplicity of the code, it seems to be one of my best games. I hope you like it. I've been working on the idea of a super-duper 8k version. This version will be in the MiniGame Comp.

Game Theory
Unexpanded VIC 20, all BASIC, Joystick required.

GAME THEORY Instructions
by Jeffrey Daniels

The object of the game is to survive a variety of mini-games. Each round will only give you a few seconds to figure out what to do.

Only the joystick’s fire button is needed to complete each task. Some games may test your reflexes with a perfectly timed press. Some games may require you to rapidly press the button. Others may require different strategies for pressing the button.

Determine the best action for each game. If you are correct, you will advance to the next round. An incorrect reaction will return you to the title screen. Try to beat the high score. As you play longer, more mini-games will be unlocked.
The zip file download contains the instructions and a PRG file.
DOWNLOAD

Please post high scores.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

yes, that damn frustrating balloon level :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I thought I fixed that.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i am sure you did, it is my brain you need to fix :)
6502dude
megacart

Re: Game Theory

Post by 6502dude »

Jeff-20 wrote:"Game Theory -- quite possibily the greatest unexpanded VIC-20 game of all time." -Ghislain Debois (creator of Realms of Quest)

The blurb should ensure everyone will try it. :)
I played it for a few minutes this morning, on MegaCart :wink:
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've choice in the 8k version of this game. The unexpanded version uses only the fire button. For the 8k version, a lot of games are possible. I can't decide if I should stick with the single button control (making new games easier to figure out) or expand to full joystick control for a greater variety of games.
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

great unexpanded game but the 8k version should have full joystick control, please with sugar on :D
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

d0c wrote:great unexpanded game but the 8k version should have full joystick control, please with sugar on :D
I disagree, the extremely simple controls are part of the charm and hook of this game. Keep it single button!

I really like how many different things Jeff has thought of with just one button. I bet he can come up with some more for an expanded version.

Jeff: If you can think of a whole bunch of other games that have other controls, why not make a whole new game?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I think yes, make the joystick involved somehow not just the fire button. As this is based on Wario Ware anyhow, I'm sure Jeff can come up with some wacky ideas heh... but the joy is in the simplicity anyhow :)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I like the fact it is an all one button game! Keep it a single button game!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Since I posted on Ghost, I will post here too. I already revisited this game. I am still happy with the revisions. I think the difficulty level has been improved.

I decided a long time ago to make this a series. Like King of Fighters in the 90s, a release every year. Then I forgot and started to work on other projects.

Then someone played it at ECCC and really seemed to enjoy it. Now, I am determined to make a sequel to this game this weekend! No excuses.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Jeff, while you're at it, could you PLEASE make a slowed-down version of this game for young children?

It's really a perfect kid's game: simple controls, variety, fun things to do. But the current version is too fast (but damn fun for adults). My 5 year old daughter would love to play this game, but it's way to fast for her.

Thanks! :D
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ahhh. I could go back and make a child option like the old Atari games used to have. Or would it be better to have a whole different program with themes more kid friendly? Making a whole new program might be the easier option from a programming viewpoint.

The next big issue is "quantity or quality." Should I work for more games or fewer games of better quality / complexity (sound effects, background graphics)?
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Jeff-20 wrote:Ahhh. I could go back and make a child option like the old Atari games used to have. Or would it be better to have a whole different program with themes more kid friendly? Making a whole new program might be the easier option from a programming viewpoint.
Doesn't really matter. A stand-alone would probably be better...more key-presses and screen prompts for skill level (eg. 0 - child to 9 - adult) just mean more calls of "Daddy! Daddy! What do I press now to start it?" when I'm in the other room. I've made a whole disk of just VIC games that she can play (kids that cannot read yet). There's about 20 games, of which about 10 or so get real play. I think a child's version of "Game Theory" would be on the top 10 list!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks for the feedback! I'm on it.

Although now I am thinking: games like the card game (higher or lower) may not be kid themed. Same with the fish counting game. Should I replace those thinking games with more simple reflex games? I'm not sure.