Atari 600XL vs 800XL

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

pitcalco
just pitcalco

Atari 600XL vs 800XL

Post by pitcalco »

Long ago, about 1984 I got an Atari 600XL. Actually, it belonged to a neighbour to gave it to me as a "permanent loan" and I took up programming again after a short hiatus from the VIC 20.

It was that computer that I really got humminf with all sorts of BASIC programs of my own. Only thing was that I only had the computer. No storage device at all and after I typed it all in, once I switched it off it was all gone. :cry:

Now after about a year, the neighbour decided he wanted back his 600XL. I was heartbroken, but come Christmas I got an 800XL from parents. (Again, no storage device) and I was in heaven getting back into programming all sorts of neat things. And then losing it all at night when I had to switch it off.

As I remember, the 600XL has 16K RAM and the 800XL had 64K, but other than that I don't recall any difference whatsoever either in the BASIC language structure, or graphics or sound capabilities etc. I suppose that I could have made longer programs on the 800, but as I did not have a tape or disk drive, it was hardly worth it.

So my question is if anyone is aware of any other difference between the two models or was it just a question of the amount of memory.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Re: Atari 600XL vs 800XL

Post by gklinger »

pitcalco wrote:So my question is if anyone is aware of any other difference between the two models or was it just a question of the amount of memory.
The only differences were the size of the RAM and the size of the computer. The 600XL was slightly smaller.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

There even existed official memory upgrades to turn a 600XL into 800XL, just like you could upgrade a ZX Spectrum 16K to 48K and many other. I suppose if Commodore had released a cheaper 16K verson of the C64 (perhaps instead of the MAX and definitely instead of the later TED line), they would've had an internal memory expansion for that one too.

On the other hand, it probably was good that the "Commodore 64-16K" didn't show up in late 1982, early 1983. Priced inbetween the VIC-20 and C64, it could have killed off the VIC-20 even earlier than what happened.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

gklinger wrote:
pitcalco wrote:So my question is if anyone is aware of any other difference between the two models or was it just a question of the amount of memory.
The only differences were the size of the RAM and the size of the computer. The 600XL was slightly smaller.
Oh that's right. And I did wonder why the 800XL needed to be about 3 inches wider just for the sake of the memory. Also, if I remember correctly, you could connect a proper monitor to the 800XL while the 600XL was TV only, is that right?
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

pitcalco wrote:Also, if I remember correctly, you could connect a proper monitor to the 800XL while the 600XL was TV only, is that right?
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. The NTSC 600XL doesn't have a composite output. The PAL version does but it lacks the chroma output. Very odd.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
zhx
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by zhx »

A couple days ago I added an Atari 800XL auction to my "watched" list on one of my favorite auction sites, but then spaced it out and missed the ending! It sold for $16. Would have loved to have that.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

It sounds like the buyer got a fair deal. The Ataris are less common than e.g. Commodores, and thus tend to bring in higher bids even loose.

As for the size difference, perhaps the motherboards are different so the 800XL one is well designed to fit 64K while the 600XL will need a bit of piggy backing and other nastyness to get the full memory upgrade? Just a speculation, I haven't investigated the matter.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image