50%
No
50%

Total votes: 16

pitcalco
just pitcalco

Slide rules

Post by pitcalco »

Seeing that we are talking about all sorts of computer systems (even mechanical calculators), I wanted to give my salute to my all time favourite computing machine: the slide rule.

Some may say I am living in the past, and I am. I do not know anyone else who knows both Latin and can use a slide rule. I will be sure to erect a runestone and write a poem (on a clay tablet) to its honour.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

No way, man. I was digital from the day I was born; I grew up in the digital revolution, and hated anything analog almost as much as I hated disco. ;)
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

DigitalQuirk wrote:No way, man. I was digital from the day I was born; I grew up in the digital revolution, and hated anything analog almost as much as I hated disco. ;)
I plead the fifth!
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Slide rules. Ah, yes. :) One moment ... 3 x 4 = 11,99 (I made the calculation 5 times, and then took the average. ;) )

Greetings,

Michael
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Mike wrote:Slide rules. Ah, yes. :) One moment ... 3 x 4 = 11,99 (I made the calculation 5 times, and then took the average. ;) )

Greetings,

Michael
You were only joking, but I have worked with people who will take out a calculator to solve 3 x 4 or more commonly when multiplying by 10! (that is ten with an exclamation mark to express my incredulance, not 10 factorial).

Perhaps the slowness of using a slide rule would have encouraged better mental math habits.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

Nope...but since by Brother In law collects them, maybe I'll get him to teach me next time we catch up. :wink:

--Hawk