System Rivalries

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Did you ever, even as a child, look down at people with a different computer system than your own?

Yes, it was my way or the highway!
66%
No, to each his own.
34%

Total votes: 32

pitcalco
just pitcalco

System Rivalries

Post by pitcalco »

Say, does anyone remember from his or her youth ( that is those who were teenagers or younger in the 80's) any rivalries at school depending on what computer you had?

Today, we can talk about all sorts of 8-bit systems and delight in them all, but back in school I was one of the few to have an Atari 800XL and that fact made me a laughing stock among all the C64 owners. I myself liked Commodore as well, but I always had to end up defending myself against charges that the C64 was "better" and that I personally sucked for having an Atari.

What was worse was the Commodore vs. Apple II rivalry going on in school which even broke down into fisticuffs in the lunch hall.

Virtually noone had an IBM at home back then. I knew only one boy who did and we all put that down to his father "owning a business".

During my life I have had Ataris, Commodores, Apples, PCs, and Texas Instruments, so I guess I would either have to be neutral or just punch absolutely everyone in the nose.

Does anyone else recognise this from the past?
Last edited by pitcalco on Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I got a VIC 20 at the very end of its life cycle. The prices were dropping, and the VIC was the only computer in our price range. So, others looked down on me for having a dated "toy". The Atari XL series was the home computer of choice at the time.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

This is still going on even today :) And I don't mean the XBox360 vs. PS3 vs. Wii arguments, though that's happening too.

C-64 vs. Spectrum threads frequently occur on comp.sys.cbm, and in fact gave birth to the Minigame Competition that has produced quite a few good games for many systems. And there have been a number of C-64 vs. Atari 8-bit threads on both lemon64.com and atariage.com

I participate when I'm in the mood, especially if it's staying fairly technical rather than personal :)

Nowadays I own many different computers from many different companies, but I still have favourites.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

These computer wars were one of the great part of the early 1980s! :D
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Yes, I was young and arrogant once. I thought my A500 was the best computer EVER. In fact, I participated in many "Amiga vs." forums on local BBS's with a lot of ambition and no real knowledge of the other systems I was putting down.
Ian Colquhoun
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Ian Colquhoun »

Wasn't there newsgroups comp.sys.*.advocacy specifically for putting other systems down? :lol:
Realms of Mystery BBS
bbs.pipesup.ca 6400
(currently offline)
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

I just wanted to recruit others to getting the same system so we could swap games etc.... no dice though, I think I had the only Plus/4 in town.

Where did Commodore fit in in the US? There were always reports that Commodore did better abroad than in the USA.. certainly here, almost everyone who had a computer had a C64..
3^4 is 81.0000001
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

> Did you ever, even as a child, look down at people with a different
> computer system than your own?

Actually when I was a child, there was no one who had a personal computer system (and neither did I). :-)

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

[quote="RobertBe"]> Did you ever, even as a child, look down at people with a different
> computer system than your own?

Actually when I was a child, there was no one who had a personal computer system (and neither did I). :-

:wink: Showing your age there, aren't you Robert Be?
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

When it comes to technical comparisons, I gladly got into discussions of the different systems. I prefered my Atari to the C64 or VIC for its graphics and the ease in programming them thanks to a much more verbose BASIC dialect.

However, I did recognise some things I would have liked to have been different in the Atari 800XL. I did not like that there was no synthesiser chip like the SID chip in Commodore. As for the BASIC, I did not like that it was necessary to DIM all variables before using them, even ones with only one element. I would have liked to have had DOS built into the disk drive as well.

These were clever arguments. But I never quite got the whole "you suck" thing about having a different computer and the moral condemnations of anyone with a different system. After all, it was our parents who bought the things in the first place.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Victragic wrote:I just wanted to recruit others to getting the same system so we could swap games etc.... no dice though, I think I had the only Plus/4 in town.

Where did Commodore fit in in the US? There were always reports that Commodore did better abroad than in the USA.. certainly here, almost everyone who had a computer had a C64..
I don't know about the US. But here in Canada, Commodore ruled as computer of choice among elementary & secondary school students. A lot of this because Commodore was really tight with schools for providing computers for their education labs.

I do remember bashing someone who owned a C128 after I got an Amiga 500. Also I did post to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy a few times.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

ral-clan wrote:
I do remember bashing someone who owned a C128 after I got an Amiga 500. Also I did post to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy a few times.
I preferred bashing Atari ST's and PC's myself. In actual fact, I was always jealous at how much better the 520ST and 1040ST looked than my A500, as far as case styling went.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I haven't really heard much about the new Commodore C=XX. I guess they were banking on people like us to buy it. I only found out about the CommodoreGaming website here on the forum.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

pitcalco wrote: :wink: Showing your age there, aren't you Robert Be?
Yeah... and proud of it! :-D

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Jeff-20 wrote:I haven't really heard much about the new Commodore C=XX.
Well, I posted news about it on the Homestead, commodor, acug0447, and auscbm mailing lists. Also posted it to http://cbm.videocam.net.au . Also posted it at the newsgroups, comp.sys.cbm, alt.c64, rec.games.video.classic, comp.sys.amiga.misc, and alt.folklore.computers

Truly,
Robert Bernardo