System Rivalries

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Did you ever, even as a child, look down at people with a different computer system than your own?

Yes, it was my way or the highway!
66%
No, to each his own.
34%

Total votes: 32

nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

I remember a lot of computer rivalries when I was a child. One group of friends had consoles (Intellevision and Emerson-Arcadia) and we were continually fighting about who had the best video games. I eventually won because I had tons of tape games that I bought at the news kiosk for $7 (4 or more games) when they paid $70 for cartdrige games.

Later I learned Basic and went on fighting with another group of friends who had z80 based computers from Video Technology (Laser110, 210 and 310). They had a nice basic, but they were poor on graphics and sounds, so I won again with my envied 3k VIC-20.

When they switched for the more powerful Laser500 (64K+hires color) I switched for Amiga500, and wow, there was no compare to be done.

When I later switched for intel based PC, I was still fighting with another group of Amiga enthusiasts (me being the traitor) about who had the most powerful computer. We decided to solve the debate with a contest. Winner of the contest was the computer that was able to draw the classical mandelbrot set (the big "8") in the shortest time. My friends had written a C program in Lattice C for the Amiga, while I wrote mine in Microsoft Quick C for my 16Mhz 286. I had a twice faster CPU, but mine was 16 bit and with less registers. When I was informed that the Amiga program was faster than mine, I rewrote my C program in assembler in order to get more speed. But that wasn't enough, so I wrote a floating point library of my own which used less bits respect to the "float" data type and indeed that resulted in a faster (but less precise) draw of the mandelbrot set that the Amiga's one.

Ah, the good old times!
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Wow, nippur. You really took the rivalries seriously! Good job, btw.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

It sounds like Nippur could work for Apple's marketing division. You know, how they used a particular filter in Adobe Photoshop as a qualifying benchmark to show how a Mac G4 was twice as fast as the nearest PC in the same price mark.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

WOW Nippur you still alive...

happy to see you.

When i had a Vic all my friend had a C64 :?

When i had the C64 all my friend had a Amiga500 :x

When i had the Amiga500 all my friend had an Amiga1200 :evil:

Now i've a PC, 3 Vic-20, 3 C64 and 3 Amiga1200 and all my friends have a PC only and dribble when they see my Commodore collection, Yeees!!! 8)
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Must get around to buying one of those newfangled Amiga things myself oneday.
3^4 is 81.0000001
Loeckchen
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Loeckchen »

Oh yeah, back then when I was in 5th grade of grammar school (it's 1st grade in Britain). I used to have an Amiga 500 and two years later a 1200 and looked down on all the other kids with their x86 DOS/Windows PCs. But they did the same to me, and the arguments were quite funny... "What, you have no sound card in your Amiga? You like the beep-beep sound?" - They didn't know of the Amiga's on-board PAULA chip... Plus, they said my Amiga was only capable of displaying 16 colours where their PC could do 256. Again, they didn't know the Amiga was theoretically capable of displaying 4096 colours.

Earlier when I had my first computer, an Atari 130XE, the rivalries were not that bad, in the former GDR which had just been reunited, computers weren't common and the ones who had one, had many different models. There were x86s, Amigas, Ataris, C64s, Spectrums, but only about 3 or 4 people in my class with access to a computer (and I was the only one then who had his own).

The rivalries between envious people not having access to a computer were bigger that time, because I had my own and it was my main thing which I spent my free time with, I was disliked and called a nerd. The computer was just some machine who makes people dumb because you don't have to use your brains to solve a problem.

Back then I was quite angry on that, but nowadays I laugh about it.

PS: This was my first post. Gotta tell a little about myself later.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

The computer was just some machine who makes people dumb because you don't have to use your brains to solve a problem.
Oh yes! I forgot all about that one. Of course, getting the computer to solve those problems for you takes a lot of brains and imagination. Computers hardly make people stupid.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I started out at a little computer club at the local library. We had a TRS-80 Model I, Coco3 and a VIC20. I wasn't picky - they were all fun to use!

I ended up with a VIC at home because it was by far the cheapest, so that's where most of my nostalgia lies.

But I remember visiting a friend who had an ADAM computer - I'll bet he was the only one in 1000 miles who had one :wink: But it was still pretty fascinating to play around with.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I am almost positive (have a strong memory) that the ADAM folks had a booth at one of the mid-1980s World of Commodore shows at the International Centre in Toronto.

It was the first time I saw an Adam, and when I saw all that it came with I was impressed at the time. I remember the demo kiosk and the guy using the word processor.

I think it must have been near the end of the Adam's life becuase they were selling them very cheaply.
Last edited by ral-clan on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I've always been in the Commodore camp but I had a Colecovision and loved it (still do actually) so I was curious about the Adam. I was tempted to get one in 1986 when they were being blown out for $99 but I didn't have the room for it and I wasn't entirely sure what I would do with it.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I agree, other than the technical faults (power-up spikes & magnetic fields that slowly deleted cassettes left in the drive) and the fact that the power supply was inside the printer, I've always thought the ADAM a cool computer.

It certainly came with a library of great games (Colecovision) right off the bat.

If it had been resleased a couple of years earlier, it might have given Commodore a run for its money.

Here are some statistics for the sales of different computer models from 1975-198x. Might provide some insight:

http://www.jeremyreimer.com/total_share.html
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

upping this old post to add this nice story I found on the net. It's on the C64 but could apply to VIC-20 as well.

http://www.alfonsomartone.itb.it/fztsmo.html
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Great story, nippur72. The Commodorians were over-confident and under-prepared; the winner wasn't necessarily the best computer, but rather the best prepared team. The Commodore team could have easily loaded in TurboTape to accelerate tape loading times, along with one of many BASIC extensions that provided the C64 with a much more competitive and comprehensive BASIC. Of course, a computer is only as good as its programmer and/or the person who is using it, so in this instance, the Commodore 64 was clearly inferior. Given this series of "Tests," a properly prepared Vic 20 could be made to appear superior to the C64.